Shooter: Todd Richards "is expected to be the top candidate" if U has coaching change

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Shooter: Todd Richards "is expected to be the top candidate" if U has coaching change

per Shooter:

If there’s a coaching change with the Gophers men’s hockey program, former Wild and Columbus coach Todd Richards, the ex-Gopher, is expected to be the top candidate. St. Cloud State’s Bob Motzko, Minnesota State Mankato’s Mike Hastings (whose team lost to Ferris State in the WCHA final Saturday night), Gophers assistant Mike Guentzel and Nebraska-Omaha’s Dean Blais also would get consideration.

http://www.twincities.com/2016/03/19/charley-walters-vikings-eyeing-pass-catchers-in-draft/

Go Gophers!!

Another underachieving year for the Gophers. Time to move on.

Blais is 65 yrs old, I don't want him

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Motzko is my guy....but the big 10 has no weight for the future. It may be a step down for him. Our offense went down after he left,

Blais is 65 yrs old, I don't want him

In addition to the ancient age of Blais, did anyone see the fall of UNO hockey this season? They were #1 at the start and they fell apart to say the least.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Good idea. Let's fire a guy who, in 17 seasons, has won 2 national championships, appeared in the NCAA championship game three times, appeared in five Frozen Fours, qualified for the NCAA tournament 12 times, won 7 conference championships, and won 3 conference tournament championships. Then, to ensure that we return to the greatness to which we are all entitled, let's replace him with a proven winner who was fired from two different jobs in seven years, never finished higher than third in his division, missed the playoffs in all but one season, and lost in the first round the one time he made them.

Two words for you guys who want Lucia gone: Frank Solich

Good idea. Let's fire a guy who, in 17 seasons, has won 2 national championships, appeared in the NCAA championship game three times, appeared in five Frozen Fours, qualified for the NCAA tournament 12 times, won 7 conference championships, and won 3 conference tournament championships. Then, to ensure that we return to the greatness to which we are all entitled, let's replace him with a proven winner who was fired from two different jobs in seven years, never finished higher than third in his division, missed the playoffs in all but one season, and lost in the first round the one time he made them.

Agreed. He goes when he wants to. I'd expect a serious look at Guentzel as replacement. He'd be my choice.

When they get around to hiring an AD in a couple years, then they can form another committee to look into it.

So what's our problem then? Why are we getting kicked in the butt by decent teams? Winning the Big Ten Conference isn't anything to celebrate about.

The national titles are nearly ancient history. It's a stretch to use them to support Lucia's future. They were completely embarrassed by BC in their other title appearance. I haven't lived in Minny for a while so don't get to see them regularly. From a somewhat outsider's perspective, it feels something needs to be done to revitalize this program. The games I've watched the team often seems uninspired. The fan base seems to be so as well based on attendance last night and at regular season games. When other D1 teams in the state appear to be surpassing the Gophers, that alone should be reason for concern. MN Gopher hockey is as close to a sure-fire powerhouse The U will ever have in any major sport. Given the current trend, something should be done to reinvigorate it. Is that firing Lucia? I'm not sure. But doing nothing will just add to the apathy.

So what's our problem then? Why are we getting kicked in the butt by decent teams? Winning the Big Ten Conference isn't anything to celebrate about.

That doesn't change the fact that hiring a proven loser to replace him would be a bad idea.

That doesn't change the fact that hiring a proven loser to replace him would be a bad idea.

Herb brooks wasn't exactly a winner in the NHL. Pete Carroll one could argue was the Todd Richards of the NFL before going to USC. Richards IMO got a raw deal in Minnesota, he had no talent and I would argue he would've done a better job then Yeo once Parise and Suter were here and the young guys were NHL ready. Richards getting axed was more about how inpatient Leopold is as an owner. As for Columbus any success in that dumpster fire of an organization is a minor miracle. Richards should be a candidate, the best players want to get to the NHL, Richards as a former head and assistant coach in the NHL and for the Olympic team knows what it takes to get to that level and that's something he can sell to players, along with being a former player. I also think we should be looking for guys that are young and hungry in the D1 ranks. I doubt Moztko would come here. Hastings maybe, but I'm not sold on him. Blais is too old and I think Guentzel is the type who can be a Lieutenant but not a general. he didn't have a whole lot of success when he left for four years

Lucia's success is a direct by product of the talent that comes to the U. People say he can be replaced because of the record and number of players in the NHL. It is just the opposite, his team typically under achieve, they should have had more accolades abased upon the imbalance in talent they have at the U. In recent years, Donny has missed out on the last 4 Mr hockey's in the state, so he recruiting has slipped. Guentzel is not the answer, his D are consistently out of position and get caught watching the puck.

It is time for Donny to take his place in the lore of former U coaches and let someone else bring a spark into the program. I am all for Motzko to take over at the U, he is young enough to run the program for another decade or so.

Kinda thought the spark was already on the bench; I've believed that when Lucia was done it would be Potulny's team.

heres a dumb thought, lets have brad frost move over to the mens team. Guy knows how to put together a run...

heres a dumb thought, lets have brad frost move over to the mens team. Guy knows how to put together a run...

He doesn't want to. He has said many times that he's happy with what he's doing. Much like Geno Auriemma will never go coach the UConn men's BB team.

He doesn't want to. He has said many times that he's happy with what he's doing. Much like Geno Auriemma will never go coach the UConn men's BB team.

Fair comparison, but the big difference is that Auriemma is making ~$2 MM/yr on his current deal. He would probably make more as a men's coach, but not substantially more when you consider that he wouldn't always have the far better team on the floor like he does now. As best I can tell, Frost is making ~$225 k/yr. Lucia makes almost twice that, and Frost would be in line for a significant pay raise (at least 50-75% if not more) if he decided to give the men's side a try.

Fair comparison, but the big difference is that Auriemma is making ~$2 MM/yr on his current deal. He would probably make more as a men's coach, but not substantially more when you consider that he wouldn't always have the far better team on the floor like he does now. As best I can tell, Frost is making ~$225 k/yr. Lucia makes almost twice that, and Frost would be in line for a significant pay raise (at least 50-75% if not more) if he decided to give the men's side a try.

Frost is doing a great job, but the woman's team has an even greater talent advantage than the men's. He has got a great gig and not everyone wants to deal with the pressures of the men's job, even if you make more money.

Top Bottom