Notre Dame leaves Hockey East for Big 10

gophersfan

Reaction score
Notre Dame is leaving Hockey East for the Big Ten starting with 2017-18 season.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Notre Dame is leaving Hockey East for the Big Ten starting with 2017-18 season.

Interesting, wonder if other BCS hockey programs will follow suit. Doubt BC would because of their rivalries, but it be nice to get the league up to eight teams

Crazy. Good addition, but can't believe the B1G went along with adding them in one sport.

Thats a positive development. It will never happen but my dream scenario would be if they could get UND, SDSU and UMD in the conference to bump it to ten teams. That would be a great conference.

Well the Arizona St thing likely would be short term. The talk was that there would be a Pac 10 conference within 10 years, as lots of teams will be adding teams. Which would be really good to see...

Well the Arizona St thing likely would be short term. The talk was that there would be a Pac 10 conference within 10 years, as lots of teams will be adding teams. Which would be really good to see...

If so, then there's more options for your third-tier Minnesota prep players. I realize the sport is growing out west, but there's no way they have that much (quality) depth out there to fill all those rosters.

Go Gophers!!

If anything, I'd like to see schools that don't have any other D1 programs added to the Big 10 as charter members, for example:
- Minnesota St - Mankato
- Bemidji St
- St. Cloud State
- Northern Michigan
- Michigan Tech

At least these would make sense geographically.

Iowa and Illinois have Club Hockey and have thrown around the idea before. Maryland and Rutgers are in hockey rich areas, but they may need a few years of B1G income to be able to consider it...

Heck, for some weird reason (probably because everyone that could moved out of their state), Michigan and Michigan St never adopted Women's Hockey.

Excellent move by the B1G. Make Arizona State #8. They'll be a power within 4-5 years. What hockey player wouldn't want to leave the cold and play the sport he loves in a warm climate?

Getting to 10 teams would be ideal. Take any 2 of UND, UMD, Omaha, or St. Cloud State. My preference would be UND & UMD.

Don't get the feeling at all any other B1G schools are adding hockey anytime soon. It's a money drain at most schools, correct?

Meh... Yet another hockey program opting to hitch their wagon to their big brother football program, by wearing football inspired hockey helmets.

Yuck! Just when you thought the conference couldn't get any worse. I thought we started the B1G hockey conference for B1G schools. What a joke!

Meh... Yet another hockey program opting to hitch their wagon to their big brother football program, by wearing football inspired hockey helmets.

Maybe, but the Golden Domers have had Men's Hockey for over 50 years, play in a new arena and were actually members of the WCHA from 1971 to 1981. And nope, didn't know any of those things until I read them today. ;)

Yuck! Just when you thought the conference couldn't get any worse. I thought we started the B1G hockey conference for B1G schools. What a joke!

Pssshhh, I hope that was sarcasm because this move was a lifeline for the B1G. Jeff Jackson can coach (two National titles at LSS) and his ND teams get big time recruits. This is a great fit and when we add 1-3 more of the aforementioned hockey programs down the road then this hockey conference will be outstanding.

Pssshhh, I hope that was sarcasm because this move was a lifeline for the B1G. Jeff Jackson can coach (two National titles at LSS) and his ND teams get big time recruits. This is a great fit and when we add 1-3 more of the aforementioned hockey programs down the road then this hockey conference will be outstanding.

So no more 5 titles in a row?

Iowa and Illinois have Club Hockey and have thrown around the idea before. Maryland and Rutgers are in hockey rich areas, but they may need a few years of B1G income to be able to consider it...

Heck, for some weird reason (probably because everyone that could moved out of their state), Michigan and Michigan St never adopted Women's Hockey.

?????? In terms of what?

I live in Maryland, how can you possibly consider this state hockey rich? The hockey teams in the WCAC have girls playing on the boys teams. And none of them have their own ice. Practices are three times a week.

Top Bottom