Explosive Powerplay Propels Michigan Over Gophers in B1G Title

Reaction score
Needing one win to hang another banner and keep their season alive, the Gophers fell to a talented Michigan team, 5-3. Minnesota entered the third with a lead but the Wolverines’ top scorers came through when it mattered, ending the Gophers’ season.

Notes and Quotes

Don Lucia

On the championship game:

“I'm just, I'm really proud of our guys from where we were back in October to what we became, they grew, they became a team, Big Ten champions, and tonight I thought that we played the type of game we needed to play.”

On Kyle Connor:

“I saw him play early last year in the USHL and there's a ball player. He's really talented. Did I think he would walk in and have the impact he's had? I don't know if you ever expect a freshman to come in and have the season he's had this year but he's with the right mix of players, too.”

On the highlight of the season:

“Winning the Big Ten title at home on senior night. You know, the seniors were all in the lineup. They all got into the game, and you know, that was a proud moment for me, because you know -- from the coaches, I've been doing it a long time, and I mean, I think that's -- been a part of 10 championships, league titles, and so it's more exciting for the guys that do it the first time.”

On the season as a whole:

We lost of some of those games early in the season we needed to have to win them later. And that's part of the growth process with a group of young men, and that's why I'm really happy and proud of that part of it, even though it's always -- it's always disappointing when you lose your -- you know you're not going to be playing next week, because this team is no longer. I mean, we'll have our banquet tomorrow, and then it disperses and the seniors are gone, and then you start to get ready for the following season.”

Justin Kloos

On the season:

“Obviously we’re a very prideful program and all of us know what our expectations exceed the community and the growth we showed from the first game against Vermont until now, I don't think anyone could argue, we're capable of still playing next week, and it's obviously frustrating right now and it really stinks.”

On the early season losses:

“We just let too many slip early on in the year. So it stings right now, those early ones that, you know, we had third period leads that kind of made the difference at the end. But, you know, that's hockey.”

Jake Bischoff

On the season:

“I think overall maybe just a little disappointed. I think we played our hearts out, but I think we had some opportunities that we sort of let go early in the season, especially for like the PairWise and stuff.”

On next year:

“Yes, I think we will be pretty intact. It's hard to tell right now exactly what will happen. But I think we'll have a good core group coming back for sure next year. And I'm looking forward to it.”

By the Numbers

17 Shot for Minnesota in the third period. It wasn’t for lack of effort or offense that the Gophers lost the lead late.

75 Percent on the powerplay for the Wolverines. Yikes.

8 Points in two games for Michigan’s first rounder, Kyle Connor.

What’s Next

The offseason. The Gophers played just two seniors on Saturday, both on the fourth line. If Minnesota can bring back their top scorers, it could be a fun year. The big question marks for me are Nick Seeler and Hudson Fasching jumping to the pros.

The Gophers have three defensemen committed for next year, so the staff might know that one of their current D might make the jump. I expect they’ll try to push one of these D to spend another year in juniors even if Seeler leaves. My hope is that Brodzinski or Bischoff stick around, but who knows. Need them on both ends of the ice.

Fasching is guy who is built for pro hockey, and the Sabres might want to get him in their system. It’d be a huge blow to lose his size and production. Only time will tell, though. Sometimes these things take awhile. I believe Nick Leddy made the decision to leave school in August, so things won’t be certain until the season starts again in October.

Our defense need to be more physical. On there first two goals, Michigan had a guy six inches from our goal getting multiple chances to walk away at the puck. Someone has to get in there and move him.

Our defense need to be more physical. On there first two goals, Michigan had a guy six inches from our goal getting multiple chances to walk away at the puck. Someone has to get in there and move him.

That was so frustrating to watch! It seemed like an eternity of Schierhorn trying to stop multiple rebounds on his own. And on their fourth goal the freshman phenom was left all alone 10 feet from the goal.

Tremendous defensive zone coverage on the tying goal. Did everyone else think the game was over when Glover took that dumb penalty in the third?

Top Bottom