Official 2018 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

And to Spoofing: this is a team that plays for Minnesota, not necessarily a team of Minnesotans. Everyone says they want to compete at the highest level and now some are complaining that we don't take enough Minnesota kids.

I get that. As I have said, I don't think we should offer every MN kid, never said we should take kids who don't want to come here (not even sure where Josh came up with that one) - and for the record I don't think we should offer MN kids who don't play football, smoke meth, or give PJF a pile-driver every time they see him either.

I do feel, however, that we should make an effort for local kids we don't for others. If the kid is good enough to play in the B1G, we should offer him. I do think that is important here and it is what I would like to see - but I understand those that don't think location should matter at all, I just don't agree. The coaches know way more than me (again, never said any different) and if there is some reason they don't want a local kid I will just have to accept that - but it doesn't mean I can't be disappointed in their decision to pass or question commitment statements that were made if a bunch of other P5 schools think they are good enough. I don't expect everyone to agree with that. Read my posts in this thread - I don't believe anything I have stated is unhinged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need to step back and realize that you are making assumptions on only the information that you think you know.
And to Spoofing: this is a team that plays for Minnesota, not necessarily a team of Minnesotans. Everyone says they want to compete at the highest level and now some are complaining that we don't take enough Minnesota kids.
Obviously, the coaches value every scholarship and they may feel they need more information, maybe try a players at other positions, before they offer. Alabama and Ohio State are not made up of only players from their state. Both of those schools pass on very good home grown players because they feel they got a better prospect from out of state.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Here's what we all know:
The Gophers have offered more players than ever this recruiting season. Not one of them has attended a camp here as of yet.
Everyone is excited because most of the players offered have multiple P5 offers.
There are two players with multiple P5 offers, that reside here in MN, who have not been offered. They need to attend Gopher Camp for evaluation and then maybe they will get offered. Both kids look like good players, so I believe they will be nice pick ups.
A third player from MN, who has no offers at all, gets an offer and accepts it. The kid looks like a player, so it's a good pick up.

Take the oars off for just one moment and tell me that this doesn't seem a little odd.

in the future they will be extending offerers earlier to some of the under the radar in-state guys.

These aren't under the radar guys; both have multiple Power 5 offers.

Claeys and Kill often didn't even have a commitment until about June.

Once in 5 combined full recruiting classes. Twenty percent is "often"? Ok.

I get that. As I have said, I don't think we should offer every MN kid, never said we should take kids who don't want to come here (not even sure where Josh came up with that one) - and for the record I don't think we should offer MN kids who don't play football, smoke meth, or give PJF a pile-driver every time they see him either.

Agreed.

There's always a bunch of low effort "wat about this local kid!?!?!" from the local media, but being local is only a small part of the picture with a recruit.

We obviously all have zero idea what's going on, so here's my hot take to add to the fire pit:

Fleck is evidently unsure about these two kids, and wants to see them in camp before extending an offer. Now - I know PJF has been shown not to by shy about giving out offers, but I think one has to be more careful with in-state players (especially in year 1 of a regime). In my estimation, it is probably much easier to throw out offers to kids in other states and massage the legitimacy of those offers as you proceed down the road to signing day. As someone else mentioned, it would be awful PR to offer these MN kids, have them commit, only to have to force them out if someone better comes along (again, especially in year 1 before you have any track record to draw from).

Maybe the non-MN schools that have offered these players are upset at the amount of early offers from PJF to players in their states and want to put on some pressure and force PJF to play some defense (probably not the case, but a situation like that doesn't seem beneath the cesspool of recruiting).

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Here's what we all know:
The Gophers have offered more players than ever this recruiting season. Not one of them has attended a camp here as of yet.
Everyone is excited because most of the players offered have multiple P5 offers.
There are two players with multiple P5 offers, that reside here in MN, who have not been offered. They need to attend Gopher Camp for evaluation and then maybe they will get offered. Both kids look like good players, so I believe they will be nice pick ups.
A third player from MN, who has no offers at all, gets an offer and accepts it. The kid looks like a player, so it's a good pick up.

Take the oars off for just one moment and tell me that this doesn't seem a little odd.

If we didn't have 13 commits and weren't ranked in the top 20 for recruiting classes this would probably bother me as well...

We obviously all have zero idea what's going on, so here's my hot take to add to the fire pit:

Fleck is evidently unsure about these two kids, and wants to see them in camp before extending an offer. Now - I know PJF has been shown not to by shy about giving out offers, but I think one has to be more careful with in-state players (especially in year 1 of a regime). In my estimation, it is probably much easier to throw out offers to kids in other states and massage the legitimacy of those offers as you proceed down the road to signing day. As someone else mentioned, it would be awful PR to offer these MN kids, have them commit, only to have to force them out if someone better comes along (again, especially in year 1 before you have any track record to draw from).

Maybe the non-MN schools that have offered these players are upset at the amount of early offers from PJF to players in their states and want to put on some pressure and force PJF to play some defense (probably not the case, but a situation like that doesn't seem beneath the cesspool of recruiting).

Legit points.
So, my question is, why offer a kid who has no offers and at the time wasn't rated. Wouldn't that type of player be exactly a reason to want to evaluate him at camp. Yes he has the measurables of a DT. Does he have the foot speed, quickness and strength to handle playing against BIG caliber OL, because he more than likely didn't get that type of competition playing Perhams schedule. I'm not knocking him, the schedule or MN football. But he is playing at a AAA MN School, which isn't the largest class.

One of the major arguments for offering these kids is that "they've got offers from other P5 Schools."

Well, in the immortal words of your mother, "If all the other kids jumped off a bridge, I suppose you'd want to jump off a bridge, too."

In other words, if other teams are offering the MN kids, then MN should offer them too.

I disagree. Each school has its own evaluation methods, and (more importantly) its own needs. Owning to schemes, systems, and personal preference, it's entirely possible that School A may rate a MN kid higher than School B, and as a result, School A may extend and offer, while School B decides not to offer.

I want the U of MN getting the best players available who A. fit their system, and B. want to attend the U of MN.

If that means that certain MN players don't get offers, so be it.

I certainly do not want to see the Gopher coaches feeling that they have to have some quota system for MN players - and have to extend X# of offers to MN kids just to keep MN fans happy.

Go Gophers!!

247 Profile

<iframe class="twofourseven-embed" style="max-width: 100%" frameborder="0" width="600" height="200" src="http://247sports.com/PlayerSport/Craig-Williams-at-Crosby-101388/Embed"></iframe><script async src="https://assets.247sports.com/Scripts/Shared/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Legit points.
So, my question is, why offer a kid who has no offers and at the time wasn't rated. Wouldn't that type of player be exactly a reason to want to evaluate him at camp. Yes he has the measurables of a DT. Does he have the foot speed, quickness and strength to handle playing against BIG caliber OL, because he more than likely didn't get that type of competition playing Perhams schedule. I'm not knocking him, the schedule or MN football. But he is playing at a AAA MN School, which isn't the largest class.

Well - they saw him at Junior Day (is that not pretty much a 'camp?' - serious question...no snark) and evidently were so enthralled with his ability/potential they wanted to offer. Not so much for the other two (not sure if they were there or not). I wouldn't look too hard into him 'not being rated.' I would seriously be terrified if our coaching staff paid a lot of attention to the rating services of entry level journalists (this is not the insult that it seems to be - they do a good job but are basically assigning ratings based on the interest from well known programs. They are not unearthing amazing, under-the-radar talent - they are reporting). That's Brewster-level recruiting.

Well - they saw him at Junior Day (is that not pretty much a 'camp?' - serious question...no snark) and evidently were so enthralled with his ability/potential they wanted to offer. Not so much for the other two (not sure if they were there or not). I wouldn't look too hard into him 'not being rated.' I would seriously be terrified if our coaching staff paid a lot of attention to the rating services of entry level journalists (this is not the insult that it seems to be - they do a good job but are basically assigning ratings based on the interest from well known programs. They are not unearthing amazing, under-the-radar talent - they are reporting). That's Brewster-level recruiting.

They don't assign ratings based on interest from well-known programs. They evaluate film, measurables, camp and combine performances, etc. and assign ratings accordingly. You don't have to agree with their rankings, but you're misinformed about how they arrive at them.

Go Gophers!!

I was under the assumption that Junior Day was a time to bring them in and show them around campus in a group setting with other junior football prospects. No practice type stuff went on. But you know what they say about assuming, so I could be wrong.

I was under the assumption that Junior Day was a time to bring them in and show them around campus in a group setting with other junior football prospects. No practice type stuff went on. But you know what they say about assuming, so I could be wrong.

Well, out of curiosity, I looked it up and it appears you are more right than me in what goes on during a 'junior day.'

They don't assign ratings based on interest from well-known programs. They evaluate film, measurables, camp and combine performances, etc. and assign ratings accordingly. You don't have to agree with their rankings, but you're misinformed about how they arrive at them.

Yeah - I suppose I concede that point to you. I still stand by my larger point, though, that I wouldn't be too concerned about our coach offering an unrated player and that it would be a dangerous practice for a coaching staff to offer players based on Scout/Rivals/247. Admittedly I did engage in a little hyperbole and was unfairly harsh on the recruiting journalists - they do a great a job.

I still stand by my larger point, though, that I wouldn't be too concerned about our coach offering an unrated player and that it would be a dangerous practice for a coaching staff to offer players based on Scout/Rivals/247.

Agreed; ultimately, the most important thing is the overall evaluation by the coaching staff (can he play, does he fit in terms of personality, does he fill a need, etc.) and how likely someone is to sign and contribute here.

We shouldn't offer every in state kid who is capable of playing in the B1G. You need kids who can excel in the B1G. Personally I think these 2 kids could be players, but I'm not on the "offer every MN kid who has another P5 offer" boat.

Go Gophers!!

I personally think Spann-Ford is the best player in the state and he would be by far my favorite prospect if he were to commit. I think he could be an absolutely phenomenal pass catcher as an H back for us and be a matchup nightmare in the red zone for us. IMO, at least on tape, he looks like a superior pass catcher compared to what Paulsen, Umler, Bursch, Kieft, Witham, Gibson, Lingen, Wonzniak, Anyanwu showed on tape. None of those guys showed the athleticism and fluidity to highpoint the ball in the end-zone as well as the leaping ability of Spann-Ford. If he is also 6-7, 233 as a HS junior then he should have plenty of size to at least be an adequate blocker. I think thats what the staff is waiting to see at camp as thats something he hasn't had the opportunity to show yet on film as he only has played WR. Personally think he's can't miss prospect. He has Big Ten size and athleticism plus had the production last year (977 yards, 12 TD's ableit against lesser competitoin) to know that he isn't a project.

With Alston I guess I wouldn't mind seeing a little more production and put the weight back on that he lost during the basketball season. As I've said before, he did get all the way down to 205 at the end of the basketball season and the staff wants to see him get back to his original size of around 225. I like him, not quite as much as Spann-Ford though.

I personally think Spann-Ford is the best player in the state and he would be by far my favorite prospect if he were to commit. I think he could be an absolutely phenomenal pass catcher as an H back for us and be a matchup nightmare in the red zone for us. IMO, at least on tape, he looks like a superior pass catcher compared to what Paulsen, Umler, Bursch, Kieft, Witham, Gibson, Lingen, Wonzniak, Anyanwu showed on tape. None of those guys showed the athleticism and fluidity to highpoint the ball in the end-zone as well as the leaping ability of Spann-Ford. If he is also 6-7, 233 as a HS junior then he should have plenty of size to at least be an adequate blocker. I think thats what the staff is waiting to see at camp as thats something he hasn't had the opportunity to show yet on film as he only has played WR. Personally think he's can't miss prospect. He has Big Ten size and athleticism plus had the production last year (977 yards, 12 TD's ableit against lesser competitoin) to know that he isn't a project.

With Alston I guess I wouldn't mind seeing a little more production and put the weight back on that he lost during the basketball season. As I've said before, he did get all the way down to 205 at the end of the basketball season and the staff wants to see him get back to his original size of around 225. I like him, not quite as much as Spann-Ford though.

Better than Quinn Carroll, or do you just mean 2018 recruit?

Better than Quinn Carroll, or do you just mean 2018 recruit?

On that note, Carroll just picked up an offer from Notre Dame. Would be very impressed with Fleck if he could sign up Carroll to be a Gopher!

Two other players to watch that picked up FBS offers the past day are Elk River OL Ronald Audette (6'3 300) with offers from Northern Illinois and New Mexico. Audette has started at OL since Freshman season. Lakeville North OL Nathan Boe (6'4 260) picked up an offer from Northern Illinois as well. Boe has started at OL since sophomore year. Not saying they are deserving of an offer from Minnesota, but our state generally has a history of producing solid lineman and they guys would be ranked 2 and 3 after Jacob Smith from Rosemount, who has committed to BYU.

At the end of the day, if Minnesota decides to offer Alston and Spann-Ford and they decide to commit.......great! If they commit elsewhere because of the relationships built during the recruiting process, then that would be understandable as well. If they are never offered, then it is a moot point and if they have a great career at Wisconsin/Nebraska or Missouri/West Virigina, people can say we missed out on them.

Oddly enough NDSU just posted about their 7 players in the NFL, five were from Minnesota - Billy Turner from Mounds View, Ramon Humber from Champlin Park, Marcus Williams from Hopkins, Joe Haeg from Brainerd, and CJ Smith from Burnsville. Players that Minnesota passed on during the recruiting process, but probably more due to the fact they were not highly recruited at all and individuals that developed during college!

Oddly enough NDSU just posted about their 7 players in the NFL, five were from Minnesota - Billy Turner from Mounds View, Ramon Humber from Champlin Park, Marcus Williams from Hopkins, Joe Haeg from Brainerd, and CJ Smith from Burnsville. Players that Minnesota passed on during the recruiting process, but probably more due to the fact they were not highly recruited at all and individuals that developed during college!

Can add another in Chase Roullier from Burnsville, who played at Wyoming

per Greder:

MORE MINNESOTANS?

Two Minnesota high school players — Eden Prairie cornerback Benjamin Sapp III and Perham defensive tackle Logan Richter — have committed to be in the Gophers’ 2018 recruiting class, and the number of offers to other in-state athletes could increase in the next couple of weeks.

“We’ve got a camp coming up, which will help with that,” Fleck said. “It’s an evaluation of a big area … not just the best players, but the best people.”

http://www.twincities.com/2017/05/2...t-holders-increasing-since-p-j-flecks-hiring/

Go Gophers!!

I think it's just a speed issue for Spann-Ford. His 40-time is listed as 5.0 and even though his catch radius is huge, the staff probably need to make sure they can actually release him downfield regularly. Hope he's improved in this regard.

I think it's just a speed issue for Spann-Ford. His 40-time is listed as 5.0 and even though his catch radius is huge, the staff probably need to make sure they can actually release him downfield regularly. Hope he's improved in this regard.

That 40 time is not good for a receiver. I watched his highlight tape and he looked pretty quick. He reminded me of Jake Wieneke at SDSU by way of Maple Grove. Difference being Jake runs in the 4.6 range. Unless he makes some drastic improvement with his speed, TE is where he will end up. He would be a great weapon to have in the red zone with his pass catching ability.

To clarify, Spann-Ford 40 time was electronic at 5.04 at The Opening in Chicago. Handheld he would be a 4.8 for all those needing to clarify 40 times. He also had a 4.5 agility, which is pretty solid for 6'7 230 player. His overall score ranked 50th out of 350 by invite players.

In another twist of recruiting, Minnetonka Sr TE Powers Warren (6'4 225) decided to finish out his senior year down at IMG Academy versus staying in Minnesota. He just picked up an SEC Offer from Mississippi State and committed. Warren had a very solid senior year with 32 receptions for 485 yards and 2 TDs, but only picked up an offer from Bemidji State. Not sure how he did down in Florida spring ball, but obviously well enough to pick up an SEC offer and provide more evidence of the recruiting challenges of the state.

https://www.seccountry.com/mississippi-state/mississippi-state-commit-powers-warren

Trey Lance committed to NDSU. I pretty much expected it once Fleck said they were only taking one QB in 2018.

Top Bottom