Shama: Don Lucia Expecting Contract Talks

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Shama:

After this season Don Lucia has one year remaining on his contract as Gophers men’s hockey coach. He wants to continue indefinitely in the job he has held since 1999.

“Yeah, I would like to come back,” Lucia told Sports Headliners last week. “This is my 29th year as a head coach and I will be 58 this summer, but I still love what I do.”

If University of Minnesota officials don’t give Lucia a contract extension it will leave him in an awkward position this offseason and during the 2016-2017 schedule. Rival coaches can tell high school recruits the Gophers’ hockey future is in doubt. Minnesota’s assistant coaches and players will question the school’s commitment to the head coach.

Lucia doesn’t think that’s a direction he’s headed. “Yeah, I think after the season we’ll sit down and talk. We’ll see where the University is at and we’ll see where I am at, and what they want to do going forward.”

http://shamasportsheadliners.com/

Go Gophers!!

Don, maybe you could get a contract if you made the NCAA tournament...

Don may be waiting for a while and may then get a pink slip if we ever hire a new AD. Another underachieving year. Worst Division 1 hockey team in the state. Never thought I would ever say that!

I would be surprised if he is coach next season

Should have been fired 5 years ago!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I might have agreed with you five years ago when we were coming off of three missed NCAA tournaments, but then I would have missed out on the trip to the title game, the two Frozen Fours, and the five conference titles he won since then.

In the last 11 years the Gophers have won just 6 NCAA tourney games. 3 of those wins came in one year. The other 10 of the last 11 years, 3 wins. And people are ok with that. I guess the Gophers are just another D1 hockey team these days. Produce a butt load of pros, but rarely do anything in the NCAA tourney. Don't know how you defend that? Expectations should be much higher. Only incompetence at the AD level has allowed it to happen. And don't give me this conference champion b.s. The Big Ten is the worst conference in college hockey and least competitive. True competitors could care less about conference titles. Excellence is judged on a National stage. North Dakota in that same time frame, 17 wins.

In the last 11 years the Gophers have won just 6 NCAA tourney games. 3 of those wins came in one year. The other 10 of the last 11 years, 3 wins. And people are ok with that. I guess the Gophers are just another D1 hockey team these days. Produce a butt load of pros, but rarely do anything in the NCAA tourney. Don't know how you defend that? Expectations should be much higher. Only incompetence at the AD level has allowed it to happen. And don't give me this conference champion b.s. The Big Ten is the worst conference in college hockey and least competitive. True competitors could care less about conference titles. Excellence is judged on a National stage. North Dakota in that same time frame, 17 wins.

How many titles does North Dakota have in that time frame....

oh yeah thats right. 0

I knew you were an idiot...but when you say Dean Blais should have been hired....well thats just laughable.

You're kidding yourself if you think UND hasn't been a consistently better program for a long time now.

20 win seasons and NCAA appearances every year since 02-03. Gophers could match that from 00-01 to 06-07. But then...

Only five 20 win seasons and five NCAA appearances in the last nine seasons.

Top Bottom