Kaler announces the U will hire Turnkey search as a search firm in their AD search

Conduct detrimental to the team. Violation of team rules.

His Head Coach didn't want him suspended. Reading the board, that would mean he was being a good A.D. He was bending to his Coach's wishes.

Then the A.D. suspended the players before trial. Making him a bad A.D. on the Basketball Board and a good A.D. on the Football Board? Then Jim Dutcher resigned making... I don't know. Just too confusing.

Picking the right A.D. is hard..

Well, we can't miss as badly as we have the last 42 times. To be honest, how many good AD's have we had? I'd need to see a list, I know there were a few in there. But we've generally been awful at AD, awful at president. I liked Hasselmo and Yudof were good presidents. Prexy B, not so much. Kaler appears to be a few dollars short of the job too, but I may only see things from the athletic side. Here we go:

Athletic Directors:
2002-12: Joel Maturi - Nope
2012-15: Norwood Teague - Worse
2015-: Beth Goetz - Hasn't been fired yet

Women's Athletic Directors:
1974-76: Belmar Gunderson
1976-81: Vivian M. Barfield
1981-82: M. Catherine Mathison (Interim)
1982-88: Merrily Dean Baker
1988-02: Chris Voelz

Men's Athletic Directors
1922-30: Fred Leuhring
1930-32: H.O. Crisler
1932-41: Frank G. McCormick
1941-46: Lou Keller (Acting)
1945-50: Frank G. McCormick
1950-63: Ike J. Armstrong
1963-71: Marshall J. Ryman
1971-88: Paul Giel - We need another guy like this
1988-89: Holger Christiansen (Interim)
1989-91: Rick Bay - HEHE
1991-92: Dan Meinert (Interim)
1992-95: McKinley Boston - Was pretty good
1995-99: Mark Dienhart - Bad
1999-02: Tom Moe -Bad[/QU

If you are looking at it from the Athletics viewpoint, why would you like Hasselmo? As I recall he didn't give a rat's backside about athletics whereas Bruininks was a big part of getting the stadium built.

Plus as a human being he was more likeable to Minnesotans than Brewster which can cloud someone's perception, but at the end of the day as bad as it was at the end for Brew, we did go to two bowl games and had a couple Mason like seasons. Wacker at least beat Wisconsin a couple times, but I think four wins was his high mark?

Don't forget, we were ranked once under Wacker after beating Syracuse. Lasted one week, but hey. And we beat Wisconsin their first Rose Bowl year. Like I said in another thread, Omar Douglas was the bright spot. I took classes with Sauter, so I didn't care for him too much.

If you are looking at it from the Athletics viewpoint, why would you like Hasselmo? As I recall he didn't give a rat's backside about athletics whereas Bruininks was a big part of getting the stadium built.

Actually, I was going to school and working at the U during end of Hasselmo and Yudof. Yudof made the U a much nice campus. Its really too bad we lost him to U Texas system, but its where he was from. I got to have a lunch at Eastcliff with Hasselmo and he was a likeable guy, so that where that came from. So neither comment on president came from an athletics point of view.

Don't forget, we were ranked once under Wacker after beating Syracuse.

Was that in the coach's poll? We were never ranked in the AP poll under Wacker. We were ranked for 2 weeks in the AP poll under Brewster.

University of Minnesota announces search committee and search firm for Gopher athletics director search

Per U of MN: http://discover.umn.edu/news/vision-...ch-firm-gopher

A 16-member search committee was named today by University of Minnesota President Eric W. Kaler to conduct a national search for the next director of Golden Gopher Athletics.

“The search for our next athletics director must bring our community together, and we have assembled a strong, diverse search committee to do that,” said Kaler. “Gopher Athletics must reflect the overall excellence of the University, and I’m confident this search will produce candidates with integrity and a record of success.”

Katrice Albert, the University’s vice president for equity and diversity, and Perry Leo, professor of aerospace engineering and faculty athletics representative, will co-chair the search committee.

The other members of the search committee reflect many stakeholder groups that are critical to Gopher Athletics’ success. They include the following faculty members, a head coach, a current student-athlete, former student-athletes, business people and community members:

Duke Anyanwu - Gopher student-athlete; Member, Advisory Committee on Athletics
Shari Ballard - President of U.S. Retail, Best Buy Corporation; Trustee, University of Minnesota Foundation
Jeremiah Carter - Director of Athletic Compliance; former Gopher student-athlete
Kevin Cattoor - Chief Operating Officer, Foodsby; Former Executive Vice President, Minnesota Twins
Bob Cunningham - Chief Executive Officer, Tri-County Implement; Member, President’s Club, University of Minnesota Foundation
Marty Davis - President & Chief Executive Officer, Cambria: Member, Intercollegiate Athletics Leadership Council
Emily Hoover - Professor of Horticulture; Faculty Athletics Representative
Lisa Kihl - Associate Professor of Kinesiology; Chair, sub-committee on Equity and Diversity, Advisory Committee on Athletics
Lisa Lissimore - Associate Director, Minnesota State High School League; Former Gopher student-athlete
Hugh McCutcheon - Head Coach, Golden Gopher Volleyball
Deborah Olson - CEO & Chair, Nelson Laboratories (retired); Member, Intercollegiate Athletics Leadership Council
Darrell Thompson - President, Bolder Options; Former Gopher student-athlete
Tom Vannelli - Director of Corporate Sales & Marketing, 3M Championship; Former Gopher student-athlete
Kevin Warren - Chief Operating Officer, Minnesota Vikings; Trustee, University of Minnesota Foundation
To assist with the search, nationally-recognized Turnkey Search has been retained. Turnkey Search, based in Haddonfield, N.J., is a subsidiary of Turnkey Sports and Entertainment. The lead consultants for this search will be Turnkey founder and CEO Len Perna and Senior Executive Director Gene DeFilippo, who is also the former athletics director at Boston College and Villanova. The firm was selected through an open competitive bidding process and will be paid a flat fee of $150,000 plus expenses. Turnkey’s recent comparable searches include the University of Michigan Athletics Director and Georgetown University Athletics Director.

“More than anything, this search must surface the highest quality candidates and the process must reflect the integrity we expect of our next Athletics Director,” said Kaler. “Turnkey brings significant professionalism and the ability to convince strong candidates who already have outstanding jobs, to consider this opportunity.”

Kaler noted that search fees are typically one-third of a first year Athletics Director’s salary plus expenses. The current median salary for Big Ten Athletics Directors is $750,000.

Kaler said he expects the search committee to meet immediately to finalize the position description and then, in cooperation with Turnkey, begin sourcing candidates nationally. Semi-finalist candidates will likely be interviewed in six to eight weeks. The search co-chairs will be the spokespeople for the search and will also reach out to key stakeholders to help shape the position description and qualifications.

Jon Steadland, Associate to the Deputy Chief of Staff in the Office of the President, will serve as the President’s liaison to the search committee and provide additional staff support to the process.

For more information on the search for the University of Minnesota's next director of athletics, visit: http://president.umn.edu/athletics-director-search.

If you do the math we're getting a hell of a deal!

He also was able to hire Lou Holtz, even though we couldn't keep him more than 2 years.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

If they are spending 150k and many man-hours time on a wild goose chase instead of hiring someone that already satisfies the cry bully contingent that's just stupid.

The perception that the search is a charade and that Beth Goetz is a shoe-in may indeed keep some good potential applicants from risking their current AD jobs.

Strib:
His(Kaler's) hiring (of a search firm) only fueled the national perception that Goetz is a slam-dunk to get the job.

“She and I talked about that and I told her — and she told the person [Taylor-Dixon] that she hired — ‘I might not be here,’ ” Kaler told the Star Tribune. “And he came into that with eyes wide open.”

On the other hand, what does Goetz mean when she said she might not be here? Does this mean she is looking just in case she did not get the full time gig?

What a mesqualito. Why not just offer her or Dan O'Brien the job and save the U a ton of money?

Why didn't the skeleton cross the road? Because it had no guts.

The perception that the search is a charade and that Beth Goetz is a shoe-in may indeed keep some good potential applicants from risking their current AD jobs.

Strib:
His(Kaler's) hiring (of a search firm) only fueled the national perception that Goetz is a slam-dunk to get the job.

“She and I talked about that and I told her — and she told the person [Taylor-Dixon] that she hired — ‘I might not be here,’ ” Kaler told the Star Tribune. “And he came into that with eyes wide open.”

On the other hand, what does Goetz mean when she said she might not be here? Does this mean she is looking just in case she did not get the full time gig?

What a mesqualito. Why not just offer her or Dan O'Brien the job and save the U a ton of money?

Why didn't the skeleton cross the road? Because it had no guts.

Now that's a name I've not heard in a long time; a long time. Thanks for the chuckle Mr. Hungan.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Q3LE15AyT5g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

At first glance I read the title to this thread as involving a search for a turkey, which given the latest happenings, sounded quite plausible.

At first glance I read the title to this thread as involving a search for a turkey, which given the latest happenings, sounded quite plausible.

You're half-right there my friend. It doesn't matter what bird it is. It still smells foul no matter how this thing is cooked.

The U of M is a hard luck kid at this game.

Do you hire an insider who at least administratively demonstrated she can manage the program somewhat effectively as Interim AD, or do you hire an outsider who may have other intangible qualities that make a good AD but risk another woody flop?

Who nows, Beth Goetz might excel in other aspects of the job like fundraising, providing/continuing the vision to rebuild the Athletics program up, and firing coaches when necessary. From what I read here and elsewhere, there are signs that she can be effective.

But, it is incumbent upon the administration and the BOR to cast a wider net to find the best qualified AD. It is just the timing and the execution is way off not to mention the Title IX stuff in the background.

This actually looks like a pretty good cross-section of people and we can joke about Hoover, but she is a member of the Advisory Committee on Athletics (as are a several other members of the search committee), so she's not out of left field.

I just hope it's someone solid. If that's Goetz, fine.

Let me see if I have this right. We have a National Search Firm Hired. And now a University of Minnesota Search Committee. This is beginning to sound like a how many ------- does it take.

Let me see if I have this right. We have a National Search Firm Hired. And now a University of Minnesota Search Committee. This is beginning to sound like a how many ------- does it take.

The search firm is a buffer so that a sitting A/D can honestly say that they have not talked to Minnesota.

The search committee interviews the finalists from the firm & the 2 committee chairs.

I have personal experience with a board and a being on a search committee with a search firm providing candidates. Weeks interviewing 5 finalists. Ranking them from 1 to 5. And presto after three votes the board chose candidate number 5. Number 5 was an in house candidate we felt was not qualified, had no vision. It was was three weeks of I will never get back. If this all comes down protecting Goetz, and they end up hiring her. Just think of the time and money we could have saved.

I have personal experience with a board and a being on a search committee with a search firm providing candidates. Weeks interviewing 5 finalists. Ranking them from 1 to 5. And presto after three votes the board chose candidate number 5. Number 5 was an in house candidate we felt was not qualified, had no vision. It was was three weeks of I will never get back. If this all comes down protecting Goetz, and they end up hiring her. Just think of the time and money we could have saved.

While I agree it will all be a waste of time/money if the plan was to always hire BG - it doesn't surprise me in the least. It is all CYA at this point. If they hire her now and she fails they have other places to point the finger. If they hired her w/o committee & firm and she fails - oh dear how pitch fork nation would attack the U for not looking at other candidates. They spend other people's money to protect their own butts. With that option, they would almost be dumb not to.

While I agree it will all be a waste of time/money if the plan was to always hire BG - it doesn't surprise me in the least. It is all CYA at this point. If they hire her now and she fails they have other places to point the finger. If they hired her w/o committee & firm and she fails - oh dear how pitch fork nation would attack the U for not looking at other candidates. They spend other people's money to protect their own butts. With that option, they would almost be dumb not to.

Unlike the TC hire which I am fine with. I am surprised they did not go the same PC/CYA route with that. Kaler must have realized there was a sense of urgency to make the hire and felt that we already had the guy here. He took the chance and its his hire. The pitch fork nation was not a concern, at least for now.

I am OK with an extensive search for the AD even if Beth is hired. She may or may not be the best candidate. Even though its costly and time consuming, I think its the right thing to do.

Top Bottom