Official 2018 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

I think everyone understands that kids from Perham, DL, insert small MN town outside of MSP here need to go to camps and they're much more likely to fly under the radar if they don't do so because almost no D1 coaches will see them

If I'm not mistaken, the debate to me is over is the coach essentially (my words not his) saying Aune was overlooked because of the school he plays at despite it being a public school in a big city less than 20 mins from campus.

I think it's more of a matter of Aune playing in a crappy conference rather than a difficult location. Every coach has a set amount of resources and I don't think it's completely illogical to argue that it is somewhat less likely to be noticed in a conference with a Big 10 football player every 10 years than it would be if he went to Eden Prairie, Cretin, or Edina.

Matt Simon tweeted about a new commit. Im assuming a MN kid from big man camp.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Seems like a weight room project - whoever it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't imagine how many Minnesota commits Fleck would have if he actually valued keeping Minnesota kids home.

I think it's more of a matter of Aune playing in a crappy conference rather than a difficult location. Every coach has a set amount of resources and I don't think it's completely illogical to argue that it is somewhat less likely to be noticed in a conference with a Big 10 football player every 10 years than it would be if he went to Eden Prairie, Cretin, or Edina.

Agreed. Aune camped, so people knew about him, but my guess the only time scouts from P5 conferences saw him is when Highland Park played Cretin-Derham Hall.

Agreed. Aune camped, so people knew about him, but my guess the only time scouts from P5 conferences saw him is when Highland Park played Cretin-Derham Hall.

And that's the biggest thing, which I said a page or two ago.

College coaches don't travel to every single HS in every single state, or watch film of every school either. They have to rely a lot on camps to find these prospects. I would think it's easier for a kid in the suburbs to get to these camps than it is for kids from Perham, Detroit Lakes, or Marshall to get to them. Not saying it's impossible, but kids in the metro that likely have more disposable income can more easily attend camps than guys who either live outstate or are in the Minneapolis/St. Paul public school systems.

And that's the biggest thing, which I said a page or two ago.

College coaches don't travel to every single HS in every single state, or watch film of every school either. They have to rely a lot on camps to find these prospects. I would think it's easier for a kid in the suburbs to get to these camps than it is for kids from Perham, Detroit Lakes, or Marshall to get to them. Not saying it's impossible, but kids in the metro that likely have more disposable income can more easily attend camps than guys who either live outstate or are in the Minneapolis/St. Paul public school systems.

+1000.

It will be nice to see the Gophers hold football camps outside the of the Twin Cities area. Maybe in alternate years go to different parts of the State. Allow rural kids without the financial means to go to the U football camps a chance to be noticed and to dream and be motivated about becoming a Gopher.

This may be something that can be coordinated with regional rural MN HS coaches who know the landscape of rural players with potential. Is this something that may be worth discussing in the annual HS coaches clinic sponsored by the Gophers?

I really feel that the biggest lifeline to the Gophers Football programs for instate recruiting are the cultivated relationships with HS coaches.

per Joe:

This was said to be a down year for Minnesota’s high school football talent, but Gophers coach P.J. Fleck has plucked five in-state recruits while building a class that continues to rank in the top 20 nationally.

Lakeville North offensive lineman Nathan Boe gave the Gophers a verbal commitment Saturday, becoming Fleck’s latest in-state addition.

The others are Eden Prairie cornerback Benny Sapp, Perham defensive tackle Logan Richter, St. Paul Highland Park athlete Josh Aune and St. Cloud Tech tight end Brevyn Spann-Ford.

With 17 commitments overall, the Gophers entered Monday ranked 18th nationally in the latest 247Sports composite, which combines the various recruiting services into one ranking.

Fleck has yet to land a consensus four-star recruit, however, so the Gophers are expected to drop as traditional powers ranked behind them — USC, Auburn, Florida, etc. — begin filling up their classes before national signing day, Feb. 7.

http://www.startribune.com/p-j-fleck-continues-to-sign-more-minnesotans-than-expected/429492153/

Go Gophers!!

Just saw that Eric Aboji became academically qualified! Great news!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Just saw that Eric Aboji became academically qualified! Great news!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Just speculating - but Fleck did say on the Sports Huddle Sunday that he was waiting to see if "1 or 2" kids qualified academically before he decides whether to use his remaining 2017 scholarships or shelve them until 2018. Could Aboji be one of those players?

We'll see how much pull PJ has with the admissions dept.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Naw...no worries. Mark Coyle has stated many times his job is just to serve his coaches, make their job easier, get them what they need. So, I'm sure MC will handle getting Eric enrolled for PJ. :rolleyes:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Looks like we're hosting a couple guys on unofficial visits this weekend

Mayan Ahanotu, DE/DT; low three-star, but tons of P5 offers, including Oklahoma, Cal, Michigan State, Virginia Tech.

Bryce Williams, RB; mid/low three-star, P5 offers include Purdue and Iowa State.

Chardon’s Chase Kline picks up three Big Ten offers, will commit by season’s start

Chase Kline will know where he is going to play college football before his senior season begins.

That’s what the highly coveted Chardon linebacker told The News-Herald on June 21 after gaining a trio of offers from Big Ten schools in recent days.

Kline, a 6-foot-3, 225-pound outside linebacker, picked up offers from Michigan State, Minnesota and Purdue within the past week, pushing his total of offers to 14 at summer’s arrival.

There are still others, namely Ohio State and Michigan, that have shown interest, and could offer the standout Hilltopper. But whether or not they do, Kline said he plans on having his decision made before the start of the season.

Whether that means prior to Aug. 1 or prior to Chardon’s season opener on Friday, Aug. 25 against West Geauga Kline doesn’t know.

“I’m looking to make my decision before the start of my senior season,” Kline said. “That’s a great question, if it’s Aug. 1 or before our first game, but I’m planning on doing it before that.”

After receiving an offer from Purdue last week, Kline attended a weekend camp on June 17 in East Lansing, Michigan, and received an offer from Coach Mark Dantonio’s Michigan State Spartans.

Then on June 19 following a Minnesota satellite camp in Canton, Kline picked up an offer from Coach P.J. Fleck’s Minnesota Golden Gophers.

The three straight Big Ten offers go along with 11 others he already had — Boston College, Iowa State, Syracuse, Harvard, Yale, Buffalo, Ohio University, Toledo, Dartmouth, Princeton and Penn.

“I got three offers from the Big Ten,” Kline said. “It was definitely a good week.”

Kline then wowed Fleck and his staff at a satellite camp in Canton, hosted by Walsh University. After the camp, he talked at length with Fleck, who offered him a scholarship.

“I had a good talk with him,” Kline said. “Coach Fleck is so charismatic and energetic. I’m definitely interested in them. I’ll be going up for a visit sometime.”

With the Minnesota satellite camp, Kline is shutting down his summer camping tour. More offers are likely to come in, but he said his focus now is his senior year of football with his Chardon teammates.

http://www.news-herald.com/sports/2...e-big-ten-offers-will-commit-by-seasons-start

Go Gophers!!

top ten out of state kids signed/committed to Kill and Fleck

1. Connor Mayes
2. Jamel Harbison
3. Thomas Rush
4. Elijah Teague
5. Kendarian Handy-Holly
6. Brennan Armstrong
7. Terrell Smith
8. Melvin Holland
9. Berkley Edwards
10. Jornell Manns

6-4 Fleck, and he's been here for half a year.

Top Bottom