Official 2018 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

Admission standards are fine where they are. Just because you are a student athlete doesn't mean you should get a pass on the standards that every student going to the university has to adhere to.

Does anyone know how many 2018 scholarships the Gophers have left? Are there any extras from people graduating/transferring?

We have not heard any noise from the recruiting end. Nabbing a 4-Star recruit or two would be awesome.

Does anyone know how many 2018 scholarships the Gophers have left? Are there any extras from people graduating/transferring?

We have not heard any noise from the recruiting end. Nabbing a 4-Star recruit or two would be awesome.
Think right now we are like 4-6 over the amount of scholarships we currently have open. Sounds like the staff is operating like we will see some transfers and would still add another couple recruits. Doesn't sound like there will be many official visits during the season as Fleck likes to do them after the season where the staff has more time to just focus on the recruits. You will staff have 2018 commits taking unofficials to come watch games but I would think the staff will focus on 2019 a little more this fall with the 2018 class being pretty close to full.

Anyone else getting sick and tired of losing a recruit because of grade issues. Something has to change in the admissions area. How can he qualify at Northern Ill. and not here? In talking to fans and supporters from other BG Ten universities, the University of Michigan is the only school not to have admission problems.

We don't know that thats necessarily the case. It could be an issue of him not yet meeting NCAA qualifying standards and a lesser program like NIU is more willing to take the risk of potentially losing a scholarship to gain P5 level prospect than we are. Doesn't necessarily mean he can get into NIU but not the U.

We don't know that thats necessarily the case. It could be an issue of him not yet meeting NCAA qualifying standards and a lesser program like NIU is more willing to take the risk of potentially losing a scholarship to gain P5 level prospect than we are. Doesn't necessarily mean he can get into NIU but not the U.

I can guarantee the admission standards at the U (and Illinois for that matter) are higher than NIU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can guarantee the admission standards at the U (and Illinois for that matter) are higher than NIU.

What are they? I've been asking for quite awhile now how the standards differ from the NCAA GPA and ACT sliding scale and haven't received an answer. There is a difference between the statistical profile of the student body and the minimum a school will accept. I'd wager there are some marginal students accepted because of being a first time college student, background, life experience etc.

Yes...Nm

I began writing a response, but realized that it would be similar to yelling at a brick wall.

While it is true that Andersen stated "It's been well [documented] there were some kids I couldn't get in school," the Badgers' former coach said. "That was highly frustrating to me. I lost some guys, and I told them I wasn't going to lose them.
"I think they did what they were supposed to do [academically] and they still couldn't get in. That was really hard to deal with." Link

Some myopic people (or wisconsin fans) think that means that the skool to east has academic requirements that are too stringent. There are no B10 Universities that are easy for acceptance. For Andersen to state that he believes that is the some barrier that all the other fine B10 Universities don't face is laughable.

That fact of the matter is that he could not get kids into wisconsin that would have been accepted at Utah, and he believes he was dealt a bad hand. Again, laughable.

Yes...Nm

I began writing a response, but realized that it would be similar to yelling at a brick wall.

While it is true that Andersen stated "It's been well [documented] there were some kids I couldn't get in school," the Badgers' former coach said. "That was highly frustrating to me. I lost some guys, and I told them I wasn't going to lose them.
"I think they did what they were supposed to do [academically] and they still couldn't get in. That was really hard to deal with." Link

Some myopic people (or wisconsin fans) think that means that the skool to east has academic requirements that are too stringent. There are no B10 Universities that are easy for acceptance. For Andersen to state that he believes that is the some barrier that all the other fine B10 Universities don't face is laughable.

That fact of the matter is that he could not get kids into wisconsin that would have been accepted at Utah, and he believes he was dealt a bad hand. Again, laughable.

So - he left the Big10 because of admission standards (pretty much the same as saying he left wisconsin because of admission standards).

Yes...Nm

So we shoehorned Jeff Jones into our school after he finally met the NCAA minimum requirements, but somehow we tell ourselves that we have higher standards than other schools? For PWO yes, we hold them to normal entrance standards which are high. For scholarship athletes? No. NCAA minimums are good enough.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

No worries. He will use this failure to grow.

Due to a violation of team rules during the offseason, Shelby will sit four of their starters — including Armstrong and Brooks — for their games against Madison, Lexington and Willard.

Go Gophers!!

Not elite.

Could just be something minor.......
Minor incident should not result in 3 game suspension. Date on article is Aug.16, so 3 games means they are out a month. Folks i know from the area say it may be something big

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Minor incident should not result in 3 game suspension. Date on article is Aug.16, so 3 games means they are out a month. Folks i know from the area say it may be something big

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Drinking...

Drinking...

Apparently so. Found a local message board which stated as such. In fact, the suspension has been known since late June.

Could have been worse for him and the other suspended players. His HS alcohol policy is full year suspension for first offense, but is cut to 30% if they go to counseling. Pretty stiff penalty and likely deterrent. Best of luck to him and the other players to learn from the mistake.

With rules violations, always two possibilities. Each state has its own rules and guidelines, and individual schools can - if they want - adopt rules that are stronger than the state rules. So, to assess the situation, you would have to know the nature of the violation, what the state recommendation is for that type of violation, and then what the school's rules call for.

In Minnesota, a 1st offense is two weeks or two events, whichever is greater. And, that is for regular season events. So, if a kid gets nailed for drinking in the summer, they miss the first two weeks of the regular season. I seem to remember from my HS days that a first offense used to carry a longer suspension, but that has been adjusted over the years.

The maturation of Brennan Armstrong continues...

Yes...Nm

Context helps. Thought you meant my comment stating that was laughable. You meant Anderson saying it was laughable.

Top Bottom