Official 2018 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

Checking in at 6-foot-5 and 245 pounds, Waggoner is the state's top 2018 recruit, according to Rivals and the 247Sports Composite. He helped lead Dowling to a state-record fifth consecutive Class 4A title, with his 11 solo tackles for loss and five solo sacks this season.

He had 11 solo tackles all year?

Don't care that it does not move us in the rankings. This kid is the 33rd ranked player in the state of Florida who attends IMG Academy. The more kids we can get from Florida, the better. Start a pipeline the IMG Academy.

Don't care that it does not move us in the rankings. This kid is the 33rd ranked player in the state of Florida who attends IMG Academy. The more kids we can get from Florida, the better. Start a pipeline the IMG Academy.

You can estimate the impact his commitment would have on our 247 class ranking here. It would move us from a 190 to a 198 - not enough to surpass MSU for 5th in the conference, but would move us from 33rd to 29th nationally, all else remaining static (which of course isn't going to happen).

Fleck no longer visiting Waggoner today....John is meeting with Iowa later today and is holding off on all other visits/recruiting trip decisions until then.

You can estimate the impact his commitment would have on our 247 class ranking here. It would move us from a 190 to a 198 - not enough to surpass MSU for 5th in the conference, but would move us from 33rd to 29th nationally, all else remaining static (which of course isn't going to happen).

That's pretty cool. If Dunlap and Craig Williams commit, we'd be 26th Nationally and ahead of MSU.

Fleck no longer visiting Waggoner today....John is meeting with Iowa later today and is holding off on all other visits/recruiting trip decisions until then.

The Fleck affect. Iowa realizing that if they don't take him, he will end of at MN or NE potentially.

Ole Miss has lifted transfer restrictions on their players. It's gonna be a feeding frenzy in Oxford.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

per Randy:

A “palooza,’’ as it has become to be known, is a big, exaggerated, festive event, and Gophers football coach P.J. Fleck and his staff will be throwing one this weekend.

From Friday through Sunday, the Gophers will hold “eLITe18Palooza,’’ with as many as 34 recruits expected to make their official visits to the University of Minnesota campus and the Twin Cities, according to 247Sports. Included in that are 22 of 23 players who have verbally committed to Minnesota. Quarterback Vic Viramontes won’t attend because he already made his official visit on Nov. 26-27 and committed to the Gophers.

The Gophers also will be host to players who haven’t committed, and their top offensive line target will be one of them. Curtis Dunlap, a 6-4, 368-pound guard from IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla., on Tuesday withdrew his commitment from Florida. “I’ve decided to decommit from the University of Florida and open my recruitment back up,’’ Dunlap posted on Twitter. Oklahoma, Miami, Michigan, Florida State and Georgia are among the nearly 40 teams who have offered Dunlap a scholarship.

Dunlap is a four-star recruit and the ninth-best guard in the Class of 2018, as ranked by 247Sports. His teammate at IMG Academy, quarterback Zack Annexstad, has committed to the Gophers as a preferred walk-on. Dunlap verbally committed to Florida in July, but the Gators coach at the time, Jim McElwain, was later fired. Former Mississippi State coach Dan Mullen took over as Gators coach on Nov. 26.

http://www.startribune.com/can-the-gophers-return-to-a-defensive-identity-this-season/462124393/

Go Gophers!!

Wait - If there are more higher rated players who want to commit, does that mean that someone else who is lower rated would be bumped? (E.g., RBs)

I am sure that the entire staff will make it impossible to have another sexcapade recruiting weekend.

per Randy:

A “palooza,’’ as it has become to be known, is a big, exaggerated, festive event, and Gophers football coach P.J. Fleck and his staff will be throwing one this weekend.

From Friday through Sunday, the Gophers will hold “eLITe18Palooza,’’ with as many as 34 recruits expected to make their official visits to the University of Minnesota campus and the Twin Cities, according to 247Sports. Included in that are 22 of 23 players who have verbally committed to Minnesota. Quarterback Vic Viramontes won’t attend because he already made his official visit on Nov. 26-27 and committed to the Gophers.

The Gophers also will be host to players who haven’t committed, and their top offensive line target will be one of them. Curtis Dunlap, a 6-4, 368-pound guard from IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla., on Tuesday withdrew his commitment from Florida. “I’ve decided to decommit from the University of Florida and open my recruitment back up,’’ Dunlap posted on Twitter. Oklahoma, Miami, Michigan, Florida State and Georgia are among the nearly 40 teams who have offered Dunlap a scholarship.

Dunlap is a four-star recruit and the ninth-best guard in the Class of 2018, as ranked by 247Sports. His teammate at IMG Academy, quarterback Zack Annexstad, has committed to the Gophers as a preferred walk-on. Dunlap verbally committed to Florida in July, but the Gators coach at the time, Jim McElwain, was later fired. Former Mississippi State coach Dan Mullen took over as Gators coach on Nov. 26.

http://www.startribune.com/can-the-gophers-return-to-a-defensive-identity-this-season/462124393/

Go Gophers!!

Would be a big slash and major coup for Fleck to land Dunlap. Pretty much puts whoever he's blocking on the ground..then lands on them...ouch.

Wait - If there are more higher rated players who want to commit, does that mean that someone else who is lower rated would be bumped? (E.g., RBs)

I am sure that the entire staff will make it impossible to have another sexcapade recruiting weekend.

I'm thinking armed off duty police officers patrolling the halls and the recruits with ankle monitors strapped on to detect any movement.

Jim Harbaugh evidently has flown to Mississippi to recruit Ole Miss players.

I'm thinking armed off duty police officers patrolling the halls and the recruits with ankle monitors strapped on to detect any movement.

Why off duty police officers, we have a whole group here on GopherHole that will go and patrol. This weekend was meant for us!

TFL

He had 11 solo tackles all year?

11 solo tackles for loss, is an impressive number, and in the top class of competition in Iowa. He looks like he is a pretty dang good football player. Not sure if we will have a shot with both Nebraska and the Hawkeye's recruiting him. Committed to Iowa so Wagoner is off the board anyway.

What, no polar bears on patrol?

Another thought on Dunlap. I was under the impression from some Fleck comments that he's looking for more finesse type OL's...a bit lighter...275-300 lbs...and agile. Perhaps seeing the B1G defensive lines up close and personal has changed that thought a bit?

Rashod Bateman upgraded to a 4 star on 247 after his senior season:
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Another thought on Dunlap. I was under the impression from some Fleck comments that he's looking for more finesse type OL's...a bit lighter...275-300 lbs...and agile. Perhaps seeing the B1G defensive lines up close and personal has changed that thought a bit?

Perhaps he sees a really good football player. Hard to turn those down especially when they can easily lose weight.

He'll go on the Mo Walker diet when he gets here.

Perhaps he sees a really good football player. Hard to turn those down especially when they can easily lose weight.

There's no doubt he's a really good FB player. I guess he could drop 60-80 lbs...would not call that easy though. Just curious if Fleck or O-line coach might have different thoughts having seen the D-lines of the B1G. This is a road-grader type guy that JK/TC would look to recruit.

Rashod Bateman upgraded to a 4 star on 247 after his senior season:

He's now our top rated recruit, and we now have the top ranked recruiting class in the B10 West. Here's hoping Hayes, Dickson and Dunlap join the boat as well.

Wait.... how can Rashod Bateman be upgraded to a 4 star??? i thought recruits only drop ratings after committing to the gophers? :rolleyes:

Wait.... how can Rashod Bateman be upgraded to a 4 star??? i thought recruits only drop ratings after committing to the gophers? :rolleyes:

That was before PJ. Rules have changed. Didn't you hear?

It's almost as if the people who make those claims don't know how rankings work.

Top Bottom