Official 2018 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

Fleck should take a long look at this kid. He has a youtube video where he looks dominant, as he should. But looks like he could play DE or TE at the next level. I wonder if he camped with the gophers.

That might be part of the problem. The Gophers have plenty at both of those positions right now.

We have four quality players on paper who decommitted. One 4 star and three high 3 star players.

http://minnesota.247sports.com/Season/2018-Football/Decommits

In return, we are getting commitments from lower ranked players (on paper) like a Plan B list. On the bright side, there is a lot to be excited about Mayan Ahanotu and Thomas Rush. Let's just hope that when their rankings go up between now and NSD that no one comes and poach them too.

We used to poach from WMU. Now, we seem to be poached by other D1 programs.

per Joe:

Shannon is one of four players from the Class of 2018 who have committed to Fleck only to change their minds. Jalen Mayfield, a four-star offensive lineman from Michigan, was committed to Minnesota until he got an offer from his home-state Wolverines. Ultimately, it’s no surprise he picked Michigan.

Minnesota’s other decommitments were both three-star recruits from Alpharetta High School in Georgia – running back Nolan Edmonds and offensive lineman Oyenmwen Uzebu. Edmonds decommitted after visiting Michigan State and getting an offer from the Spartant. Still, he is another one who hasn’t ruled out Minnesota. In fact, he’s still scheduled to attend the Gophers annual summer recruiting barbecue, on July 29.

Back in February, the Gophers landed the top defensive tackle recruit from the state of Illinois, getting a verbal commitment from Chicago Marist’s Elijah Teague. From all accounts, he intends to become a Gopher on signing day (Feb. 7). Teague remains Minnesota’s highest-ranked recruit in the 247Sports Composite, with a 0.8681 rating (three stars).

Fleck has made no secret that he has immediate playing time available at defensive tackle. Steven Richardson, Andrew Stelter and Merrick Jackson are heading into their senior seasons. Gary Moore is a redshirt junior.

Shannon is ranked No. 2 behind Teague on the list of defensive tackles from the state of Illinois. He immediately became Iowa’s highest-ranked commitment (0.8590) in the 247Sports composite. It would have been something to see, with Teague and Shannon playing together for the Gophers as freshmen in 2018. Instead, with Shannon heading to Iowa, the Gophers will have to worry about blocking him each year in battle for Floyd of Rosedale.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...owa-as-noah-shannon-picks-hawkeyes/432679453/

Go Gophers!!

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

2.71? That is the kind of stuff that got TC fired!

Go Gophers!!

per KSTP:

Lakeville North offensive linemen Nathan Boe and Bryce Benhart are both being recruited to play for coach PJ Fleck and the University of Minnesota. Boe, a senior, has commited to the Gophers, while Benhart, a junior, is still considering his options.

Boe commited to the Gophers earlier this summer, and is excited to join the group of "elite" athletes that Fleck has been recruiting. While he looks forward to joining Minnesota next year, his focus is currently on having a succesful senior season, and he is hopeful he can lead Lakeville North to a state championship.

Benhart, who still has two years left to play at Lakeville North, is also focusing on having another strong season for the Panthers. While he says that him and Boe have always talked about playing together at the next level, he is keeping an open mind during the recruiting process, and doesn't plan on making a decision until his senior year. He has received offers from Minnesota, Wisconsin, Northwestern, Iowa State, and UCLA.

http://kstp.com/news/boe-benhart-la...-minnesota-recruits-gophers-pj-fleck/4535934/

Go Gophers!!

26th now in 247

Interesting that the USA Today is a composite that includes a source that also is a composite (247) that includes sources that are used to calculate that composite.

Also 247 has all 19 commits as 3*...Rivals has 14, Scout has 16. I know there's been plenty of discussion around it, but with 247 being a composite, something seems off.

per Sid:

• Gophers football coach P.J. Fleck was asked if he has made any decisions on the two scholarships he still has open for the Class of 2017: “I love that question. I still haven’t decided what I want to do with those yet. I can still push those to 2018. We already have seven commitments for 2018, which I think is the second-most in the country. For 2017 we still have two left, but we’re still waiting on a few kids to make it academically and be allowed into the University of Minnesota. If we have that happen we’ll fill one or two of them this year. If not we’ll push them back to the following year.”

http://www.startribune.com/paul-molitor-tells-twins-all-stars-to-enjoy-the-experience/433351423/

Go Gophers!!

per Sid:

• Gophers football coach P.J. Fleck was asked if he has made any decisions on the two scholarships he still has open for the Class of 2017: “I love that question. I still haven’t decided what I want to do with those yet. I can still push those to 2018. We already have seven commitments for 2018, which I think is the second-most in the country. For 2017 we still have two left, but we’re still waiting on a few kids to make it academically and be allowed into the University of Minnesota. If we have that happen we’ll fill one or two of them this year. If not we’ll push them back to the following year.”

http://www.startribune.com/paul-molitor-tells-twins-all-stars-to-enjoy-the-experience/433351423/

Go Gophers!!

Looks like Sid held on to this PJ quote a little long. He's had more than seven commits for at least three months now

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom