Official 2018 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

He is only a walk-on for the U right?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I don't quite get it. Didn't Annexstad assume the starting QB role at IMG over Sitkowski? Does someone follow IMG football? Was Sitkowski injured? Is he a Seth Green type of recruit? I don't know the full story.

It will seem odd if Annexstadt is starting over Sitkowski and yet rated much lower. There is a lot to the story that I don't know, just pure speculation at this point.

Sitkowski is rated a 90 by 247SPorts with a composite of 0.9115, Nat'l 317, PRO QB rank 10.
Annexstadt is rated a 86 with a composite of 0.8355, Nat'l 819, PRO QB rank 29.

How often did the Gophers have a walk-on QB rated that high?

I don't quite get it. Didn't Annexstad assume the starting QB role at IMG over Sitkowski? Does someone follow IMG football? Was Sitkowski injured? Is he a Seth Green type of recruit? I don't know the full story.

It will seem odd if Annexstadt is starting over Sitkowski and yet rated much lower. There is a lot to the story that I don't know, just pure speculation at this point.

Sitkowski is rated a 90 by 247SPorts with a composite of 0.9115, Nat'l 317, PRO QB rank 10.
Annexstadt is rated a 86 with a composite of 0.8355, Nat'l 819, PRO QB rank 29.

How often did the Gophers have a walk-on QB rated that high?

6'5" 220?

vs

6'2" 205?

So, the three-inch difference in height between two IMG QBs have resulted in a more favorable rating for the taller one?

Rusell Wilson and Drew Brees must be exceptions at QB nowadays. Here are the heights of the 32 starting QBs in the NFL: https://gooddeedseats.com/all-starting-nfl-quarterback-heights/

I suppose taller QBs must get bonus ratings. It does not mean that Zack Annexstadt, if he becomes a good college QB does not have a shot in the NFL. Aaron Rogers is 6' 2" tall. Zack is going to be an interesting PJ FLeck project. The competition behind Vic Viramontes and Tanner Morgan will only get interesting if PJ Fleck can recruit higher level QBs.

Aren't the O-Line getting bigger and taller in the NFL? I mean Daniel Faalele tall.

You can't teach tall. Either you are or aren't. Although, you can get lucky and get a cerebral QB like a Russell Wilson.

NFL players are getting bigger or taller today than in the days of Fran Tarkenton.

I don't see Tanner Morgan as our future at QB. If Fleck wanted to win bad enough to bring back our walk on senior (see how that worked out), if he wanted to win bad enough to play our sophomore (see how that worked out), and didn't want to win bad enough to play future star Morgan, I don't follow. This redshirt BS so many fans talk about is meaningless. If you are good enough to help win you are on the field. Morgan didn't smell the turf. I'm not saying he doesn't have an elite culture. Must be a great kid.

I don't see Tanner Morgan as our future at QB. If Fleck wanted to win bad enough to bring back our walk on senior (see how that worked out), if he wanted to win bad enough to play our sophomore (see how that worked out), and didn't want to win bad enough to play future star Morgan, I don't follow. This redshirt BS so many fans talk about is meaningless. If you are good enough to help win you are on the field. Morgan didn't smell the turf. I'm not saying he doesn't have an elite culture. Must be a great kid.

Morgan will be #2 QB this year and an injury away from starting.

You seem to be writing off a kid for what he didn’t do in his true freshman season. Sure you meant to hit “post” on this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don't understand the value of a redshirt season, it is absolutely not BS. Fleck said it himself many times and you have to trust him. For example take a look at Blaise Andries this season. I see similar reasons for keeping the redshirt on both of these young men.

Lol this is just ridiculous

Crazy talk. Take a look at Wisconsin's starting roster and how many redshirts they have. There's a reason.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Oh no...

He is only a walk-on for the U right?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Yes but he could very likely be on scholarship his junior and senior years. If he can afford IMG Academy, I'm sure he can afford tuition at the U.

Looks like Zack Annexstad just got a scholarship offer from Pitt.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

The Minnesotan In me is worried that he could be gone and also what would that mean for his team mates. Zack really has been a huge part for the late surge with this class.

The Minnesotan In me is worried that he could be gone and also what would that mean for his team mates. Zack really has been a huge part for the late surge with this class.
He has other scholarship offers, he has repeatedly said he wants to be in Minnesota. I'm guessing he's solid to the U.

Does Montero have a PWO offer from Minnesota?

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

If I'm him I'm taking my offer from NDSU and going with it. Unless my entire dream was to be a Gopher, I'm taking a free education and playing at a high level.

Congratulations to him either way he decides to go.

Maybe it boils down to dollars and cents.

If he dream of wearing the Gopher Maroon and Gold as a kid and his family has the financial wherewithal, then it will be a big gain for the Gophers.

Does it seem like PJ Fleck is also filling up the PWOs with real quality players that can play/start at other colleges?

The Annexstads bleed Maroon and Gold. Don't know the family's history, but there are two boys. Brock and Zach. Brock also went to IMG and he is a freshman WR for the Gophers. There is a lot of talent and determination in that family.

I believe Montero has PWO offers from both Minnesota and Wisconsin. I believe the article in the StarTribune about his being chosen Mr. Football gave that information and also that his mother--who is a Wisconsin grad--was hoping he would go to Madison. Whatever he does, he's a good player and I hope he does well wherever he goes.

When was the last time the gophers got a PWO with a scholarship offer from a decent P5 team?

I know Chad Fhanning had a few offers from MAC schools but don't know if we've ever had a PWO this good.

If I'm him I'm taking my offer from NDSU and going with it. Unless my entire dream was to be a Gopher, I'm taking a free education and playing at a high level.

If his family can't afford sending him to the U and he's not willing to take out some loans then by all means take the NDSU offer. However the NDSU offers are uncommonly full scholarships- usually 3/4 on average (63 scholies divided amongst 85 scholarship players). In addition if 2 young men, one with a BA from NDSU and the other from UM, walk into interviews for the same job outside of ND and are otherwise similar- the UM degree will carry more weight and allow that grad to get his foot in the door more frequently.

I thought you said NDSU? I'm confused.

I would say he definitely deserves a scholarship offer. That said, it seems as if there is an agreement with Coach Fleck to use that scholly on another recruiting prospect to maximize the talent of this class. If so, he will definitely be my favorite player the next four years.

So, the three-inch difference in height between two IMG QBs have resulted in a more favorable rating for the taller one?

Rusell Wilson and Drew Brees must be exceptions at QB nowadays. Here are the heights of the 32 starting QBs in the NFL: https://gooddeedseats.com/all-starting-nfl-quarterback-heights/

I suppose taller QBs must get bonus ratings. It does not mean that Zack Annexstadt, if he becomes a good college QB does not have a shot in the NFL. Aaron Rogers is 6' 2" tall. Zack is going to be an interesting PJ FLeck project. The competition behind Vic Viramontes and Tanner Morgan will only get interesting if PJ Fleck can recruit higher level QBs.

Aren't the O-Line getting bigger and taller in the NFL? I mean Daniel Faalele tall.

You can't teach tall. Either you are or aren't. Although, you can get lucky and get a cerebral QB like a Russell Wilson.

NFL players are getting bigger or taller today than in the days of Fran Tarkenton.

You'd have to ask Miami, Rutgers, etc., about why they like Sitkowski.

But if you look at Sitkowski and Annexstad, one looks like Ivan Drago and the other looks like a high school kid.

Not sure if that had much to do with it.
I want the one who is a better QB. Not the one that looks better with his shirt off.

Top Bottom