ESPN: Minnesota Women's Hockey Team Received Men's Frozen Four Hats After Winning Nat

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

It wasn't a great weekend for treatment of women in sports. From the offensive and inaccurate comments, of Indian Wells CEO Raymond Moore about WTA players to Novak Djokovic's disappointing thoughts on equal pay, it's been feeling more like 1966 than 2016 over the past few days.

And just when you thought it probably couldn't get any more discouraging, I have more bad news. After the Minnesota Gophers women's hockey team won the national championship on Sunday, the team was given hats with the men's Frozen Four logo on them. Former USA national team member, A.J. Mleczko Griswold posted a picture on Twitter of them.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

http://espn.go.com/espnw/culture/th...d-men-frozen-four-hats-winning-national-title

Go Gophers!!

Is it possible it was just an honest mistake and not some kind of message about women? I can't imagine someone would do that on purpose.

Is it possible it was just an honest mistake and not some kind of message about women? I can't imagine someone would do that on purpose.

its possible, but in todays PC world it was definitely on purpose and definitely with malicious intent

I thought the same thing. I don't like how this gets lumped in with the tennis moron saying patently offensive (and untrue) things about female tennis players. If the Big Ten and NCHC hockey championship hats had gotten mixed up, it would be laughed at as a stupid mistake with some lame jokes about how much better the NCHC hat is because the Big Ten is so week.

I thought the same thing. I don't like how this gets lumped in with the tennis moron saying patently offensive (and untrue) things about female tennis players. If the Big Ten and NCHC hockey championship hats had gotten mixed up, it would be laughed at as a stupid mistake with some lame jokes about how much better the NCHC hat is because the Big Ten is so week.

Well this is almost for sure an honest mistake, but the point is that little to no care is taken to check these things. Do you think there is 1 iota of a chance the NCAA basketball champ in men's basketball will get something that says Women's basketball? No chance. How hard is it to get the right hats sent to the right place? Since we know they do hats for both teams, wonder if the BC one's were right. Heck, I don't even know if its the NCAA or the schools that order these. Wonder who's screw up it is...

its possible, but in todays PC world it was definitely on purpose and definitely with malicious intent

BS... PC has nothing to do with it.

As a team ,and a player, you worked your arse off to accomplish that goal of a National Championship. It is just as insulting as having Minnesota spelled incorrectly on the hat. No it wasn't with malicious intent, but it is a slap in the face and shows a severe lack of attention that would never happen for the men's teams. So, is the NCAA having the correct hats made up for the team?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BS... PC has nothing to do with it.

As a team ,and a player, you worked your arse off to accomplish that goal of a National Championship. It is just as insulting as having Minnesota spelled incorrectly on the hat. No it wasn't with malicious intent, but it is a slap in the face and shows a severe lack of attention that would never happen for the men's teams. So, is the NCAA having the correct hats made up for the team?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

“We sincerely regret providing a championships hat with the men’s logo on the side panel to the University of Minnesota’s women’s ice hockey team on Sunday following its championship victory at the Women’s Frozen Four. This was inadvertent but should have been noticed and addressed. We are sending the Minnesota women’s ice hockey team new 2016 championship hats, which they have rightly earned. We apologize to the university, the athletics department and especially to the Golden Gophers championship women’s ice hockey student-athletes for this mistake.”

Big whoop. The wrong hats will be a great story and a funny and unique memento for them.

Big whoop. The wrong hats will be a great story and a funny and unique memento for them.

My thoughts as well. This isn't the first time wrong hats/t-shirts have been distributed to a team after winning a NCAA event. Yes, it shouldn't happen, but like most anything in today's right-now society it's being blown up into a full-fledged travesty.

per ESPN:

The NCAA's official supplier of championship headgear apologized Thursday for putting the wrong Frozen Four logos on caps given to Minnesota players after they won the ice hockey national championship on Sunday.

Scott Shuler, president of Top of the World headwear in Norman, Oklahoma, said the company was "extremely sorry" and "embarrassed" for the mix-up.

The caps distributed to Minnesota's players and coaches after their 3-1 victory over Boston College in Durham, New Hampshire, contained the men's Frozen Four logo on the side instead of the women's version. The two logos are similar in shape and color with slightly different wording; the men's says "Tampa Bay" and the women's says "Durham, N.H."

http://espn.go.com/espnw/sports/art...assed-extremely-sorry-women-frozen-four-error

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom