Official 2018 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

Two kids in the last couple of weeks de-commit. We really do need an early signing period.

An early signing period wouldn't make a difference with these guys. They are juniors in high school. No one should get excited about commitments and decommitments of kids at this age. They are so far away from knowing what they really want in college, and to expect kids this young not to look around at various schools as they figure out where they want to live, what type of setting they want to live in, big school vs small school, etc, is ridiculous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kill used to ask kids to go back home and make sure before committing. PJF doesn't and likely is very good at convincing them this is the place for them at the moment. He is one hell of a speaker and salesman. Not surprising that a number of kids already have reconsidered afterwards. It is a byproduct of his approach. That is not to say his approach is any better or worse - just different. The end result is all that matters. All the nonsense between now and then (such as Team Rankings in May) means little.

Two kids in the last couple of weeks de-commit. We really do need an early signing period.

Wouldn't have changed these type of decommits - no coach is requesting a signing period this early.

Kill used to ask kids to go back home and make sure before committing. PJF doesn't and likely is very good at convincing them this is the place for them at the moment. He is one hell of a speaker and salesman. Not surprising that a number of kids already have reconsidered afterwards. It is a byproduct of his approach. That is not to say his approach is any better or worse - just different. The end result is all that matters. All the nonsense between now and then (such as Team Rankings in May) means little.

This exactly. We are probably going to have a lot more decommitments under Fleck than we did under Kill.

Do we ever get any decommits from other Power5 schools? I can't think of any. But then my mind is also on holiday.

Do we ever get any decommits from other Power5 schools? I can't think of any. But then my mind is also on holiday.

Yes; off the top of my head - Andre McDonald, Michael Carter, and De'Vondre Campbell. I'm certain there have been others.

This exactly. We are probably going to have a lot more decommitments under Fleck than we did under Kill.

True. However it is not a concern for me. I believe Fleck will get a class as strong or stronger than it would have been with these decommits. I am still a bit of a Flecktic (because he reminds me a bit of Brewster), but if you can't find a way to believe in a guy that had a 13-0 regular season last year in the MAC, you probably can't believe in anyone.

I agree. I think Fleck may be hard to say no to in person and that's why you get the commits on or shortly after visits, and decommits when they slow down to think about it. However I mentioned a similar thought on a different thread and got ridiculed by some fleckophile.

I agree. I think Fleck may be hard to say no to in person and that's why you get the commits on or shortly after visits, and decommits when they slow down to think about it. However I mentioned a similar thought on a different thread and got ridiculed by some fleckophile.

That's what they do. :rolleyes:

It does make sense. When a coach jumps into your arms and gives you a big bear hug upon hearing you have committed, can only imagine the salesmanship that goes on prior to that. That is not a knock on PJF or any kid who commits, then decommits. Just saying it has to be really hard for impressionable 17 and 18 year old kids to think through a commit decision, when getting filled with all the positives on a recruiting visit.

I wonder if kids in general don't take a "commitment" as seriously as they used to. I just get a sense that kids know that a verbal commitment isn't binding, so they give some school a commitment, but in the back of their minds, they know they can back out if they get a better offer, or if they just change their minds. It's a way to hedge their bets, so they always have a fall-back position just in case their dream school doesn't give them an offer.

Maybe someone with more time or computer savvy could compile a list of de-commits (if that's possible).

I wonder if kids in general don't take a "commitment" as seriously as they used to. I just get a sense that kids know that a verbal commitment isn't binding, so they give some school a commitment, but in the back of their minds, they know they can back out if they get a better offer, or if they just change their minds. It's a way to hedge their bets, so they always have a fall-back position just in case their dream school doesn't give them an offer.

Maybe someone with more time or computer savvy could compile a list of de-commits (if that's possible).

The only commitments are on signing day.

Looks like a couple in state offers went out after the first camp shockingly.

Watching channel 45 sports. Do any of these local broadcasters have a clue how college sports work. They talked about it he two Mn. Kids that just committed then stated Minnesota was up to 145 verbal commitments for 2018. Really.

Watching channel 45 sports. Do any of these local broadcasters have a clue how college sports work. They talked about it he two Mn. Kids that just committed then stated Minnesota was up to 145 verbal commitments for 2018. Really.

This over-signing trend has gotten out of hand.

Going need to change the name to The Athletes Town

I sure hope that was sarcasm.

The number is 14. It's very possible someone mistyped it into the teleprompter, and it was simply read as-is on air because nobody caught the mistake. Wouldn't be the first time that has happened in TV history.

The number is 14. It's very possible someone mistyped it into the teleprompter, and it was simply read as-is on air because nobody caught the mistake. Wouldn't be the first time that has happened in TV history.

Don't make excuses for them.

Either that or we landed 141 silent verbals from these camps? Our team ranking is going to be awesome!

Really? That makes way too much sense but I prefer to believe it is true!:rolleyes:

Current 2018 Recruiting Rankings

Was curious so took a look (thru Google). Could have made a mistake in counting to get the Big Ten numbers but here they are as of now.

247 Sports: Minnesota 6 in Big Ten, 18 nationally

ESPN: 6 and 21

Rivals: 6 and 19

Scout: 6 and 20

Saw Logan Richter at the Perham Road Trip event. Nothing to report of his actual skills, but will note he was a very nice and polite young man. Was going out of his way to open doors for people and very happy to meet Gopher fans. Just nice to have kids with solid character joining the team.

Saw Logan Richter at the Perham Road Trip event. Nothing to report of his actual skills, but will note he was a very nice and polite young man. Was going out of his way to open doors for people and very happy to meet Gopher fans. Just nice to have kids with solid character joining the team.

Did PJ challenge him to a wrestling match?

Top Bottom