Official 2018 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

Just noticed this: Warriner's son doesn't currently have an offer listed on sites. I guess I just kinda assumed he'd get one sooner rather than later.

Okay we get it. You guys don't like us offering kids in the top 250 because you're not sure they'll visit. I'll go glass half full and say if you don't offer those kids and start a relationship, you'll never get them on campus. So what we're doing is the only reasonable thing to do. And while you want to pour vinegar in everyone's water about not getting excited, that's for each of us to decide. I could care less whether you want to hold back your enthusiasm. I choose to be intrigued by the much higher number of top level recruits at least sending one tweet this year with the name of our school in it. I'm intrigued to see who the staff can get on campus.

That's rich coming from you Spar! The guy who was giving up on the bball team after the first big 10 game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Meh. I think it's pretty meaningless (in and of itself).

It could also work the other way. . . "these guys are offering everyone".

I don't really think it has much impact, but I could be wrong. This year's recruiting will be interesting.

Some of the helmet schools will begin to joke about their recruit having a MN offer, just as fans here joked about our recruits having a WMU offer. It doesn't really raise the profile.

That said, you can't get him if you don't ask. We will see what happens. However, just as those all excited about PJ are frustrated people are not excited about simple offers, don't denigrate the way Kill/Claeys recruited. Simply a different approach, and they brought in a lot of talented kids that fit their system. As a Gopher fan, I hope PJ is wildly successful, and I appreciate the work of the previous staff as well.

Meh. I think it's pretty meaningless (in and of itself).

It could also work the other way. . . "these guys are offering everyone".

I don't really think it has much impact, but I could be wrong. This year's recruiting will be interesting.
I work in marketing. So I can tell you, that perception of a brand is as important to said brand, as it's reality. The kids can see, same as us, that Fleck is bringing a recruiting game unseen in Minnesota for a while. We're already seeing a second to none effort & voracity in his recruitment. And the winds are changing... I see it, as do many of us. The recruits will see it too. You never get the gold, if you are shooting for the bronze.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Some of the helmet schools will begin to joke about their recruit having a MN offer, just as fans here joked about our recruits having a WMU offer. It doesn't really raise the profile.

That said, you can't get him if you don't ask. We will see what happens. However, just as those all excited about PJ are frustrated people are not excited about simple offers, don't denigrate the way Kill/Claeys recruited. Simply a different approach, and they brought in a lot of talented kids that fit their system. As a Gopher fan, I hope PJ is wildly successful, and I appreciate the work of the previous staff as well.

We may have joked about it, but it worked. They significantly improved their recruiting relative to their conference.

Slow news day when the main GH talker is whether Fleck should use a similar recruiting strategy as the more successful B1G programs.

This new way of recruiting with a wide net is really uncomfortable and it could expose us nationally as trying and failing. Oh, the embarrassment if someone realizes we are offering at a lot of top athletes and not getting them.

This change is really hard and uncomfortable. Can't we just go back to how Claeys and Kill did it where we'd just go get the guys and "coach em up"? Ughhh... I hate change!!

Slow news day when the main GH talker is whether Fleck should use a similar recruiting strategy as the more successful B1G programs.

The just be like the great teams stuff is and endless talking point... everywhere.

I work in marketing. So I can tell you, that perception of a brand is as important to said brand, as it's reality. The kids can see, same as us, that Fleck is bringing a recruiting game unseen in Minnesota for a while. We're already seeing a second to none effort & voracity in his recruitment. And the winds are changing... I see it, as do many of us. The recruits will see it too. You never get the gold, if you are shooting for the bronze.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I think your theory works if we start picking up a handful of surprising commits... not sure our offers alone do much. But get a handful of guys higher profile commits, then yeah folks might think different.

I'm a recruiting Newb. Do they offer without even talking to the kids? Or is it after they talk with the kid, if they don't get a hard "no" right away, the offer.

I guess what I'm wondering is for the kids we offered, has it already been determined that the kid hasn't already ruled us out?
Has some sort of conversation happened where the kids said "I won't be deciding for a while, but I might be interested in learning more" vs "Thanks for calling, but I'm pretty sure you're not in my top 20 choices" vs "Hey, look, I got an offer, but I don't know anything about these guys. Never spoke to any of them"

From a recruiting aspect I guess it probably doesn't hurt to see the Golden M every time there's a scarlet and silver O and a maize and blue M.

If you want to improve yourself, hang out with people who are better than you.

This change is really hard and uncomfortable. Can't we just go back to how Claeys and Kill did it where we'd just go get the guys and "coach em up"? Ughhh... I hate change!!

Psssst... none of these guys have committed yet.

I recall a line from a movie, the name of which I can’t recall, but the issue was whether one should apply for a job that one didn’t think they had a chance of getting. I also don’t recall the line exactly (I’m old, okay), but it was to the effect that, “if you apply, the chances of getting the job increase considerably.” I don’t see the downside of offering 4 and 5 star recruits. Arguably we are a program on the rise, Minneapolis is a great city, Minnesota is academically strong, and we have invested in and are investing in our revenue sports at a level that we have not for half a decade. So, what’s the downside.

I recall a line from a movie, the name of which I can’t recall, but the issue was whether one should apply for a job that one didn’t think they had a chance of getting. I also don’t recall the line exactly (I’m old, okay), but it was to the effect that, “if you apply, the chances of getting the job increase considerably.” I don’t see the downside of offering 4 and 5 star recruits. Arguably we are a program on the rise, Minneapolis is a great city, Minnesota is academically strong, and we have invested in and are investing in our revenue sports at a level that we have not for half a decade. So, what’s the downside.

It's like asking a girl out.
You can ask out the 9's and 10's or you can disqualify them in your head and settle for a 5 or 6 and try to coach them up.

I have no problem with the offers.

But I don't think the odds increase with such a wide net, at all.

With a job maybe nobody good applied? Or maybe the guy hiring has no clue. That is a very real possibility. With the top players.... no way the other teams missed them.

Take a look at this list, none of these guys just went with some random lower level school because they threw him an offer... it takes a LONG time until you see those other schools:

http://247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/RecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=highschool

I've zero problem with sending out the offers, but the wide net doesn't increase your chances. If we bring in some highly ranked players, it is because PJ & Co are good recruiters, not because of any odds increase due to casting a wide net.

The offers are just fine. It is 37 and others that act like it is some accomplishment to offer highly ranked kids that is so ridiculous.

The offers are just fine. It is 37 and others that act like it is some accomplishment to offer highly ranked kids that is so ridiculous.

I didn't say it was an accomplishment. I think it's an attempt.
It's better to try and have a failure than never try.

Not sure if I am included in your observation, but just in case I'll clarify. While I am excited that we seem to be offering more highly rated kids, I also agree with another one of your posts that states it doesn't mean much unless a few start committing.

Not sure if I am included in your observation, but just in case I'll clarify. While I am excited that we seem to be offering more highly rated kids, I also agree with another one of your posts that states it doesn't mean much unless a few start committing.

I guess I'm curious if the Gophers are offering to kids who the Gophers have talked with who are interested, or if the Gophers are just offering to kids hoping they'll talk to us.

If you took the under on the O/U of 12 offers yesterday, you'd be correct. There were 10.

Bunch of wet blankets on this forum. We are seeing a change in how the program recruits. It's too soon to know the effectiveness, but we can at least see this is a change.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Bunch of wet blankets on this forum. We are seeing a change in how the program recruits. It's too soon to know the effectiveness, but we can at least see this is a change.

Agree. None of us know how this is going to turn out, but I don't think Fleck is just offering guys willy-nilly. He gets some highly-ranked guys visiting and that probably says something to other guys who have gotten an offer. Granted, the product on the field is far more important than recruiting rankings, but the two can go hand-in-hand.

Agree. None of us know how this is going to turn out, but I don't think Fleck is just offering guys willy-nilly. He gets some highly-ranked guys visiting and that probably says something to other guys who have gotten an offer. Granted, the product on the field is far more important than recruiting rankings, but the two can go hand-in-hand.
Right. Head coaches are responsible for on the field results and recruiting. One usually has something to do with the other.

Oh and it looks like Benny Sapp III committed. The in-state kid with offers from Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State, Michigan, etc.

I'm not sure we've landed a lot of these type of recruits in the past.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

2018 recruiting thread prediction. This thread will surpass the 204 pages the 2017 thread currently has before this season even starts. And that's with way less scholarships to offer. The buzz with the visits and commitments will surpass almost everyone's expectations.

Top Bottom