Official 2018 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

per Biggins: Talented JUCO QB Victor Viramontes Setting Visits

Victor Viramontes has found a home at Riverside C.C and the former Cal quarterback is showing the dual-threat capability that made him such a hot commodity out of Norco (Calif.).

Riverside is 8-0, ranked No. 2 in the nation and Viramontes is having a big year. The quarterback has thrown for 1,116 yards and 16 touchdowns and rushed for another 999 yards and 13 more scores.

He's a big, physical kid who was recruited to play linebacker for Michigan out of H.S and was often compared to former Florida Gator QB Tim Tebow in terms of his frame and style of play.

On the recruiting front, Viramontes has one official visit lined up and picked up his first Big 10 offer earlier in the week.

"I have a visit set up with Kansas for (Dec. 9)," Viramontes said. "The head coach (David Beaty) came out to see me this week and talk with my parents so I'm excited to get out there and see the school close up.

"I don't have any other trip dates set yet but I plan to visit Minnesota and New Mexico. Coach (PJ) Fleck is recruiting me from Minnesota and it's cool having the head coach involved. I have a lot of interest in their program and have heard good things so I think once my playoff schedule comes out, I'll get those other dates set."

Viramontes will have three years to play three after he transfers and will be able to enroll in time for Spring ball as well.

https://247sports.com/Article/Talen...it-Kansas-Minnesota-and-New-Mexico--109813851

Go Gophers!!

Victor Viramontes has found a home at Riverside C.C and the former Cal quarterback is showing the dual-threat capability that made him such a hot commodity out of Norco (Calif.).

Riverside is 8-0, ranked No. 2 in the nation and Viramontes is having a big year. The quarterback has thrown for 1,116 yards and 16 touchdowns and rushed for another 999 yards and 13 more scores.

He's a big, physical kid who was recruited to play linebacker for Michigan out of H.S and was often compared to former Florida Gator QB Tim Tebow in terms of his frame and style of play.

On the recruiting front, Viramontes has one official visit lined up and picked up his first Big 10 offer earlier in the week.

"I have a visit set up with Kansas for (Dec. 9)," Viramontes said. "The head coach (David Beaty) came out to see me this week and talk with my parents so I'm excited to get out there and see the school close up.

"I don't have any other trip dates set yet but I plan to visit Minnesota and New Mexico. Coach (PJ) Fleck is recruiting me from Minnesota and it's cool having the head coach involved. I have a lot of interest in their program and have heard good things so I think once my playoff schedule comes out, I'll get those other dates set."

Viramontes will have three years to play three after he transfers and will be able to enroll in time for Spring ball as well.

https://247sports.com/Article/Talen...it-Kansas-Minnesota-and-New-Mexico--109813851

Go Gophers!!

I'm ready for a JUCO QB

Big, tough runner - former Michigan LB Commit...this kid sounds like a home run

It sounds like "Being P.J. Fleck" impressed Gopher Commit Alex Reigelsperger's family. His younger brother in particular enough to notch Alex to come for a visit. He had connections with PJF from when he was at WMU recruiting him, and he re-recruited him to MN.

It tells me folks around the country are watching and paying attention.

Hats off to PJ Fleck. He is one persistent recruiter/pitchman!

Boy, PJ doesn't sit around for long when it comes to recruiting a QB. Brennan Armstrong becomes a soft commit, and he is already recruiting a guns blazing JC QB from Cali!

In a lot of ways Viramontes is already a seasoned college QB (at JC level) with three years to play. I like his size and style better than Armstrong's. I'll take either one of them any day.

Looking at the 2018 recruiting class - if they stay intact I feel they may be something special. I am still worried about the O-Line and DBs.

Reminder that the early signing period is only about weeks away.

Go Gophers!!

Who needs Armstrong? This guy could be the QB of the future.

Go Gophers!!

Kansas (a program with a HC that's about to be fired), New Mexico (basically a no-passing, always run offense), and Minnesota (new coach, new facilities, desperate need for a QB). Seems like a pretty easy decision between those three.

Kansas (a program with a HC that's about to be fired), New Mexico (basically a no-passing, always run offense), and Minnesota (new coach, new facilities, desperate need for a QB). Seems like a pretty easy decision between those three.

Agree, but I'll be curious what other offers come his way before signing day.

Go Gophers!!

Viramontes in Norco CA is only 37 miles from Bachmeier in Murietta CA.

Maybe we get a double CA treat and get both Viramontes & Bachmeier.

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

I couldn't find much on him other than he's a juco and was originally a 2-star (5.4) that committed to UL-Lafayette.

I couldn't find much on him other than he's a juco and was originally a 2-star (5.4) that committed to UL-Lafayette.

Late bloomers can develop quickly. He could be a good get.

All highlight clips look pretty good, but you have to get a bit excited about Viramontes. He could be the solution for us at QB to get this dog gone boat moving. All we needed this year was a QB that could hand off the ball, run a little, and make the short passes. We have not played that one, if we even have him. You know, stuff a freshman can easily do if they are good enough for a scholarship.

All highlight clips look pretty good, but you have to get a bit excited about Viramontes. He could be the solution for us at QB to get this dog gone boat moving. All we needed this year was a QB that could hand off the ball, run a little, and make the short passes. We have not played that one, if we even have him. You know, stuff a freshman can easily do if they are good enough for a scholarship.
I like the thought but we have to get a commitment first, other schools are pursuing as well. Also, short passes haven't been called much so not sure it matters. We need the Oline to develop.

JC QBs are a gamble as we all know from recent experience. If the option is for Viramontes in case we lost Armstrong, it is worth the chance.

The Gophers ended up with Neil McLauron over Jordan Ta'mu. According to 247Sports, McLaurin was recruited by both Jay Johnson and Kirk Ciarrocca.

McLaurin disappeared from the Gophers and never played a down.
Ta'amu is a Junior backup QB for Ole Miss who played four games. He backs up Shea Patterson who is a five star player from IMG Academy.

What happened there? Would have Ta'amu been in the starting QB conversation if he had become a Gopher?

Does anybody know the full story we ended up with McLaurin instead of Ta'amu?

https://247sports.com/player/jordan-taamu-46035515

https://247sports.com/Player/Neil-McLaurin-46037453

JC QBs are a gamble as we all know from recent experience. If the option is for Viramontes in case we lost Armstrong, it is worth the chance.

The Gophers ended up with Neil McLauron over Jordan Ta'mu. According to 247Sports, McLaurin was recruited by both Jay Johnson and Kirk Ciarrocca.

McLaurin disappeared from the Gophers early in the season and never played a down.
Ta'amu is a Junior backup QB for Ole Miss who played four games. He backs up Shea Patterson who is a five star player from IMG Academy.

What happened there? Would have Ta'amu been in the starting QB conversation if he had become a Gopher?

Does anybody know the full story with McLaurin and Ta'amu?

https://247sports.com/player/jordan-taamu-46035515

https://247sports.com/Player/Neil-McLaurin-46037453

I'm sure someone has the scoop on the Ta'amu vs McLaurin situation. Talk about a miss though.

To your point on Ciarroca/Fleck recruiting him. I don't think that happened. According to 247, McLaurin signed his LOI December 14th and Fleck wasn't hired until January 6th.

Back on topic - hopefully we can get Viramontes!

I don't think the 2-star includes his HOW measurement.

I'm sure someone has the scoop on the Ta'amu vs McLaurin situation. Talk about a miss though.

To your point on Ciarroca/Fleck recruiting him. I don't think that happened. According to 247, McLaurin signed his LOI December 14th and Fleck wasn't hired until January 6th.

Back on topic - hopefully we can get Viramontes!

Probably recruiting him to WMU.

Probably recruiting him to WMU.

WMU and Ciarroca had nothing to do with McLaurin. They already had Tanner Morgan committed.

McLaurin was an early JUCO signee by the previous staff. For whatever reason, I believe that staff preferred McLaurin over Ta’amu.

Fleck never had any interest in keeping McLaurin. In the end, it all worked out for Fleck. No McLaurin and regain a scholly.

WMU and Ciarroca had nothing to do with McLaurin. They already had Tanner Morgan committed.

McLaurin was an early JUCO signee by the previous staff. For whatever reason, I believe that staff preferred McLaurin over Ta’amu.

Fleck never had any interest in keeping McLaurin. If I remember correctly, McLaurin was shown the door once it was learned that he wasn’t going to class. In the end, it all worked out for Fleck. No McLaurin and regain a scholly.

Article when it happened in April.

http://therunnersports.com/minnesota-gophers-lose-quarterback-neil-mclaurin-to-transfer/

Top Bottom