Should the B1G add North Dakota?

Gopher04

Reaction score
The B1GHC currently sits at 7 members. Adding Notre Dame was a huge step for the conference. It adds a decent program with the name recognition to a floundering conference. While the Notre Dame move will fill seats in the Michigan schools, it doesn't do much for Minnesota and Wisconsin in terms of rivalry and excitement. Adding North Dakota along with Notre Dame would fill seats in both the eastern schools, and the western schools. Also increasing competition and talent throughout the conference.

Here's a link about a potential 8th member:http://www.uscho.com/from-the-press...onference-arms-race-is-back-on/#ixzz43ku77I3n

I would love to have North Dakota back in the conference. I would also enjoy seeing either MSU Mankato or UMD in the B1G too. Any way that we can bring some rivalries, besides wisconsin, back into the conference schedule, I am all for.

No.

But i'd like UND to be back on the schedule, which it will.

I would love to have North Dakota back in the conference. I would also enjoy seeing either MSU Mankato or UMD in the B1G too. Any way that we can bring some rivalries, besides wisconsin, back into the conference schedule, I am all for.

While the Gophers and Mavs are planning their summer activities SCSU Huskies and UMD are opening play in NCAA. Gophers could schedule UND instead of teams like Vermont. They already had the rest of the area Div I teams on schedule this year - and lost almost all of the games against them. Go Huskies!

While the Gophers and Mavs are planning their summer activities SCSU Huskies and UMD are opening play in NCAA. Gophers could schedule UND instead of teams like Vermont. They already had the rest of the area Div I teams on schedule this year - and lost almost all of the games against them. Go Huskies!

What a grand post #1

Since Nebraska will never have a Hockey team the Big 10 should add UNO (Nebraska Omaha) to make 8 teams. The state of Michigan has 2 schools and does not need a third, so Big 10 should add Minnesota State University-Mankato and
U of M Duluth to make 10. Forget North Dakota'

Ferris State?

No! Nodak is not B1G material and neither is ASU for that matter. Give it time for the schools to recruit and raise the level of play. Most of the B1G has been very weak these first few years. With ND joining, MSU and UW will come back strong and OSU, PSU are getting better. As the level of play rises, so will the rivalries. The B1G needs to find a couple of more teams, but they need to be big time schools, not just some one sport wonder. In 5-10 years, the B1G will be the dominant hockey conference. The nodaks will be another Lake Superior State and settle down into the next tier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That, my friend, is impossible. If we could only add one more team to the B1G it would be unanimous... UND FIGHTING HAWKS.

Every time I read "Fighting Hawks", I throw up a little. The Fighting Sioux would be an excellent addition to the B1G! As for UND losing it's prowess in Hockey because of the rise of the B1G, Alchemy, you need to check where most of their recruits come from. B1G schools will never recruit Moose Jaw like UND does! They also own the Northwest corner of Minnesota.

31 Matej Tomek G 6-2 179 Fr. Bratislava, Slovakia (Topeka-NAHL)
16 Brock Boeser F 6-0 191 Fr. Burnsville, Minn. (Waterloo-USHL)
19 Shane Gersich F 5-11 177 Fr. Chaska, Minn. (Omaha-USHL)
4 Keaton Thompson D 6-1 200 Jr. Devils Lake, N.D. (U.S. NTDP )
11 Trevor Olson F 6-2 201 So. Duluth, Minn. (Sioux City-USHL)
3 Tucker Poolman D 6-3 214 So. East Grand Forks, Minn. (Omaha-USHL)
20 Gage Ausmus D 6-2 220 Jr. East Grand Forks, Minn. (U.S. NTDP )
25 Joel Janatuinen F 6-0 181 Fr. Espoo, Finland (Sioux City-USHL)
17 Colten St. Clair F 5-11 197 Sr. Gilbert, Ariz. (Fargo-USHL)
6 Paul LaDue D 6-1 197 Jr. Grand Forks, N.D. (Lincoln-USHL)
10 Johnny Simonson F 5-10 180 So. Grand Forks, N.D. (Lincoln-USHL)
27 Luke Johnson F 6-0 194 Jr. Grand Forks, N.D. (Lincoln-USHL)
13 Mike Gornall F 5-11 201 Fr. Irwin, Pa. (Topeka-NAHL)
22 Rhett Gardner F 6-2 215 Fr. Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan (Okotoks-AJHL)
26 Coltyn Sanderson F 6-1 200 Sr. Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan (Weyburn-SJHL)
18 Chris Wilkie F 5-11 201 Fr. Omaha, Neb. (Tri-City-USHL)
2 Troy Stecher D 5-11 191 Jr. Richmond, British Columbia (Penticton-BCHL)
24 Christian Wolanin D 6-1 177 Fr. Rochester, Mich. (Muskegon-USHL)
35 Ryan Anderson G 6-2 194 Fr. Roseau, Minn. (Roseau High School) (Minnesota-NAHL)
30 Matt Hrynkiw G 5-9 190 Jr. Saskatoon, Saskatchewan (Humboldt-SJHL)
14 Austin Poganski F 6-2 204 So. St. Cloud, Minn. (Tri-City-USHL)
33 Cam Johnson G 6-1 198 So. Troy, Mich. (Waterloo-USHL)
8 Nick Schmaltz F 6-1 181 So. Verona, Wis. (Green Bay-USHL)
29 Bryn Chyzyk F 6-0 180 Sr. Virden, Manitoba (Fargo-USHL)
9 Drake Caggiula F 5-10 185 Sr. Whitby, Ontario (Stouffville-OJHL)
21 Danys Chartrand D 6-1 188 Fr. Winnipeg, Manitoba (Flin Flon-SJHL)
28 Hayden Shaw D 5-10 191 Fr. Woodbury, Minn. (Dubuque-USHL)

Very few schools other than UND can get these guys outside of Minnesota, Wisconsin, UMD, SCSU and Denver. These are guys making a pit stop in college to make it to the NHL. They are not going to go to Ohio State or Penn State. They want to win.

31 Matej Tomek G 6-2 179 Fr. Bratislava, Slovakia (Topeka-NAHL) 16 Brock Boeser F 6-0 191 Fr. Burnsville, Minn. (Waterloo-USHL) 19 Shane Gersich F 5-11 177 Fr. Chaska, Minn. (Omaha-USHL) 4 Keaton Thompson D 6-1 200 Jr. Devils Lake, N.D. (U.S. NTDP ) 11 Trevor Olson F 6-2 201 So. Duluth, Minn. (Sioux City-USHL) 3 Tucker Poolman D 6-3 214 So. East Grand Forks, Minn. (Omaha-USHL) 20 Gage Ausmus D 6-2 220 Jr. East Grand Forks, Minn. (U.S. NTDP ) 25 Joel Janatuinen F 6-0 181 Fr. Espoo, Finland (Sioux City-USHL) 17 Colten St. Clair F 5-11 197 Sr. Gilbert, Ariz. (Fargo-USHL) 6 Paul LaDue D 6-1 197 Jr. Grand Forks, N.D. (Lincoln-USHL) 10 Johnny Simonson F 5-10 180 So. Grand Forks, N.D. (Lincoln-USHL) 27 Luke Johnson F 6-0 194 Jr. Grand Forks, N.D. (Lincoln-USHL) 13 Mike Gornall F 5-11 201 Fr. Irwin, Pa. (Topeka-NAHL) 22 Rhett Gardner F 6-2 215 Fr. Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan (Okotoks-AJHL) 26 Coltyn Sanderson F 6-1 200 Sr. Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan (Weyburn-SJHL) 18 Chris Wilkie F 5-11 201 Fr. Omaha, Neb. (Tri-City-USHL) 2 Troy Stecher D 5-11 191 Jr. Richmond, British Columbia (Penticton-BCHL) 24 Christian Wolanin D 6-1 177 Fr. Rochester, Mich. (Muskegon-USHL) 35 Ryan Anderson G 6-2 194 Fr. Roseau, Minn. (Roseau High School) (Minnesota-NAHL) 30 Matt Hrynkiw G 5-9 190 Jr. Saskatoon, Saskatchewan (Humboldt-SJHL) 14 Austin Poganski F 6-2 204 So. St. Cloud, Minn. (Tri-City-USHL) 33 Cam Johnson G 6-1 198 So. Troy, Mich. (Waterloo-USHL) 8 Nick Schmaltz F 6-1 181 So. Verona, Wis. (Green Bay-USHL) 29 Bryn Chyzyk F 6-0 180 Sr. Virden, Manitoba (Fargo-USHL) 9 Drake Caggiula F 5-10 185 Sr. Whitby, Ontario (Stouffville-OJHL) 21 Danys Chartrand D 6-1 188 Fr. Winnipeg, Manitoba (Flin Flon-SJHL) 28 Hayden Shaw D 5-10 191 Fr. Woodbury, Minn. (Dubuque-USHL) Very few schools other than UND can get these guys outside of Minnesota, Wisconsin, UMD, SCSU and Denver. These are guys making a pit stop in college to make it to the NHL. They are not going to go to Ohio State or Penn State. They want to win.

You say that now, but in 5 years the BIG might have the best route to the NHL. Best exposure, and coaching will only get better. Not to mention better facilities

No. Never going to happen. Maybe UConn, maybe ASU, but it won't be UND. They'll get a team with a bigger national name, not just a hockey name. Big10 is an elitist conference.

I don't know many UND fans that want to be part of the B1G.

31 Matej Tomek G 6-2 179 Fr. Bratislava, Slovakia (Topeka-NAHL)
16 Brock Boeser F 6-0 191 Fr. Burnsville, Minn. (Waterloo-USHL)
19 Shane Gersich F 5-11 177 Fr. Chaska, Minn. (Omaha-USHL)
4 Keaton Thompson D 6-1 200 Jr. Devils Lake, N.D. (U.S. NTDP )
11 Trevor Olson F 6-2 201 So. Duluth, Minn. (Sioux City-USHL)
3 Tucker Poolman D 6-3 214 So. East Grand Forks, Minn. (Omaha-USHL)
20 Gage Ausmus D 6-2 220 Jr. East Grand Forks, Minn. (U.S. NTDP )
25 Joel Janatuinen F 6-0 181 Fr. Espoo, Finland (Sioux City-USHL)
17 Colten St. Clair F 5-11 197 Sr. Gilbert, Ariz. (Fargo-USHL)
6 Paul LaDue D 6-1 197 Jr. Grand Forks, N.D. (Lincoln-USHL)
10 Johnny Simonson F 5-10 180 So. Grand Forks, N.D. (Lincoln-USHL)
27 Luke Johnson F 6-0 194 Jr. Grand Forks, N.D. (Lincoln-USHL)
13 Mike Gornall F 5-11 201 Fr. Irwin, Pa. (Topeka-NAHL)
22 Rhett Gardner F 6-2 215 Fr. Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan (Okotoks-AJHL)
26 Coltyn Sanderson F 6-1 200 Sr. Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan (Weyburn-SJHL)
18 Chris Wilkie F 5-11 201 Fr. Omaha, Neb. (Tri-City-USHL)
2 Troy Stecher D 5-11 191 Jr. Richmond, British Columbia (Penticton-BCHL)
24 Christian Wolanin D 6-1 177 Fr. Rochester, Mich. (Muskegon-USHL)
35 Ryan Anderson G 6-2 194 Fr. Roseau, Minn. (Roseau High School) (Minnesota-NAHL)
30 Matt Hrynkiw G 5-9 190 Jr. Saskatoon, Saskatchewan (Humboldt-SJHL)
14 Austin Poganski F 6-2 204 So. St. Cloud, Minn. (Tri-City-USHL)
33 Cam Johnson G 6-1 198 So. Troy, Mich. (Waterloo-USHL)
8 Nick Schmaltz F 6-1 181 So. Verona, Wis. (Green Bay-USHL)
29 Bryn Chyzyk F 6-0 180 Sr. Virden, Manitoba (Fargo-USHL)
9 Drake Caggiula F 5-10 185 Sr. Whitby, Ontario (Stouffville-OJHL)
21 Danys Chartrand D 6-1 188 Fr. Winnipeg, Manitoba (Flin Flon-SJHL)
28 Hayden Shaw D 5-10 191 Fr. Woodbury, Minn. (Dubuque-USHL)

Very few schools other than UND can get these guys outside of Minnesota, Wisconsin, UMD, SCSU and Denver. These are guys making a pit stop in college to make it to the NHL. They are not going to go to Ohio State or Penn State. They want to win.
A nice collection of Minnesota Boys.

I would rather spend a year being a big man on campus at huge school than a big man on campus at glorified commuter schools like UMD and SCSU.

Top Bottom