CBS: Mike Gundy: Texas network a 'failure,' elimination key to Big 12 stability

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Dodd:

Texas should eliminate the Longhorn Network or the Big 12 faces more instability, Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy told CBS Sports on Monday.

Gundy's said the league overall needs to market itself better. The conference, he said, is at a disadvantage because of the widespread distribution and success of the SEC Network and Big Ten Network.

Eliminating LHN -- which he called a “failure -- and creating a conference-wide Big 12 Network would give the league more national exposure, Gundy added.

“If we don't eliminate the Longhorn Network and create our own network, they're going to continue to have issues with this league,” Gundy said as the Cowboys returned from spring break to continue spring practice.

He continued: “You don't have a Big 12 Network; you have a network within the league that people consider a failure.”

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...-network-a-failure-big-12-needs-it-eliminated

Go Gophers!!

If you didn't see that in 2010 when Nebraska, A & M, Colorado, and Missouri left, citing unfair revenue distribution, you are blind.

Unless the Big 12 changes something drastically, they will cease to exist if/when the 4 mega-conferences are formed. It's either them or the ACC because the PAC, B1G, and SEC are too strong.

Unless the Big 12 changes something drastically, they will cease to exist if/when the 4 mega-conferences are formed. It's either them or the ACC because the PAC, B1G, and SEC are too strong.

Notice that the three conferences that are most strong are also the ones with a conference network. I think Notre Dame is the key to the final conference. If they join the ACC in football, it could drive an ACC network and help end the Big 12. If they join the Big Ten or even the Big 12, then the ACC will probably not make it.

Notice that the three conferences that are most strong are also the ones with a conference network. I think Notre Dame is the key to the final conference. If they join the ACC in football, it could drive an ACC network and help end the Big 12. If they join the Big Ten or even the Big 12, then the ACC will probably not make it.

Notre Dame joining the Big Ten in Hockey could be a sign of where they are going in Football, eventually. They need their rivals in football back like Michigan and others.

If you believe the PAC 12 is strong then I'm not sure a conference network is necessary for the health of a conference. The PAC network hasn't been anywhere close to the B1G and SEC networks as far as providing revenue to the member schools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you believe the PAC 12 is strong then I'm not sure a conference network is necessary for the health of a conference. The PAC network hasn't been anywhere close to the B1G and SEC networks as far as providing revenue to the member schools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Strength of the PAC is based on their geography more than anything. They monopolize major college sports in the entire western US. Big 12 is at a disadvantage being adjacent to the other conferences, making for easily divying up their teams. The TV networks enter into the equation of course, but the geography protects the PAC more than anything, imo.

5ee3402d2c78a4e494701bbd2b37ce3a.jpg

There already is an ACC Network

Oh man, I just lost my supper. Thanks for that.....

Notre Dame joining the Big Ten in Hockey could be a sign of where they are going in Football, eventually. They need their rivals in football back like Michigan and others.

Why would they leave the HEC?

You are not giving tOSU and Wisconsin enough credit, they are putting on a good impression of Mich.

Amen to that. I had the most miserable elevator ride in Vegas last November with a bunch of arrogant OSU fans. When I told them I was a MN Alum they just laughed and made some wise-crack remark about Kill getting BIG football coach of the year.

Amen to that. I had the most miserable elevator ride in Vegas last November with a bunch of arrogant OSU fans. When I told them I was a MN Alum they just laughed and made some wise-crack remark about Kill getting BIG football coach of the year.

What is worst?

Michigan fans dressing up like Harbaugh and acting childish or the OSU fans you met.

Screw ND. They had their chance.

Hey, I'd listen if they were interested. Used to call them the eleventh B1G team back before Penn St. Hard to admit, but it would elevate the B1G even more as the best overall conference. Go grab KU and we'd be looking pretty good at 16 teams.

I don't care how many times Notre Dame has turned down the Big 10. The minute they say they are interested I would give them a contract on the spot. Notre Dame Football is about the most recognizable team in the country in any sport outside of maybe the New York Yankees. They would bring BIG money to the conference and could you imagine a road trip to South Bend???

I don't care how many times Notre Dame has turned down the Big 10. The minute they say they are interested I would give them a contract on the spot. Notre Dame Football is about the most recognizable team in the country in any sport outside of maybe the New York Yankees. They would bring BIG money to the conference and could you imagine a road trip to South Bend???

Would be great road trip. Their BBall is not too ba either.

I don't care how many times Notre Dame has turned down the Big 10. The minute they say they are interested I would give them a contract on the spot. Notre Dame Football is about the most recognizable team in the country in any sport outside of maybe the New York Yankees. They would bring BIG money to the conference and could you imagine a road trip to South Bend???[/QUOTE]

Yes, I do it every year. Once you pass the traffic hells of Madison (in recent years) and Chicago (pay the tolls online) and enter leprechaun-land South Bend is a rather low-key place. Gorgeous campus, old but classic stadium.

I for one would love to have them.

Top Bottom