Early Look At 2016-17 B1G Non-Conference Schedules

I saw your question. Did you get my response?

Don't know what I'm doing with this "blog thingy" you posted. Couldn't tell if I was replaying to you on the board or in a PM?

I saw your question. Did you get my response?

Don't know what I'm doing with this "blog thingy" you posted. Couldn't tell if I was replaying to you on the board or in a PM?
I must've hit the wrong link, I also don't know how much credit Fran deserves other than scheduling Virginia, they always play Iowa State and one of UNI or Drake. Notre Dame and Seton Hall were assign to them for the challenges?

Valid point, but bottom line is it's still one schedule. The Hawkeyes have what I'd call 6 likely "quality" games/opponents.

My opinion is Power 6 programs should strive to play 6 or 7 non-conference games vs. other Power 6/notable/decent opponents. Most Power 6 schools play 13 (maybe 12) non-conference games. Iowa hits that mark (6) when Memphis or Providence (in their exempt tournament) is added to Seton Hall (Gavitt Tipoff), Virginia (exempt tourney), Notre Dame (ACC Challenge), Iowa State (continuous home & home), and Northern Iowa (play every other year).

For comparison, so far the Gophers have 4 such games. ... Arkansas, Florida State, Saint John's, and Vanderbilt. My hope is Pitino is adding at least two more to those four.

On the Men's Basketball page of Northwestern's website, their is a calendar showing the upcoming schedule. On Nov. 14, it says the opponent is TBA but right underneath is Eastern Washington's logo, which means that is who they are playing in the other Legends Classic regional game. This of course means they will play Bryant on the 25th.

Gophers Non-Conference Opponent Rankings: KenPom & RPI

KenPom
Vanderbilt (31)
Florida State (50)
Arkansas (90)
Northern Illinois (169)
Saint John's (222)

KenPom Average = 112.4

RPI
Vanderbilt (63)
Florida State (82)
Arkansas (133)
Northern Illinois (136)
Saint John's (246)

RPI Average = 132

Michigan will host Howard on Nov. 11

In a non-bracketed game of the 2K Classic.

Exempt tournament updates

Per Andy Katz it appears Michigan will draw Marquette (2K Classic) and Northwestern will draw Texas (Legends Classic) in their respective exempt tournaments.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Nebraska draws Dayton in Wooden Legacy

Pairings announced for most of the exempt tournaments

Michigan State will play Saint John's (a Gophers opponent) in the Battle 4 Atlantis.

Looks like they have an NSIC team on the schedule, University of Mary, interesting they would throw away a scheduling opportunity like that, unless it's an exempt game where they didn't have a choice.

U of Mary not an exempt game.

The Huskers' home schedule not very good save for Creighton and maybe Louisiana Tech, but the 3 for-sure road/neutral games all are tough. ... Kansas, Dayton, and Clemson.

Penn State also will play Saint John's

That's now three B1G opponents for the Johnnies.

Indiana "Classic" is Hoosiers' exempt tourney

My guess is Hoosiers will play someone of repute in place of non-Division I Central Penn, but in this day and age of gutless scheduling one never knows.

Wisconsin draws Tennessee in Maui Invitational quarterfinals

Illinois will open with Southeast Missouri State

In Assembly Hall on Opening Night (Nov. 11).

Penn State hosts Duquesne on Nov. 13

According to Rothstein's twitter Michigan and Texas are starting a home and home series. 16-17 at Michigan and 17-18 at Texas

Penn State will play Albany in the opener now instead of Marist. It looks like from what I have read that even though Marist is in New York, they are a private school and thus aren't prevented from playing at Duke like Albany was.

Also a couple of Badger scheduling notes:

-We won't be playing Milwaukee this year, according to their released schedule, which is surprising to me.

-Army released their schedule, and they won't be coming to Madison as part of the Maui Invitational, as they will only play at Oregon. They revealed that the other teams in the Maui Mainland are Chattanooga, Central Arkansas and another team TBD. Chattanooga is obviously out already as well, so the only options left are either Central Arkansas or the mystery 4th team.

Penn State will play Albany in the opener now instead of Marist. It looks like from what I have read that even though Marist is in New York, they are a private school and thus aren't prevented from playing at Duke like Albany was.

Also a couple of Badger scheduling notes:

-We won't be playing Milwaukee this year, according to their released schedule, which is surprising to me.

-Army released their schedule, and they won't be coming to Madison as part of the Maui Invitational, as they will only play at Oregon. They revealed that the other teams in the Maui Mainland are Chattanooga, Central Arkansas and another team TBD. Chattanooga is obviously out already as well, so the only options left are either Central Arkansas or the mystery 4th team.

Thanks. For now am going to assume Tennessee State or Wagner will be the 4th team for Maui on Mainland.

Top Bottom