Official 2018 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

Do you think it's possible that Fleck still prefers to bypass the JC route, but has had to alter his preference due to circumstances? The late John Maynard Keynes replied to a fellow economist when challenged that he was flip-flipping: "When my information changes, I alter my conclusions. What do you do, sir?"

He has to improvise. He has holes in experience upperclassmen OLs. Transfers and retirements necessitate That we go to a rescue plan.

Yep.

<iframe src='//www.hudl.com/embed/video/3/4335054/59b4bff6d21ae303e0be6152' width='640' height='360' frameborder='0' allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm no recruiting genius, but this guy's tape is incredible. If there is any way we could get him I say do it. In a heartbeat.

Do you think it's possible that Fleck still prefers to bypass the JC route, but has had to alter his preference due to circumstances? The late John Maynard Keynes replied to a fellow economist when challenged that he was flip-flopping: "When my information changes, I alter my conclusions. What do you do, sir?"

Agreed. I really like that PJ is altering his position on this topic. Very obvious this year that to compete in 2018 we needed JuCo QB and OL help and PJ is doing what he must.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree ��

Class average ratings per 247...

2012: .8185
2013: .8253
2014: .8310
2015: .8314
2016: .8391
2017: .8324
2018: .8453

Wisconsin over same period
2012: .8543
2013: .8464
2014: .8478
2015: .8550
2016: .8496
2017: .8551
2018: .8582

Close the talent gap, get bigger, faster, stronger.
Get a consistent scheme, way we play football. Ground and pound/WCO, etc.

2015 was good for Wisconsin but rough for us. And we've shed so many players from that class.

Agreed. I really like that PJ is altering his position on this topic. Very obvious this year that to compete in 2018 we needed JuCo QB and OL help and PJ is doing what he must.

I am encouraged that PJ is willing to admit he was wrong and change his stance based on circumstances. He speaks in a lot of absolutes so it isn't always hard to tell how willing he is to be flexible on certain things.

I am encouraged that PJ is willing to admit he was wrong and change his stance based on circumstances. He speaks in a lot of absolutes so it isn't always hard to tell how willing he is to be flexible on certain things.

His whole quote on Jucos was blown way out of proportion imo. He said he prefers high school players and would prefer not to have to go to the Juco ranks. Basically every coach in America not at K-State feels the same way.

His whole quote on Jucos was blown way out of proportion imo. He said he prefers high school players and would prefer not to have to go to the Juco ranks. Basically every coach in America not at K-State feels the same way.

Something PJ Fleck said was blown way out of proportion by his naysayers? I don't believe it......

Yes, but put it in the context that a lot of what he says comes off as an absolute. In any case, glad to see he's willing to bend a little.

There may have been conversations with the AD (speculating) that it's kind of important to be competitive and Mpls will lose patience sooner than later if we don't take stop-gap measures.

For the love of God, he never said he wouldn’t take JC’s. He said ‘maybe 1 or 2, maybe.’

I'm no recruiting genius, but this guy's tape is incredible. If there is any way we could get him I say do it. In a heartbeat.

I believe that on Gopherhole, we'd refer to him as "nasty"....

I respectfully disagree. I was at the signing social and he made a point about it when talking about Royal Silver in the context that he was a JuCo and that's not how he does things. With that said, he is doing the right thing going after JuCos at QB and OL now and I also agree with his Long Term strategy of not going after JuCos.

I respectfully disagree. I was at the signing social and he made a point about it when talking about Royal Silver in the context that he was a JuCo and that's not how he does things. With that said, he is doing the right thing going after JuCos at QB and OL now and I also agree with his Long Term strategy of not going after JuCos.

What I find ironic is everyone on here ripping Claeys for going after JUCO's to fill holes, PJ does it and now it is ok, even after he said he didn't want to recruit them and would rather have HS players.

Yes, but put it in the context that a lot of what he says comes off as an absolute. In any case, glad to see he's willing to bend a little.

He already "bent" last year by taking Silver and Davis.

What I find ironic is everyone on here ripping Claeys for going after JUCO's to fill holes, PJ does it and now it is ok, even after he said he didn't want to recruit them and would rather have HS players.

Dude why do you make everything about Claeys? He's gone it's time to move on.

Who is everyone? Most people agreed it was needed.

If I am not mistaken, Kill > Claeys and Fleck indicated at one point or another that LONG TERM, filling holes in the lineup or depth chart with JUCO transfers is not where they want to be.

But when depth at certain positions is a thin as it has been, there is not much choice, whether or not it goes against the staffs long term M.O. or any of ours. You do what you NEED to do.

Can we make a thread that just has links, tweets, the story's regarding recruiting updates rather than peoples personal opinions on the strategies of past and current coaches. You guys drag your bull**** into every goddamn thread, it's almost as bad if not worse than the off topic forum and stupid political debates.

There was a tweet out there regarding Florida recruiting, usually, that coincides with a commitment no?

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Can we make a thread that just has links, tweets, the story's regarding recruiting updates rather than peoples personal opinions on the strategies of past and current coaches. You guys drag your bull**** into every goddamn thread, it's almost as bad if not worse than the off topic forum and stupid political debates.

There was a tweet out there regarding Florida recruiting, usually, that coincides with a commitment no?

<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I think we offered three high end IMG guys from Florida.

Daniel Faalele - 6'8" 400 lbs OT (was leaning towards Tennessee)
Curtis Dunlap - 4 star OG (Florida commit) - visiting here in a couple weeks
Josh Walker - DT

Maybe one of those?

We'll take all three if they will fit in the boat. Make sure there are life preservers big enough for Polynesian dudes.

Maybe Zack Annexstad can do some nudging. Maybe the SchiaNO gambit will delay getting a new HC at Tennessee, and Faalele will gladly volunteer his services to the Golden Gophers.

Josh Walker decommitted from Arizona in September. Prior to that, last May it was announced that he landed at Rutgers. Does he have scholastic eligibility issues? He will be a nice get to make up for losing Noah Shannon to Iowa.

We'll take all three if they will fit in the boat. Make sure there are life preservers big enough for Polynesian dudes.

Maybe Zack Annexstad can do some nudging. Maybe the SchiaNO gambit will delay getting a new HC at Tennessee, and Faalele will gladly volunteer his services to the Golden Gophers.

Josh Walker decommitted from Arizona in September. Prior to that, last May it was announced that he landed at Rutgers. Does he have scholastic eligibility issues? He will be a nice get to make up for losing Noah Shannon to Iowa.

Hilarious!

The coaching fiasco at Tennessee could (and likely will) help us with this group.

No, it coincides with recruiting activity, not necessarily a commitment.

I would offer more, but someone told me that opinions aren't allowed in this thread.

No, it coincides with recruiting activity, not necessarily a commitment.

I would offer more, but someone told me that opinions aren't allowed in this thread.

If you're insinuating my rant was saying recruiting opinions aren't valid in this thread that's not quite what I meant. This thread has, like most others, turned into snarky remarks about whether or not PJ says he does/doesnt want to recruit jucos, which the board has 2 other threads debating that. We also were tip toeing precariously close to going down the rabit hole of recruiting rankings again. I just wish this thread would be populated around opinions on the recuits, much less the coach.

I realize my opinion of what this thread should be about is about as usless as the paper this post is printed on.

I think we offered three high end IMG guys from Florida.

Daniel Faalele - 6'8" 400 lbs OT (was leaning towards Tennessee)
Curtis Dunlap - 4 star OG (Florida commit) - visiting here in a couple weeks
Josh Walker - DT

Maybe one of those?

400lbs? wow that is one big dude.

Hilarious!

The coaching fiasco at Tennessee could (and likely will) help us with this group.

Don't laugh! I went ice fishing with three other friends at Lake Of The Woods the year after that Van with trax broke through the ice and went under drowning everyone. The solution was to require every trax vehicle to have a rooftop escape hatch the row after the driver.

We had one problem. There were three guys from Iowa that weight closer to 400 pounds. Quick thinking Larry wanted us in the rows behind the driver. The three ginormous guys had no choice but to sit closer towards the back door. We all had the same thought: These big dudes would not fit through the escape hatch!

Go Gophers!!

Recruiting Rankings and JuCos. Thoughts?

Top Bottom