Early Look At 2016-17 B1G Non-Conference Schedules

Out of curiosity when did the gophs release their non con schedule last year? Seems like under both Pitino and Tubby we've been late to the party in that department, if it's pending another home and home I am okay with that, but I am thinking they're satisfied with the amount "tough" games on their schedule

Out of curiosity when did the gophs release their non con schedule last year? Seems like under both Pitino and Tubby we've been late to the party in that department, if it's pending another home and home I am okay with that, but I am thinking they're satisfied with the amount "tough" games on their schedule

I was curious about that too. Here is Amelia's write-up from when it was released last year -- August 31. Does seem really late. Hope they don't make us wait that long this year.

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers...-season-opens-against-umkc-on-nov-13-at-home/

Need at least 2 more decent opponents

Gophers traditionally announce their non-conference schedule very late, well after season-ticket renewals are due. For what it's worth I was told point-blank by FanRelations on the phone the non-conference schedule would be released in mid- to late July. Here are the last 5 years:

August 31, 2015
August 21, 2014
July 30, 2013
August 30, 2012
August 4, 2011

Hoping the 4 good games we've announced (Arkansas, Florida State, Saint John's, Vandy) aren't the only ones we're playing. There needs to be at least 2 more.

The assumption was dropping out of the exempt tournament in Vegas meant more opportunities to schedule additional quality opponents (read: home-and-homes, etc.). So far, basically, we've replaced 2 of Alabama/BYU/Valpo with Arkansas and Saint John's (Dave Gavitt Tip-Off), both at home. As a season-ticket holder I'm certainly cool with that because of the home games, but the overall schedule still needs some more beef. Need more than 4 of 13 non-conference games to be decent opponents. I always say the number should be 6 or 7. So far it's 4.

Michigan has released their non-conference schedule. Interesting that the game at Cincinnati is off. They must have replaced it with the South Carolina game.

Penn State also released their non-conference schedule. The only new opponents are Colgate and Wright State. Without looking at the numbers, I would say that this is the best looking schedule the Nittany Lions have had in a while, at least since Pat Chambers has been the coach.

Thanks for the heads-up. Sounds like Monson once again will have a loaded non-conference schedule.

Any word on who the Spartans are getting for their mainland opponent?

Still nothing, but it is coming together a little bit more. Binghamton is a mainland team announced to play VCU. So far what is known is : Long Beach State plays at Louisville and Wichita State, Florida Gulf Coast plays at Baylor, Binghamton plays at VCU. That leaves MSU, St John's, LSU, and Old Dominion.

If it goes geographically (as it seems to be so far): LSU will host Florida Gulf Coast. Binghamton will draw St Johns or OLd Dominion. The unknown team will play at MSU and St JOhns or ODU

Penn State will play Albany in the opener now instead of Marist. It looks like from what I have read that even though Marist is in New York, they are a private school and thus aren't prevented from playing at Duke like Albany was.

Where did you see Penn State was definitely playing Albany? I haven't seen that anywhere.

NIT Season Tip-Off matchups set

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Still nothing, but it is coming together a little bit more. Binghamton is a mainland team announced to play VCU. So far what is known is : Long Beach State plays at Louisville and Wichita State, Florida Gulf Coast plays at Baylor, Binghamton plays at VCU. That leaves MSU, St John's, LSU, and Old Dominion.

If it goes geographically (as it seems to be so far): LSU will host Florida Gulf Coast. Binghamton will draw St Johns or OLd Dominion. The unknown team will play at MSU and St JOhns or ODU

Saw on a St Johns message board that they host Binghamton. That leaves FGCU (who will probably draw LSU) and an unknown team that probably plays MSU and ODU. Looking at ODU's message board, if their posters are right, they have all of their opponents known. The teams that they are hosting that are not yet known to be in an exempt are James Madison, William & Mary, and Dartmouth. More than likely one of those three teams is the mainland team for MSU.

Oddly, Old Dominion is hosting VCU which is also in the Battle 4 Atlantis.

Badgers will play Central Arkansas

In their non-bracketed Maui game, per UCA coaching staff.

Central Connecticut State posted their schedule on their website, and it says they will play at Rutgers on Dec. 6.

Battle 4 Atlantis

Binghamton staff has confirmed Bearcats will play mainland games @ Saint John's and VCU. Staff said Battle 4 Atlantis is having trouble finding a 4th mainland team.

This means MSU will play Florida Gulf Coast or the team yet to be determined.

Central Arkansas posted their schedule on their website, confirming they will play the Badgers on Nov. 11.

Gophers foe Arkansas a SEC sleeper, says Jon Rothstein

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Rutgers will host Drexel on Nov. 13

As part of Scarlet Knight Showcase.

Illinois released their non-conference schedule. The only new addition is a Nov. 15 home game against McKendree.

Several schedules updated, including Gophers. Arkansas game will be Nov. 22, Tuesday before Thanksgiving.

Top Bottom