Official 2018 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

I would say he definitely deserves a scholarship offer. That said, it seems as if there is an agreement with Coach Fleck to use that scholly on another recruiting prospect to maximize the talent of this class. If so, he will definitely be my favorite player the next four years.

If there is a promise of a future scholly, he'd be the one to get it for the way he helped recruit IMG.

Saw this on twitter...

For those who prefer offers over rankings...

"According to Rank By Offers, #Gophers have landed players with more top 25 offers (50+) than the 2013-2017 cycles *combined.*"

(this was before Bateman received his new SEC offers this last week).

http://www.rankbyoffers.com/2018fbplayers/?wdt_column_filter[Committedto]=%20%20Minnesota%20%20

Saw this on twitter...

For those who prefer offers over rankings...

"According to Rank By Offers, #Gophers have landed players with more top 25 offers (50+) than the 2013-2017 cycles *combined.*"

(this was before Bateman received his new SEC offers this last week).

http://www.rankbyoffers.com/2018fbplayers/?wdt_column_filter[Committedto]=%20%20Minnesota%20%20

Going by quality offers, then Benjamin Sapp III should by far be our highest rated recruit.

NOTE: According to 247, Sapp was offered by Nebraska on 12/13.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

By "rank by offers" we are 4th in the Big Ten, just ahead of Maryland who is 5th.

Top 3 ahead of us.

PSU #2
OSU #3
Michigan #12
Minn #21

per Greder:

Nathan Boe’s scholarship offer to be in Minnesota’s 2018 recruiting class came down to a one-on-one drill during a camp in June.

The Lakeville North center went against other prospective recruits in a board drill, where after a ball is snap, two players must straddle a long and narrow material laid on the ground while blocking/fighting off the block until one is deemed the winner.

The Gophers coaches kept putting Boe in the drill. He didn’t back down and plowed into his competition across five or six straight reps.

Later in coach P.J. Fleck’s office, Boe recalled how the Gophers head coach said he and offensive coordinator Kirk Ciarrocca had a quick conversation on the field as Boe battled. One of them said he wasn’t leaving until Boe quit. They conferred and decided that wasn’t likely to happened, so the drill was called off in order for everyone to go home and celebrate Father’s Day a little sooner.

Boe was offered a scholarship and committed that same day. The 6-foot-4, 270-pound player is one of five Minnesotans in the Gophers’ incoming class. Although Boe might be the lowest-rated recruit, per 247sports.com’s composite ranking, he makes up for it in heart.

“That speaks to the Gophers but also to Nathan Boe,” said Lakeville North coach Brian Vossen. “That is kind of the type of dude he is. He will keep pounding his head in there over and and over and over again and never stop.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/12/16/lakeville-north-a-focal-point-in-gophers-football-recruiting/

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

When I first saw this tweet, I assumed the worst. I thought he was about to announce his decision to accept the Pitt offer. Since no other tweet has come since, I guess he was referring to his decision to accept a PWO.

What's as important as a touchdown to Jornell Manns? His grades

Most Tyger football fans know Jornell Manns’ numbers on the field – 37 touchdowns and nearly 2,000 total yards gained in his senior season – but many aren’t aware of perhaps his most outstanding number: 4.0.

That’s 4.0 … as in grade-point average … as in straight As.

It’s no fluke that the University of Minnesota recruit, who will receive a coveted statewide award in February, was one of eight Mansfield Senior High seniors to achieve a perfect 4.0 GPA in the semester’s first grading period. He has excelled academically since grade school, applying the same work ethic and determination that led to success between the goal posts.

“I started participating more in class,” Manns said, explaining how he increased his grade-point average from a solid B last year. “Too many people are embarrassed to speak up or read out loud. I’m not.

“I know my teachers. If I have a low A, I ask what I can do to raise it. I don’t want an A minus. I’m always looking to better my grades.”

Manns’ favorite subject is French. He has taken other demanding courses, including Spanish and calculus.

Head football coach Chioke Bradley recalls that Manns completed algebra I as an eighth-grader and achieved the ACT score required by the National Collegiate Athletic Association while still a junior.

“Jornell is a very intelligent human being. He is one of those kids with an ‘old soul’ who grew up at a young age. Those tools made him extremely coachable,” Bradley said.

http://www.tygerpride.com/protected...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Go Gophers!!

When I first saw this tweet, I assumed the worst. I thought he was about to announce his decision to accept the Pitt offer. Since no other tweet has come since, I guess he was referring to his decision to accept a PWO.

This program can't possibly ever have too many guys like this committed to the school. If they somehow establish a pipeline to IMG they will have to put up a monument in his honor. I hope the kid gets to play at some point in his career.

I really like Alex Reigelsperger's video.

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/video/3/6459399/59bb4d910660a635c440d944' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jack York got a bump in rating on 247. Was an 81, now an 83. Moves his 247 Composite from .8405 (24th of 26) to .8472 (19th of 26).

per Greder:

Nathan Boe’s scholarship offer to be in Minnesota’s 2018 recruiting class came down to a one-on-one drill during a camp in June.

The Lakeville North center went against other prospective recruits in a board drill, where after a ball is snap, two players must straddle a long and narrow material laid on the ground while blocking/fighting off the block until one is deemed the winner.

The Gophers coaches kept putting Boe in the drill. He didn’t back down and plowed into his competition across five or six straight reps.

Later in coach P.J. Fleck’s office, Boe recalled how the Gophers head coach said he and offensive coordinator Kirk Ciarrocca had a quick conversation on the field as Boe battled. One of them said he wasn’t leaving until Boe quit. They conferred and decided that wasn’t likely to happened, so the drill was called off in order for everyone to go home and celebrate Father’s Day a little sooner.

Boe was offered a scholarship and committed that same day. The 6-foot-4, 270-pound player is one of five Minnesotans in the Gophers’ incoming class. Although Boe might be the lowest-rated recruit, per 247sports.com’s composite ranking, he makes up for it in heart.

“That speaks to the Gophers but also to Nathan Boe,” said Lakeville North coach Brian Vossen. “That is kind of the type of dude he is. He will keep pounding his head in there over and and over and over again and never stop.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/12/16/lakeville-north-a-focal-point-in-gophers-football-recruiting/

Go Gophers!!

Not a good quote considering the focus on concussions.

Like the article about Boe. Sounds like he could be an excellent OL in the coming years.

By "rank by offers" we are 4th in the Big Ten, just ahead of Maryland who is 5th.

Top 3 ahead of us.

PSU #2
OSU #3
Michigan #12
Minn #21

That's what I always look at, not sure it's any better than the star or score system but it would make sense that a kid who has a bunch of offers from P5 schools must be a good player. Thanks for posting, I always wondered if this matrix existed.

per Greder:

Go Gophers!!

Any chance adding Boe will help pry Benhart away from Becky?

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Elk River kid picked up an Oregon State offer this last week.

Go Gophers!!

This program can't possibly ever have too many guys like this committed to the school. If they somehow establish a pipeline to IMG they will have to put up a monument in his honor. I hope the kid gets to play at some point in his career.

These 3 will make it 4 on the roster. Do we have a HS with more?

Were we interested? I recall a poster mentioning a good bit of talent graduating from Elk River this year.

No offer listed for Minnesota, so I presume a PWO was offered by MN. Wisconsin offering a 2* OL two days before signing day likely means they are trying to fill out their class. Why not go poach from NDSU who is good at recruiting OL?

The two PWO's I would love to land in this class are Antonio Montero and Max Janes. Anyone know if Max has a PWO offer from us? I would hate for these two to end up across the border.

The two PWO's I would love to land in this class are Antonio Montero and Max Janes. Anyone know if Max has a PWO offer from us? I would hate for these two to end up across the border.

Janes doesn't have one which I don't understand. He's gonna end up being a great pwo for either Wisconsin or Michigan

Edit: He does have one from us according to 247

No offer listed for Minnesota, so I presume a PWO was offered by MN. Wisconsin offering a 2* OL two days before signing day likely means they are trying to fill out their class. Why not go poach from NDSU who is good at recruiting OL?

We’ll let Wisconsin take the 2 star, on the bubble D1 guys that go to NDSU. We’ll take the IMG Academy kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

per Greder:

Eric Decker, the Gophers’ all-time leading receiver, was with New York Jets in 2015 when he returned home to give a speech.

At the Central Minnesota Sports Awards in St. Cloud, Decker stressed the importance of savoring high school memories, like the ones he made as a 2005 gradate of Rocori High School in Cold Spring. St. Cloud Tech sophomore receiver Brevyn Spann-Ford was listening in the audience.

Two years later, Spann-Ford has committed to the Gophers’ 2018 recruiting class and plans to sign a letter of intent on Wednesday. With his high school career blossoming, Spann-Ford and Decker are now linked in another way.

Gregg Martig, football coach at St. Cloud Tech the past 23 years, gave the lofty, and possibly too-easy, comparison between Spann-Ford and Decker, who holds many Gophers records, including career receptions (227) and yards (3,119).

“I would say Decker was a little bit more a front-line fast wide receiver, but in terms of overall where were they are at in their senior year, I would say Brevyn is a little bit ahead of where (Decker) was,” Martig said. “I think Decker really advanced at the U.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/12/1...vyn-spann-ford-and-former-u-star-eric-decker/

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom