Hudson Fasching Signs Entry-Level Contract With Sabres

Reaction score
MINNEAPOLIS (GopherSports.com) –Gopher Hockey junior forward Hudson Fasching, who helped Minnesota win three-straight conference championships in three years with the program, will forego his final year of eligibility after signing an entry-level contract with the Buffalo Sabres.

“I wouldn’t trade my experience at the University of Minnesota for anything,” Fasching said. “While I’m excited for the next phase of my hockey career with the Buffalo Sabres, I will always be proud of what we accomplished in my three years here. I have so many great memories as a Gopher, and I want to thank my teammates, the staff and our fans for such a wonderful opportunity.”

In 115 career games with the Maroon & Gold, Fasching recorded 94 points (46 goals, 48 assists) and finished his career with a +47 rating. The native of Burnsville, Minn., missed just two games in his college career to represent the United States at two IIHF World Junior Championships while he also helped Minnesota take home the first three regular-season conference titles in Big Ten history as well as the 2015 Big Ten playoff title.

“Hudson came into our program as a tremendous young man, and he leaves an even better one,” Minnesota head coach Don Lucia. “It has been incredibly rewarding to watch Hudson develop into an NHL-ready player while earning his degree over the last three years. We are proud of the way he has represented our program and our school, and we wish him the absolute best in his pro career.”

Fasching’s final season with the Gophers proved to be his finest as he earned Second Team All-Big Ten honors while setting career highs for points (38), goals (20) and assists (18). Voted an alternate captain for the 2015-16 season, Fasching tied for the team lead in goals while seven of his 20 tallies were game winners – a statistic that led the Big Ten and ranked tied for third in the NCAA.

The Frank Pond Rookie of the Year for Minnesota in 2013-14, Fasching earned All-Big Ten Freshman Team honors and All-Big Ten Honorable Mention while helping the Maroon & Gold to the inaugural Big Ten regular-season conference championship and an appearance in the Frozen Four national championship game.

An Academic All-Big Ten honoree last season and a candidate this year in his second year of eligibility, Fasching will graduate this spring with a degree in entrepreneurial management from the Carlson School of Management. The forward was named the team’s John Mayasich Outstanding Student-Athlete of the Year on Sunday.

A fourth round selection (118th overall) of the Los Angeles Kings in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft, Fasching’s rights were traded to the Buffalo Sabres during the 2013-14 season.

Top Bottom