Official 2018 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

Just looked at their signing classes from '13 - '15. They didn't sign a single JUCO in that time. So, it appears PJ is changing his thinking and going after JUCO's so he doesn't have a repeat of this year.

Appreciate the research!

I'm guessing there is a pretty big downside to having a lot of JUCOs. Do I have this right??
-- You can sign 25 recruits each year.
-- If you sign a JUCO, that recruit can only play 2 years (maybe 3).
-- So, if you sign a lot of JUCOs, you'd start having issues keeping 85 schollys.

I don't think you'd have an issue keeping 85 schollies, it just means you'll be signing players on a quicker cycle. You still get your 85 schollies.

I wanna do better than ok each year.

Snyder is 207-109-1 as a head coach (third most wins of any active head coach). His record at K State is 121-83-1. He's won various national coach of the year awards. The stadium he plays is named after him.

Frankly, he puts any coach we've ever had to shame.

I'll take his power-5 results, over an unproven philosophy.

Snyder is 207-109-1 as a head coach (third most wins of any active head coach). His record at K State is 121-83-1. He's won various national coach of the year awards. The stadium he plays is named after him.

Ever. I don't think so. Since Murray got canned, probably.

Yeah recruiting and developing 4 or 5 year players is totally an unproven philosophy. :rolleyes:

I'm guessing there is a pretty big downside to having a lot of JUCOs. Do I have this right??
-- You can sign 25 recruits each year.
-- If you sign a JUCO, that recruit can only play 2 years (maybe 3).
-- So, if you sign a lot of JUCOs, you'd start having issues keeping 85 schollys.

Not if you recruit JUCOs every year.

I don't think you'd have an issue keeping 85 schollies, it just means you'll be signing players on a quicker cycle. You still get your 85 schollies.

The big BUT though is you can't sign players on a quicker cycle, you only get a max of 25 each year. Here's the worst-case scenario, where you only sign JUCOs and each JUCO only has 2 years of eligibility:

- Year 1: You have 25 JUCOs each with 2-years of eligibility plus what you have from previous three years of recruiting
- Year 2: You have 25 "2-year" JUCOs and 25 JUCOs with only 1-year of eligibility left, plus two years of previous recruiting
- Year 3: You again have 25 "2-year" JUCOs and 25 "1-year" JUCOs plus one year carryover from previous recruiting
- Year 4: All you have is 25 "2-year" JUCOs and 25 "1-year" JUCOs, for a total of 50.

Yes, there's red-shirt years and some JUCOs have 3 years eligibility, I get that, but if you're really limited to only 25 players per year then it looks like bringing on a JUCO has a downside in terms of getting 85 scholarship players.

Doogers mentioned on Twitter that Fleck flew out to California this week to visit a QB. I hope they can flip Brevin White.

Really?

Of all the stupid **** I've ever read on this board, this might be the pinnacle.

Almost as stupid as the idea that JUCOs are detrimental to a college football program. Or, saying Bill Snyder's track record isn't good enough at a program as historically inept as ours since desegregation.

You are familiar with Bill Snyder, right? That may not be a safe assumption.

Ok, maybe not ever. That can be argued. But, as if that's the dumbest thing ever, or that it's not debatable is freaking asinine.

You're flexing your intellect with the stars indicating a curse word, as opposed to explaining why one of the most revered coaches out there wouldn't cut it for you here. High brow stuff from you, as usual.

Yeah recruiting and developing 4 or 5 year players is totally an unproven philosophy. :rolleyes:

I would say the idea that JUCOs make you a lower quality program in terms of success is an unproven philosophy. Many teams are successful with JUCO players. A lot of that could have to do with the inability to compete for high-end high school recruits to fill the roster (like us). Is taking a 2-star high school kid, if that's all you can get, always a better option than a JUCO, because he'll be sitting on the sideline for 5 years?

Sure, it's one thing for Alabama and Ohio State. It's another for our program.

Some JUCOs are eligible for three years. Some of the great high school recruits can go pro after 3 years. JUCOs can be redshirted.

It comes down to having good football players on your team. Good football players can be procured from sources other than high schools.

:rolls eyes: at thinking that's what I was saying.

Ever. I don't think so. Since Murray got canned, probably.

Granted based on a natty championship.

However, Snyder has a higher winning percentage, twice as many wins, and more conference titles while coaching in the modern era, which is pretty darn impressive in its own right.

Perhaps we should check with Bill Snyder at K. State as they lead the nation in JUCO football players signed. They seem to do ok each year.

Pretty sure you are trolling but just in case why would Snyder come to Minnesota. He is 78 years old and coaching at a college where they have already named the stadium after him. He will coach 1-2 more years at most and then retire.

Besides we have PJ Fleck and Its only year zero. Give him a chance.

The big BUT though is you can't sign players on a quicker cycle, you only get a max of 25 each year. Here's the worst-case scenario, where you only sign JUCOs and each JUCO only has 2 years of eligibility:

- Year 1: You have 25 JUCOs each with 2-years of eligibility plus what you have from previous three years of recruiting
- Year 2: You have 25 "2-year" JUCOs and 25 JUCOs with only 1-year of eligibility left, plus two years of previous recruiting
- Year 3: You again have 25 "2-year" JUCOs and 25 "1-year" JUCOs plus one year carryover from previous recruiting
- Year 4: All you have is 25 "2-year" JUCOs and 25 "1-year" JUCOs, for a total of 50.

Yes, there's red-shirt years and some JUCOs have 3 years eligibility, I get that, but if you're really limited to only 25 players per year then it looks like bringing on a JUCO has a downside in terms of getting 85 scholarship players.

Yeah, but no one signs ONLY jucos.

Pretty sure you are trolling but just in case why would Snyder come to Minnesota. He is 78 years old and coaching at a college where they have already named the stadium after him. He will coach 1-2 more years at most and then retire.

Besides we have PJ Fleck and Its only year zero. Give him a chance.

No one is suggesting that Snyder come here.

In a perfect world, all 22 starters every year would be RS Srs. Of course, that is unrealistic - and probably not a formula for long-term success, due to the issues of breaking in all new starters every year.

So, in reality, you would like to have a mix of starters. maybe up to half as RS Srs, 7 or 8 RS Jrs, and 3 or 4 RS Sophs. True FR or RS FR would only play if they were so outstanding that they were clearly better than the older players at their position.

But again - not a perfect world. Players get injured; they may transfer; and some recruits just don't pan out and wind up as special-teams players or scout-team fodder. In that situation, you might have to go out and sign a couple of JUCO's to fill a gap in a particular class. JUCO's are a part of the college FB landscape. Never say never. You need to keep all options open and be prepared to use all the tools in the toolbox. more cliches. more cliches.

Fleck, like pretty much every coach in America not named Bill Snyder, prefers high school recruits. Stop the presses...

He added a JUCO last year, along with 2 transfers. He's looking to potentially add a few JUCOs this class due to specific needs. I'm not really sure what is newsworthy about this...

Fleck, like pretty much every coach in America not named Bill Snyder, prefers high school recruits. Stop the presses...

He added a JUCO last year, along with 2 transfers. He's looking to potentially add a few JUCOs this class due to specific needs. I'm not really sure what is newsworthy about this...

Yep and academically, is it fair to say that true high school enrollees might be better students then jucos?

Yep and academically, is it fair to say that true high school enrollees might be better students then jucos?

Not always, those that are 3 year eligible JUCO players usually go JUCO to get better offers. Briean Boddy-Calhoun is an example where grades likely weren't the issue.

Is it true that with Jucos as long as you meet the GPA requirements at the time of transfer, you don't need to deal with the minimum ACT score requirement? After spending time in Juco and you have a good year statistically, are you deemed as a proven commodity like the QB Viramontes will likely be?

Top Bottom