Sid: How about Glen Mason as a candidate to be the Gophers’ AD?

How about Sid pick a horse already.

I wish someday we stop bringing up Mason for everything! Brewster vs kill vs mason! Mason for HC! Mason for AD! Mason for hockey HC! Mason for women's gymnastics! Mason for janitor! Mason Mason Mason!

I think Mason is happy doing what he is doing. He doesn't have the stomach to start all over with something like this.

I wish someday we stop bringing up Mason for everything! Brewster vs kill vs mason! Mason for HC! Mason for AD! Mason for hockey HC! Mason for women's gymnastics! Mason for janitor! Mason Mason Mason!

When you're feeling overly frustrated about something or someone, you should do what I do and write down all your complaints and place them inside a mason jar for another day. You'll be surprised at how many those jars you'll collect.

Side for AD! He's gonna live another 50 years anyway and it's about time he has a chance to put all those ideas of his into action.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Side for AD! He's gonna live another 50 years anyway and it's about time he has a chance to put all those ideas of his into action.

Sid.... damn phone autocorrrrect

You couldn't get a bigger homer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The athletic department is a dumpster fire.Why in the wide world of sports would he even take just a sniff at it? He has also been critical of Kaler on the AD situation. Mason has a great gig on the BTN, and he is one of best color guys on football games on any network. That being said, I'd take him back as a football coach in a heartbeat. With the new stadium/facilities etc. I think he would've been revitalized and bought in some 10 plus.win seasons.

I think Glen is happy doing what he's doing

Sure hire the former football coach who was fired for being complacent and some say lazy at doing his job and busy looking for better coaching jobs as the new AD :rolleyes:

The athletic department is a dumpster fire.Why in the wide world of sports would he even take just a sniff at it? He has also been critical of Kaler on the AD situation. Mason has a great gig on the BTN, and he is one of best color guys on football games on any network. That being said, I'd take him back as a football coach in a heartbeat. With the new stadium/facilities etc.<b> I think he would've been revitalized </b>and bought in some 10 plus.win seasons.

So, you basically acknowledge that he became complacent as coach, yet you would support taking him back (in a heartbeat) on the theory that he would have been re-motivated. You want(ed) a guy that you basically admit was sliding by on the hope he would be re-motivated? How long would this new motivation revitalize him until he started sliding again? You really need to set your sights and expectations higher than this.

So, you basically acknowledge that he became complacent as coach, yet you would support taking him back (in a heartbeat) on the theory that he would have been re-motivated. You want(ed) a guy that you basically admit was sliding by on the hope he would be re-motivated? How long would this new motivation revitalize him until he started sliding again? You really need to set your sights and expectations higher than this.
Maybe because I KNOW Glen and Kate Mason and the fact he absolutely did not get along with Maturi. Spoofin my good man.Mason was hired by Mark Dienhart ( I was at the pre-introduction Alumni function in Tonto Verde/Rio Verde, Arizona when he was introduced) He was assured at that time by Dienhart who he trusted the full support of the administration including the Prez. Dienhart got the shaft and Tom Moe was named in term AD. Mason really liked Moe. Moe being an ex Gopher football player knew what Mason needed to be successful. Mason lobbied hard for Moe to take the job, but at the time Moe was having some health issues and didn't want the job. Maturi never made football a priority. The bean counter syndrome he had kept the Gopher
ass't coaches one of lowest paid staffs in the Big Ten. Which led to him losing DC. Greg Hudson and David Gibbs.
Here's story you don't know Spoofin. To supplement the coaches salaries Mason would take the coaches and their families on a yearly vacation in the winter after the recruiting season. If he would've got half the support Country Jer.got from the administration I have no doubt he would still be coaching here. So yes, I would take him back.

Maybe because <b>I KNOW Glen and Kate Mason </b>and the fact he absolutely did not get along with Maturi. Spoofin my good man.Mason was hired by Mark Dienhart ( I was at the pre-introduction Alumni function in Tonto Verde/Rio Verde, Arizona when he was introduced) He was assured at that time by Dienhart who he trusted the full support of the administration including the Prez. Dienhart got the shaft and Tom Moe was named in term AD. Mason really liked Moe. Moe being an ex Gopher football player knew what Mason needed to be successful. Mason lobbied hard for Moe to take the job, but at the time Moe was having some health issues and didn't want the job. Maturi never made football a priority. The bean counter syndrome he had kept the Gopher
ass't coaches one of lowest paid staffs in the Big Ten. Which led to him losing DC. Greg Hudson and David Gibbs.
Here's story you don't know Spoofin. To supplement the coaches salaries Mason would take the coaches and their families on a yearly vacation in the winter after the recruiting season. If he would've got half the support Country Jer.got from the administration I have no doubt he would still be coaching here. So yes, I would take him back.

Fair enough that you know facts I don't. I simply found it odd for someone to admit a coach was sliding by and in the same post still want him back. Why would anyone want a slacker? I suspect your first sentence above explains why.

One has to wonder the long-term effects of beating ones head against a wall in terms of battling administration. Job satisfaction, even motivation might suffer. One might even threaten to leave for another opportunity. Mason did a lot with a little, and that's always impressive in my book.

It is possible to regain energy after a long, or short vacation. Then again, some lose the fire permanently. Particularly in administration positions, I've found...

The athletic department is a dumpster fire.Why in the wide world of sports would he even take just a sniff at it? He has also been critical of Kaler on the AD situation. Mason has a great gig on the BTN, and he is one of best color guys on football games on any network. That being said, I'd take him back as a football coach in a heartbeat. With the new stadium/facilities etc. I think he would've been revitalized and bought in some 10 plus.win seasons.

Why wouldn't we rehire Joel Maturi? Aren't we still paying him some $300,000+ / year? How about Tonya Moten Brown? How about Chris Voelz? So many wonderful choices.

Maybe because I KNOW Glen and Kate Mason and the fact he absolutely did not get along with Maturi. Spoofin my good man.Mason was hired by Mark Dienhart ( I was at the pre-introduction Alumni function in Tonto Verde/Rio Verde, Arizona when he was introduced) He was assured at that time by Dienhart who he trusted the full support of the administration including the Prez. Dienhart got the shaft and Tom Moe was named in term AD. Mason really liked Moe. Moe being an ex Gopher football player knew what Mason needed to be successful. Mason lobbied hard for Moe to take the job, but at the time Moe was having some health issues and didn't want the job. Maturi never made football a priority. The bean counter syndrome he had kept the Gopher

I remember well how people on this board mercilessly trashed David Lockwood, Glen's subsequent Defensive Coordinator, who was earning a salary of only $135,000 / year. Only after Glen was fired, and after Joel Maturi hired Tim Brewster, did our defensive coordinator salary start to reach a level commensurate with the rest of the Big Ten, or what used to be the Big Ten.

20 years as a head coach and two games over .500...mediocrity personified. Sign him up.

So many here have unrealistic expectations. Coaching matters. If you let your good coaches leave over money guess what happens.

What was our highest rank under Mason? Many, perhaps most fans want and crave a team that is respected nationally. How many "signature" wins? His teams were certainly "exciting" in more ways than one, offensively and defensively. If he could have retained good defensive coaches who knows what might have been.

We have many on here pining for an AD that has been at successful schools and knows what it takes to win. Well, Mason has been there, has a huge networking circle,and knows what it takes to win. I don't think he is a realistic candidate as he probably does not want the job. The trash talk does get old.

Let the trashing continue.

Was Mason one of Obama's candidates for the Supreme Court vacancy?

Seriously, it depends on what type of AD you want. Mason (if he wanted the job) could probably be a good front-man, fund-raiser type. I just don't see him wanting to deal with the day-to-day nitty-gritty of being the AD. I almost think the job needs to be split up into two separate positions: one for the administrative duties, and one for the fund-raising/face of the department duties.

One has to wonder the long-term effects of beating ones head against a wall in terms of battling administration. Job satisfaction, even motivation might suffer. One might even threaten to leave for another opportunity. Mason did a lot with a little, and that's always impressive in my book.

It is possible to regain energy after a long, or short vacation. Then again, some lose the fire permanently. Particularly in administration positions, I've found...

Very true!

Was Mason one of Obama's candidates for the Supreme Court vacancy?

Seriously, it depends on what type of AD you want. Mason (if he wanted the job) could probably be a good front-man, fund-raiser type. I just don't see him wanting to deal with the day-to-day nitty-gritty of being the AD. I almost think the job needs to be split up into two separate positions: one for the administrative duties, and one for the fund-raising/face of the department duties.
AND you would have to worry about him actively pursuing the Ohio State AD position. :)

Top Bottom