Official 2018 Recruiting Updates Thread: Links, Tweets, Videos, Stories, Rumors, etc.

per Sid:

Commits add up

Gophers football coach P.J. Fleck said that while he and his staff have put together a number of early commitments for next year’s recruiting class, he knows it’s about getting quality, not quantity.

“Right now we have 19 commitments. I think that puts us second in the country in terms of number of commitments,” Fleck said. “It’s not a race, but I think one thing it does show is how many people want to be Minnesota Golden Gophers now, they cannot wait to be Golden Gophers. We’ll probably get some more commitments in the next two weeks, and we’re very proud of that.”

Fleck said the Gophers are looking for quality individuals: “We’re not looking at just the stars, we’re looking at the five-star people, and that’s what we want. To win a [Big Ten] championship that hasn’t been done in 50 years, you have to get the right people that can handle the failing, can handle some of the growing pains, that can handle some of the doubters and the criticism of different things when you’re really different. Those are the type of players we’re recruiting.”

http://www.startribune.com/wolves-offseason-has-been-a-fruitful-one/434401693/

Go Gophers!!

One big premise for the PJ hire (which I still think is great, just making an observation) was because we weren't getting the caliber of recruit that Coyle felt acceptable.

Sure, the volume is there. But, according to 247, we're only ahead of Indiana, Purdue, Rutgers, and Illinois in terms of average composite star rating, and 8th overall (while outnumbering commitments nearly 2 to 1 in some cases). Seems to me, that's not a significant improvement. The number and timing is there...but most other direct B1G competition (Iowa, NW, Wisconsin) don't have the number of holes to fill, either (meaning were not beating them at anything, really, they have the luxury of waiting some guys out).

Also, were now all of the sudden hearing again how stars don't matter, only fit for the program. That's exactly what we heard under the previous regime.

Again, I like PJ so far, and results are what matter. But, where are the big recruiting gains posters like JohnnyBoy guaranteed, and would use to tear into people who expressed skepticism until some games were coached? The propaganda was thick.

The more things change, the more they stay same, apparently. Im still not convinced that the talent level of the roster is going to drastically change in the next few years.

One big premise for the PJ hire (which I still think is great, just making an observation) was because we weren't getting the caliber of recruit that Coyle felt acceptable.

Sure, the volume is there. But, according to 247, we're only ahead of Indiana, Purdue, Rutgers, and Illinois in terms of average composite star rating, and 8th overall (while outnumbering commitments nearly 2 to 1 in some cases). Seems to me, that's not a significant improvement. The number and timing is there...but most other direct B1G competition (Iowa, NW, Wisconsin) don't have the number of holes to fill, either (meaning were not beating them at anything, really, they have the luxury of waiting some guys out).

Also, were now all of the sudden hearing again how stars don't matter, only fit for the program. That's exactly what we heard under the previous regime.

Again, I like PJ so far, and results are what matter. But, where are the big recruiting gains posters like JohnnyBoy guaranteed, and would use to tear into people who expressed skepticism until some games were coached? The propaganda was thick.

The more things change, the more they stay same, apparently. Im still not convinced that the talent level of the roster is going to drastically change in the next few years.

The talent level doesn't need to drastically change. A slight talent upgrade plus slight coaching upgrade will get the team to be solid competitors in the conference. If the coaching is downgraded, then we will need a drastic talent increase. Time will tell on the coaching.

One place that is different is the higher ranked guys. So far 10 of the 19 commits are rated in the top 1000 (247). Over the previous four seasons, we averaged 6.5 signed guys in the top 1000.

We're probably always going to sign some of the lower rated (maybe under the radar?) guys. The key in my opinion is to get more of the higher rated guys with other good offers.

Iowa has a lot more middle of the road 3 star guys. Their average rating is better, but their best recruit would rank 4th on the Gophers commit list. Their second best would rank 6th. There are many ways to look at it. I think average star rating gives us an idea, but it doesn't always tell the whole story.

One place that is different is the higher ranked guys. So far 10 of the 19 commits are rated in the top 1000 (247). Over the previous four seasons, we averaged 6.5 signed guys in the top 1000.

We're probably always going to sign some of the lower rated (maybe under the radar?) guys. The key in my opinion is to get more of the higher rated guys with other good offers.

Iowa has a lot more middle of the road 3 star guys. Their average rating is better, but their best recruit would rank 4th on the Gophers commit list. Their second best would rank 6th. There are many ways to look at it. I think average star rating gives us an idea, but it doesn't always tell the whole story.

This. We're getting guys with multiple power 5 offers at a higher rate rather than people with MAC. Offers and nothing else

That's not what he's saying at all.

His quote was: "We’re not looking at just the stars, we’re looking at the five-star people, and that’s what we want."

Why am I mentioned randomly in 3 out of your first 15 posts? I'm sure you're not a user with multiple accounts or anything.

Don't want to keep having the same argument, but let me try to split the difference:

Yes, it appears that under Fleck so far, the Gophers are seeing a small increase in the level of recruits - but it is a fairly subtle difference.

So, both sides are right to a degree. The average ranking of recruits is higher - but it's not a huge jump. It gets down to this - how much improvement were you expecting? If any improvement is acceptable, then expectations are being met. But, if you were expecting a big jump in recruiting - with 4* recruits joining the fold - then expectations have not been met so far. Recruiting season is not over yet, so it's possible Fleck may still land a marquee recruit.

As I have said before, the average or casual fan (who probably doesn't read this board) does not grasp the difference between a low-3-star recruit and a high-3-star recruit. 3 stars is 3 stars, as far as the casual fan is concerned. If Fleck really wants to move the needle with those casual fans - and get them buying tickets - he probably needs to pull off at least one "splashy" signing. If not this year, then next year for sure.

Don't forget that next class will have a new athletic facility, to your to prospective recruits. That will bump us up considerably.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Anyone with questions about the difference in recruiting please listen to the gopher hole podcast on that subject.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone with questions about the difference in recruiting please listen to the gopher hole podcast on that subject.

...or check out the list of visitors to the July 29th BBQ....it's another level.

I disagree with Heracles on this not because we will get a lot more 4 star recruits, but that we will get a lot more productive passing QBs, Olinemen and WRs with this staff. I believe they can recognize real passing and receiving talent much better than JK/Limey did, and Limegrover did not recruit enough good athletes (at least good drive blockers for the offense we actually ran) on the O-line. We had some good ones, but not enough to compensate for the injury attrition we had during their tenure.
Our D the last two years was good enough to at least compete for the B1G West, but they were on the field too long against Iowa, Wisconsin, and Nebraska for 3 examples. If the last staff was as good at selecting and developing offensive players as that defensive staff had been we could have won the B1G West either of the last two years.

I disagree with Heracles on this not because we will get a lot more 4 star recruits, but that we will get a lot more productive passing QBs, Olinemen and WRs with this staff. I believe they can recognize real passing and receiving talent much better than JK/Limey did, and Limegrover did not recruit enough good athletes (at least good drive blockers for the offense we actually ran) on the O-line. We had some good ones, but not enough to compensate for the injury attrition we had during their tenure.
Our D the last two years was good enough to at least compete for the B1G West, but they were on the field too long against Iowa, Wisconsin, and Nebraska for 3 examples. If the last staff was as good at selecting and developing offensive players as that defensive staff had been we could have won the B1G West either of the last two years.

What he said

...or check out the list of visitors to the July 29th BBQ....it's another level.

The purported quality of a player that attends the BBQ is immaterial unless they sign on NSD and can qualify for admission in the summer.

The purported quality of a player that attends the BBQ is immaterial unless they sign on NSD and can qualify for admission in the summer.

Yeah um nope. Having guys with big offers and serious interest in program coming in would be material by any standard. People are buying our product and even if we lose another recruit or two by signing day, we'll likely be able to replace them with another solid guy.

My chief concern right now is filling the class too fast. We have a very good chance to be full before the beginning of the high school season and having flexibility to take late bloomers, guys returning to health, or other highly rated recruits sniffing around after a few wins is a good thing. Nice problem to have, though.

per Sid:

Commits add up

Gophers football coach P.J. Fleck said that while he and his staff have put together a number of early commitments for next year’s recruiting class, he knows it’s about getting quality, not quantity.

“Right now we have 19 commitments. I think that puts us second in the country in terms of number of commitments,” Fleck said. “It’s not a race, but I think one thing it does show is how many people want to be Minnesota Golden Gophers now, they cannot wait to be Golden Gophers. We’ll probably get some more commitments in the next two weeks, and we’re very proud of that.”

Fleck said the Gophers are looking for quality individuals: “We’re not looking at just the stars, we’re looking at the five-star people, and that’s what we want. To win a [Big Ten] championship that hasn’t been done in 50 years, you have to get the right people that can handle the failing, can handle some of the growing pains, that can handle some of the doubters and the criticism of different things when you’re really different. Those are the type of players we’re recruiting.”

http://www.startribune.com/wolves-offseason-has-been-a-fruitful-one/434401693/

Go Gophers!!

He is putting together an orchestra. Not just any orchestra. He is looking for the virtuoso or two with solid musicians and backup players. He wants a world class elite orchestra.

Yeah um nope. Having guys with big offers and serious interest in program coming in would be material by any standard. People are buying our product and even if we lose another recruit or two by signing day, we'll likely be able to replace them with another solid guy.

My chief concern right now is filling the class too fast. We have a very good chance to be full before the beginning of the high school season and having flexibility to take late bloomers, guys returning to health, or other highly rated recruits sniffing around after a few wins is a good thing. Nice problem to have, though.

Well, I will say we are making progress. A few months back this board was getting all flush by us offering high profile kids. You remember the fun days when we would break down the other offers for every kid we offered - until it became apparent we were going to offer virtually every high school player out there. I was "educated" pretty frequently on here how that was "progress" even before the kids visit. Seriously.

I agree with you that it is a great step when those kids visit here. That takes a commitment (of time, if nothing else) on their part and is progress over just receiving an offer (which, of course, takes no commitment on their part). However, that is progress ONLY in the effort to land that recruit. It is progress in landing that recruit. With all due respect, it is not progress in our program unless they sign and having a high profile guy visit here does not make it more likely to get other high level guys to visit here - unless he signs.

I said recruiting might be over after the 29th ( barbacue ) After looking at the list of attendees this may indeed happen. Then the problem comes in holding onto then till February. Some may bolt if we've a crappy season . On the flip side if we pop 8-9 wins you might have that 4 star kid come in a take a look. So I would like to see a couple schlorships held just for that. Either way I think this class will end in the low or high side of 40. Which would be a significant jump over last year ( # 58 on 247)

Well, I will say we are making progress. A few months back this board was getting all flush by us offering high profile kids. You remember the fun days when we would break down the other offers for every kid we offered - until it became apparent we were going to offer virtually every high school player out there. I was "educated" pretty frequently on here how that was "progress" even before the kids visit. Seriously.

I agree with you that it is a great step when those kids visit here. That takes a commitment (of time, if nothing else) on their part and is progress over just receiving an offer (which, of course, takes no commitment on their part). However, that is progress ONLY in the effort to land that recruit. It is progress in landing that recruit. With all due respect, it is not progress in our program unless they sign and having a high profile guy visit here does not make it more likely to get other high level guys to visit here - unless he signs.

I appreciate you conceding that we're making progress - I agree that it's evident. In regards to the other point....well yeah, if we brought in five star after five star and none of them wound up playing here, I would agree that we are no closer to progress and are perhaps a bit further behind because there Is likely an opportunity cost attached. But, let me ask you this: is it a normal progression for a program to start bringing in kids and having none of them sign? 247 predicts that FIVE of the kids scheduled to visit on the 29th sign here.

This is not Tyus Jones "interest" in the program nor does Peej have a track record of not reeling in the fish. To me it seems like an unnecessary jab at him because he doesn't exemplify the proper Lutheran behavior we're conditioned to admire. So, instead of looking at things objectively, there is another hurdle we're creating for him before we're impressed. This is a bias and it needs to be called out.

But let me concede a point back to you to let you know that I'm not blindly walking off a cliff for the guy. He clearly comes on strong and probably can't help it but he needs to back off on these visits so as not to unduly pressure the kids. He is likely unable to be able to do this himself so having Mo Linguist ready with the tranquilizer gun is of the essence here.

Patience young Spoofin. Patience.

I appreciate you conceding that we're making progress - I agree that it's evident. In regards to the other point....well yeah, if we brought in five star after five star and none of them wound up playing here, I would agree that we are no closer to progress and are perhaps a bit further behind because there Is likely an opportunity cost attached. But, let me ask you this: is it a normal progression for a program to start bringing in kids and having none of them sign? 247 predicts that FIVE of the kids scheduled to visit on the 29th sign here.

This is not Tyus Jones "interest" in the program nor does Peej have a track record of not reeling in the fish. To me it seems like an unnecessary jab at him because he doesn't exemplify the proper Lutheran behavior we're conditioned to admire. So, instead of looking at things objectively, there is another hurdle we're creating for him before we're impressed. This is a bias and it needs to be called out.

But let me concede a point back to you to let you know that I'm not blindly walking off a cliff for the guy. He clearly comes on strong and probably can't help it but he needs to back off on these visits so as not to unduly pressure the kids. He is likely unable to be able to do this himself so having Mo Linguist ready with the tranquilizer gun is of the essence here.

You are right. In the same respect I agree with what Oregon Gopher said in that we might want to put the dab position on hold until some of these guys actually commit (or sign in some cases). This thread was starting to mirror itself when the victory dances started for simply offering highly rated recruits.

I said recruiting might be over after the 29th ( barbacue ) After looking at the list of attendees this may indeed happen. Then the problem comes in holding onto then till February. Some may bolt if we've a crappy season . On the flip side if we pop 8-9 wins you might have that 4 star kid come in a take a look. So I would like to see a couple schlorships held just for that. Either way I think this class will end in the low or high side of 40. Which would be a significant jump over last year ( # 58 on 247)

Where can one find this list of attendees?

You are right. In the same respect I agree with what Oregon Gopher said in that we might want to put the dab position on hold until some of these guys actually commit (or sign in some cases). This thread was starting to mirror itself when the victory dances started for simply offering highly rated recruits.

Let's set the happy/sad over/under on signees from the BBQ at 2.5. If we get three or more recruits, the board will officially be pleased for a week. If two or less, the board status will officially be displeased.

Huh...sounds familiar for some reason...

Huh...sounds familiar for some reason...

Amazing where some's expectations have fallen - right to where others' (they used to criticize for that expectation) have been all along. At least we are all in agreement now. One happy GH Family!

Top Bottom