Official 2018 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

Looking at average rankings on 247, Gophers are behind OSU, PSU, MI, NE, MSU, WI, MD, and in a tie with NW. Slightly ahead of IA, IL, and IN. Purdue and Rutgers yet to get a commit.

Looks like very good chance to finish in top ten in the conference if things keep up like this. Third or fourth in Big Ten West would be nice.

What!? Top ten? In a 14 team league?! Claeys coulda done that! (I said as I duck the garbage and rotted fruit thrown my way)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What!? Top ten? In a 14 team league?! Claeys coulda done that! (I said as I duck the garbage and rotted fruit thrown my way)

Wait till signing day before you throw the baby out with the bath water.

You said what we were...

Be certain that if we finish ranked 10th it will be a better 10th than past 10th place teams. Much better.

Be certain that if we finish ranked 10th it will be a better 10th than past 10th place teams. Much better.

So.... this will be an ELITE tenth as opposed to the un-elite tenths and ninths and eighths of years past. Progress!

Can't blame a kid for wanting to do his own thing.

Exactly. At 18, I couldn't wait to get away from parental control. Now, I can't spend enough time with my parents. They were right about so many things that I thought I knew better. I wish the kid all the best.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

GopherHole Q&A: Austin Beier Says He Committed to U Because Engineering Program and Coach Fleck
By Chris Monter

http://www.gopherhole.com/news_article/show/781084?referrer_id=

Austin Beier, a 6-foot-4, 260-pound defensive tackle from Toledo (OH) St. John's Jesuit, recently committed to Minnesota.

Beier helped lead the Titans to a 6-4 record this past season.GopherHole caught up with Beier to learn the latest on his commitment.

Gopher Hole: You committed to Minnesota recently. What was the main reason that you decided Minnesota was where you wanted to be?

Austin Beier: The two biggest reasons were their Engineering program and Coach Fleck.

Gopher Hole: I know that you just committed, but do you feel a bit of a weight has been lifted off your shoulder already?

Austin Beier: Yes. I am feeling a bit of relief now that I am committed and especially somewhere where you really wanted to commit to.

Gopher Hole: Had you planned on making your college choice this early in the process?

Austin Beier: I didn't really have a set date I wanted to commit. I hadn't really planned on doing it this early, though.

Gopher Hole: What was it that made you make the choice when you did?

Austin Beier: I knew what I wanted to do. I didn't have any doubts when I went into it. There was nothing to wait for.

Gopher Hole: How would you describe yourself as a football player?

Austin Beier: Smart, probably. Read the defense. Know what they are going to do. Pick up on schemes and keys.

Gopher Hole: What has the reaction been among your family and friends since your commitment?

Austin Beier: They were very happy for me.

Gopher Hole: Had you ever been to Minnesota before or did you know much about Minnesota before your visit?

Austin Beier: Not really. Never been that far West.

Gopher Hole: What all did you get a chance to see and do when you were here in Minnesota?

Austin Beier: I got to see everything. I visited the Engineering program. I toured the campus. Went through the stadium, the practice facilities. Got put on a hard hat and walk through the construction. Got to see the dorms.

Gopher Hole: What were your parents' impressions of Minnesota?

Austin Beier: They loved it as much as I did.

Gopher Hole: Had you had a chance to visit many campuses so far?

Austin Beier: I visited quite a few places.

Gopher Hole: You also had offers from Indiana, Ohio University, Cincinnati, Boston College and Northwestern. What other schools were you hearing from besides those along with Minnesota?

Austin Beier: I talked to Michigan State and a little bit from Duke.

Gopher Hole: With your commitment, will you still attending any football camps this summer or are you going to shut that down since you know where you are going to play?

Austin Beier: I am going to one camp (a regional camp in Cincinnati), but that is going to be it.

Gopher Hole: St. John's Jesuit had 6-4 record this past season. What are the expectations for the upcoming season?

Austin Beier: Make the playoffs this year. We have been one step away from the playoffs the last two years. Getting over that hump.

Gopher Hole: What would it mean to you to get to the playoffs?

Austin Beier: To get to the playoffs would mean that you would have to beat one of the three top teams in our league, which we haven't down for a few years. Beating any of those teams would be a great win.

Gopher Hole: Do you play any other sports anymore or are you just football-only now?

Austin Beier: I played basketball last year. I'm not sure if I am going to be playing it next year, but it definitely helps me with my footwork and staying in shape.

Gopher Hole: Do you come from a sports-minded family?

Austin Beier: My grandpa played for Michigan. My great uncle (Tom Beier) played at Miami of Florida and was with Dolphins. My uncles all played football My dad (Mike, who played offensive guard) went to Fordham University and was a captain there. He played baseball, too. My brother (an eighth grader) is probably going to play football somewhere, too.

Gopher Hole: If you are thinking about Engineering, you must be a good student. Has academics always been important to you?

Austin Beier: Yes. Grades have always been important, especially looking into college classes. Taking AP's in high school really sets you apart and gets you going earlier.

Gopher Hole: Have you thought about try to come up to Minnesota in the fall or have you even thought about when your official visit would be?

Austin Beier: I am talking to my family about the spring game, but is kind of a long drive, so we don't know exactly when the next trip is going to be.

Gopher Hole: Was it more to tell the other schools that you were going someplace else?

Austin Beier: A little bit, but the confidence that I had in my decision made it easier.

Gopher Hole: Have you gotten to know any of the other Minnesota commits from the 2018 recruiting class yet?

Austin Beier: Yes. I started talking to them a little bit this past weekend since I committed.

Gopher Hole: What are they saying to you?

Austin Beier: They are just excited that I committed and we are ready to play together soon.

Gopher Hole: Is it kind of nice even though you have never met, you have some future "brothers" that you have gotten to know a little bit?

Austin Beier: Yes. Definitely.

Go Gophers!!

per Greder:

The Gophers received an oral commitment Thursday from Jornell Manns, a 5-foot-10, 187-pound wide receiver from Mansfield, Ohio, he announced on Twitter.

“Im Blessed To Say I Have Committed To Minnesota!” Manns tweeted.

Manns is the ninth player to pledge to the Gophers in the 2018 class and its first wide receiver.

Manns, who is the 23rd-ranked player in Ohio, had reported offers from Wisconsin, Penn State, West Virginia and Kentucky, among others, according to 247sports.com.

http://www.twincities.com/2017/04/13/gophers-receive-commitment-from-ohio-wide-receiver-2/

Go Gophers!!

With the obvious caveat that these kids have to stay committed through signing day, Fleck and his staff are recruiting at a level that we haven't seen since Brewster. Always great to add players with legit speed like Manns.

It sounds like the Ohio connection Brennan Armstrong and Justin Beier have been talking to Jornell Manns.

Is Ohio a new pipeline?

With the obvious caveat that these kids have to stay committed through signing day, Fleck and his staff are recruiting at a level that we haven't seen since Brewster. Always great to add players with legit speed like Manns.

Only difference is that these guys will be around and attend classes and perform at an elite level. Welcome!!

Interesting that only 3 of the 9 committed players fall within the 6-8 hour drive area. Fleck has pretty good coverage on the recruiting blanket right now.

3 Ohio
3 Georgia
2 MN
1 Illinois

Interesting that only 3 of the 9 committed players fall within the 6-8 hour drive area. Fleck has pretty good coverage on the recruiting blanket right now.

3 Ohio
3 Georgia
2 MN
1 Illinois

True - probably has to do with letting his assistants recruit areas they are familiar with.

I just saw some bowling highlights of Manns. Damn, he is a good bowler too! Throwin' rocks as Donnie would say. Might be my favorite recruit in a while because of this, and also the highlight of him escaping 10 would-be tacklers for a score. Great highlight if you haven't seen it. Great get! Keep it up P.J.!

True - probably has to do with letting his assistants recruit areas they are familiar with.

I think the thing is that each coach has a region they're supposed to cover, but the one day drive area is covered by everyone so they're putting extra emphasis there... thus more rewards.

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom