Official 2018 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

per Johnson:

As the old football saying goes, “It’s not about the X’s and O’s, it’s about the Jimmies and Joes.’’

And if recent developments are any indication, Gophers coach P.J. Fleck is going full bore on getting those Jimmies and Joes lined up for his program.

Last weekend, Fleck received verbal commitments from four high school players and landed two transfers from Southeastern Conference and national powers Alabama and Florida.

‘’That’s a huge, huge weekend,’’ Fleck said.

The Gophers have 23 commitments for their recruiting Class of 2018, and that has garnered them the No. 29 national ranking by 247Sports.

For Fleck, getting that many commitments – only Navy (30) and South Florida (26) have more – is important because of the competition the Gophers face in the Big Ten, let alone nationally. Minnesota is seventh among Big Ten teams in the 247Sports rankings, trailing Ohio State (No. 1), Penn State (No. 4), Michigan (No. 15), Maryland (No. 17), Nebraska (No. 26) and Wisconsin (No. 27).

“We’ve got the second most commitments in the country,’’ Fleck said during Monday’s media day, before South Florida inched ahead of Minnesota in numbers. “Now, I understand this is not a race. … I get that, it’s not a race, but what it does show you is the amount of people around the country who want to become Golden Gophers. We don’t have to force people to ever commit. They want to do it.’’

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-coach-p-j-fleck-hits-recruiting-at-full-speed/438369253/

Go Gophers!!

Ninety six plays in a single practice per Carter Coughlin? Something's cooking alright. I like his comment that the practices are more intense than actual games.

Wow. The last time I heard that type of practice intensity was with Herb Brooks' Olympic gold medal winning hockey team!

Ninety six plays in a single practice per Carter Coughlin? Something's cooking alright. I like his comment that the practices are more intense than actual games.

Wow. The last time I heard that type of practice intensity was with Herb Brooks' Olympic gold medal winning hockey team!

This is always something that is said.
It was said when we went Mase to Brew; Brew to Kill/Claeys; and now to PJ.

That said, I went to practices during the Mase, Brew and Kill years - - I didn't notice a difference in intensity. I will say, the Brew years seemed a bit more disorganized.

From people I know who went to practice, it is noticeably different this year.

We have five commits from Georgia. Prior to Kill, I don't remember more than one or two coming out of that state.

And as for everyone hitting the South hard, it never seemed to be on Mason's or Brewster's radar to this extent. That's not a shot at either of them, just an observation on my part. Both those guys hit Florida and Texas for recruits, but they rarely went to Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee,and the Carolinas (which is generally considered the Deep South). Kill changed that and Fleck seems to be continuing that pattern.

Seems like splitting a pretty fine hair to me.

per TamaBay.com:

PJ Fleck is another coach with Buccaneers roots making inroads in the area. The Gophers landed Wiregrass Ranch/IMG defensive back Shamaur McDowell and Berkeley Prep defensive lineman Mayan Ahanotu. Both turned down offers from other big-time programs.

Fleck, a former receivers coach with the Buccaneers under Greg Schiano, has put more of an emphasis on the state. The Gophers currently have just four players from Florida on the roster and none from the bay area.

McDowell and Ahanotu are among the three Florida commits Minnesota has so far in the 2018 class.

"The people, opportunities, academics and football are the big reasons I decided on Minnesota," Ahanotu said. "I think it's great to have all the commits that we have right now. All of the people that have committed I know are great people and leaders that will help Minnesota get to that next level."

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/foot...y-all-locked-in-on-tampa-bay-recruits/2332500

Go Gophers!!

per TamaBay.com:

PJ Fleck is another coach with Buccaneers roots making inroads in the area. The Gophers landed Wiregrass Ranch/IMG defensive back Shamaur McDowell and Berkeley Prep defensive lineman Mayan Ahanotu. Both turned down offers from other big-time programs.

Fleck, a former receivers coach with the Buccaneers under Greg Schiano, has put more of an emphasis on the state. The Gophers currently have just four players from Florida on the roster and none from the bay area.

McDowell and Ahanotu are among the three Florida commits Minnesota has so far in the 2018 class.

"The people, opportunities, academics and football are the big reasons I decided on Minnesota," Ahanotu said. "I think it's great to have all the commits that we have right now. All of the people that have committed I know are great people and leaders that will help Minnesota get to that next level."

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/foot...y-all-locked-in-on-tampa-bay-recruits/2332500

Go Gophers!!

Compared to what/who?

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Sarasota Athlete of the Week: Bryce Williams

Bryce Williams, 18, is a senior running back at Cardinal Mooney High. He is verbally committed to the University of Minnesota.

How long have you been playing football?

Since I was 6 years old. My granddad (Walter Gilbert) encouraged me to play.

What is the appeal of football to you?

It's the next step to starting a new life, I guess. You can get an education out of it. It builds character.

What is your best skill as a running back?

My vision, plus I can make defenders miss after contact.

What is your favorite football memory?

Last year's spring game against Lemon Bay. I was coming back from an injury, I had pins put in my finger and had missed the whole previous season. I ran for 255 yards and two touchdowns. It was a great game.

Why verbally commit to the University of Minnesota?

The school has a great atmosphere. I loved the coaching staff, they are all really genuine. You can tell Coach (P.J.) Fleck, he really cares and wants me to be successful. He's very energetic.

What is your favorite food?

Tacos. I put sour cream, steak, lettuce, black olives. I like it all, really.

What is your dream vacation spot?

Hawaii. It just looks beautiful.

What hobbies do you have?

I like fishing. I don't have a favorite spot really, I move around to different places.

What is your favorite TV show?

I like The Walking Dead a lot.

Finish this sentence: "Bryce Williams is ... "

... going to be successful. Nothing else is acceptable. I've always had that mentality.

http://www.yourobserver.com/article/bryce-williams-cardinal-mooney-football

Go Gophers!!

Sarasota Athlete of the Week: Bryce Williams

Bryce Williams, 18, is a senior running back at Cardinal Mooney High. He is verbally committed to the University of Minnesota.

What hobbies do you have?

I like fishing. I don't have a favorite spot really, I move around to different places.

http://www.yourobserver.com/article/bryce-williams-cardinal-mooney-football

Go Gophers!!

A perfect opening for a Minnesota coach. "Kid, if you like fishing, let me show you your new favorite spot!"

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Kentucky commit:

Go Gophers!!

Kentucky commit:

Go Gophers!!

<iframe class="twofourseven-embed" style="max-width: 100%" frameborder="0" width="600" height="200" src="http://247sports.com/PlayerSport/Alex-Reigelsperger-at-Wayne-179522/Embed"></iframe><script async src="https://assets.247sports.com/Scripts/SkyNet/Shared/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>.

Reigelsperger would be our highest-rated composite recruit (by a comfortable margin) if he ended up flipping here.

He would be a nice addition for us and believe he would fit in well. Row the boat!!

What happened with Charles Robinson? He just committed to Northern Illinois tonight.

He had grade issues.

Anyone else getting sick and tired of losing a recruit because of grade issues. Something has to change in the admissions area. How can he qualify at Northern Ill. and not here? In talking to fans and supporters from other BG Ten universities, the University of Michigan is the only school not to have admission problems.

Anyone else getting sick and tired of losing a recruit because of grade issues. Something has to change in the admissions area. How can he qualify at Northern Ill. and not here? In talking to fans and supporters from other BG Ten universities, the University of Michigan is the only school not to have admission problems.

Guarantee that Michigan's standards are plenty high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ummm, no. It's the B1G. It's why Anderson left the Badgers, they seem to be doing just fine.

It might costa few recruits, but the admission standards need to remain high.

Top Bottom