Sid: How about Glen Mason as a candidate to be the Gophers’ AD?

I wish someday we stop bringing up Mason for everything! Brewster vs kill vs mason! Mason for HC! Mason for AD! Mason for hockey HC! Mason for women's gymnastics! Mason for janitor! Mason Mason Mason!

by my count, that was 10 'Masons'..

32-48 in the Big Ten, never finished higher than a tie for fourth place, losing records against both rivals. At most schools such a record would make it difficult for you to continue to live in the state, at Minnesota your name gets brought up for the AD position.

With just one more bad year, Richard Pitino might have enough of a resume to get mentioned by a 106 year old Sid as an AD possibility after another near decade of futility in major sports.

Maybe because I KNOW Glen and Kate Mason and the fact he absolutely did not get along with Maturi. Spoofin my good man.Mason was hired by Mark Dienhart ( I was at the pre-introduction Alumni function in Tonto Verde/Rio Verde, Arizona when he was introduced) He was assured at that time by Dienhart who he trusted the full support of the administration including the Prez. Dienhart got the shaft and Tom Moe was named in term AD. Mason really liked Moe. Moe being an ex Gopher football player knew what Mason needed to be successful. Mason lobbied hard for Moe to take the job, but at the time Moe was having some health issues and didn't want the job. Maturi never made football a priority. The bean counter syndrome he had kept the Gopher
ass't coaches one of lowest paid staffs in the Big Ten. Which led to him losing DC. Greg Hudson and David Gibbs.
Here's story you don't know Spoofin. To supplement the coaches salaries Mason would take the coaches and their families on a yearly vacation in the winter after the recruiting season. If he would've got half the support Country Jer.got from the administration I have no doubt he would still be coaching here. So yes, I would take him back.

I'm not sure Mason could've dealt with five more years of Maturi. I was always curious about Mason's 07 class, he always says on Barriero he was really high on it. David Gilreth would've been a nice 1,2 combo with Decker and a great punt and kick returner. Obviously Greg Jones and J.J Watt would've been great on defense. I do know that when you don't like your boss, the longer you're in that partnership, the harder is to stay motivated, it sucks the life out of what you're doing. It's not that Mason intentionally stopped trying, it's mental at that point. With that said no body will feel sorry for you when you have a seven figure salary and a nice buy out.

Sure hire the former football coach who was fired for being complacent and some say lazy at doing his job and busy looking for better coaching jobs as the new AD :rolleyes:

Great comment. I agree. Chance that Mason is new Ad is less than 1%.

Mason isn't going to be our new AD. Sid sure loves his asinine, pipe dream, never going to happen suggestions. I'd love to have Tony Dungy to be our HC, but it'll never happen...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I'm not sure Mason could've dealt with five more years of Maturi. I was always curious about Mason's 07 class, he always says on Barriero he was really high on it. David Gilreth would've been a nice 1,2 combo with Decker and a great punt and kick returner. Obviously Greg Jones and J.J Watt would've been great on defense. I do know that when you don't like your boss, the longer you're in that partnership, the harder is to stay motivated, it sucks the life out of what you're doing. It's not that Mason intentionally stopped trying, it's mental at that point. With that said no body will feel sorry for you when you have a seven figure salary and a nice buy out.

Would've been great to have JJ Watt here as a DE, but he was recruited by Mason as a tight end.

Mason isn't going to be our new AD. Sid sure loves his asinine, pipe dream, never going to happen suggestions. I'd love to have Tony Dungy to be our HC, but it'll never happen...

What would make Tony a good AD. Great coach but does he have skills to be an AD. I doubt that those of us on this site have any idea what an AD's job is all about. We need a young person with great administrative skills that can form a strong team.

People act it was so easy to elevate the Gophers in the Big 10 during Mase tenure

32-48 in the Big Ten, never finished higher than a tie for fourth place, losing records against both rivals. At most schools such a record would make it difficult for you to continue to live in the state, at Minnesota your name gets brought up for the AD position.

With just one more bad year, Richard Pitino might have enough of a resume to get mentioned by a 106 year old Sid as an AD possibility after another near decade of futility in major sports.

Say what you will about tied for fourth place and losing records against both rivals and a 32-48 Big 10 record, but this is the coach that got us the closest to even sniffing a Big 10 title in 2003 and 2004 or 2005.
I remember those years quite well, and although many thumb their noses at them, those Gophers teams were quite competitive on the football field even with a shoddy defense in what was a really tough Big 10 conference with Wisconsin being running back U, Michigan still tough and Ohio State and Penn State as tough as anyone, and Northwestern and Purdue were having great success because they had great staffs that had great recruiters. I don't suggest mediocrity should be accepted, but most Gopher fans and even the Administration want GRAND success on a shoestring budget with limited financial support of the program. We do not have the Game day atmosphere or fan passion that most Big 10 fan bases have enjoyed for long periods, but we sure have a lot of people that thump their chest out and want BIG 10 CHAMPS.

The Gophers program changed defensive coaches during the Mason years like most people change underwear back then. The recruiting tents and the Metrodome were a joke compared to the rest of the Big 10 conference with the exception of maybe Indiana and Northwestern.
I specifically remember losing out on a top player like James Lauranitas once Greg Hudson left the program because of money. This might have happened either way but who is to know. We had some pretty good recruits on board until coach Mason got fired in 2007.
President Bruininks and AD Joel Maturi may have wanted more success for the Gopher football program but they did very little as far as financial support to the program, or improvement to facilities other than getting the State to take up the bonds for the new Stadium to make that championship aspirations happen. I'm not pro Mason for AD but I'm tired of the trash talk about him as football coach for the Gophers, he was a pretty damn good football coach, only Call Stoll dealt with less resources and did more with less. Yeah it wasn't a great run of success but it was sure a lot better than what we have had since then. Brewster debacle set us back a decade, well meaning and passion Brewster had, but he didn't have a clue how to put the right X and o's leaders on staff to build a successful program or recruit to a system that could win here. It's going to take getting incredibly lucky on some special types of athletes to elevate Minnesota and some luck to elevate this program to the top of the conference it just is. There must have been too much pride and success in the early years for this program to have the bad JUJU and to have fallen as hard as Gopher football program did down the ladder in the early 80's and 1990's.

I think Sid has a soft spot on his brain for losers. I have no such lesion on the brain and therefore can reasonably expect Mase will never be the next AD or the AD after that. I also predict confidently and with a great deal of sensitivity in my test analysis that Mitt Romney will also not be the next AD. Neither will D. Trump after he loses the election for dictator for life. I'm just saying there are those who may want such nasty characters to be the next AD.

Say what you will about tied for fourth place and losing records against both rivals and a 32-48 Big 10 record, but this is the coach that got us the closest to even sniffing a Big 10 title in 2003 and 2004 or 2005.
I remember those years quite well, and although many thumb their noses at them, those Gophers teams were quite competitive on the football field even with a shoddy defense in what was a really tough Big 10 conference with Wisconsin being running back U, Michigan still tough and Ohio State and Penn State as tough as anyone, and Northwestern and Purdue were having great success because they had great staffs that had great recruiters. I don't suggest mediocrity should be accepted, but most Gopher fans and even the Administration want GRAND success on a shoestring budget with limited financial support of the program. We do not have the Game day atmosphere or fan passion that most Big 10 fan bases have enjoyed for long periods, but we sure have a lot of people that thump their chest out and want BIG 10 CHAMPS.

The Gophers program changed defensive coaches during the Mason years like most people change underwear back then. The recruiting tents and the Metrodome were a joke compared to the rest of the Big 10 conference with the exception of maybe Indiana and Northwestern.
I specifically remember losing out on a top player like James Lauranitas once Greg Hudson left the program because of money. This might have happened either way but who is to know. We had some pretty good recruits on board until coach Mason got fired in 2007.
President Bruininks and AD Joel Maturi may have wanted more success for the Gopher football program but they did very little as far as financial support to the program, or improvement to facilities other than getting the State to take up the bonds for the new Stadium to make that championship aspirations happen. I'm not pro Mason for AD but I'm tired of the trash talk about him as football coach for the Gophers, he was a pretty damn good football coach, only Call Stoll dealt with less resources and did more with less. Yeah it wasn't a great run of success but it was sure a lot better than what we have had since then. Brewster debacle set us back a decade, well meaning and passion Brewster had, but he didn't have a clue how to put the right X and o's leaders on staff to build a successful program or recruit to a system that could win here. It's going to take getting incredibly lucky on some special types of athletes to elevate Minnesota and some luck to elevate this program to the top of the conference it just is. There must have been too much pride and success in the early years for this program to have the bad JUJU and to have fallen as hard as Gopher football program did down the ladder in the early 80's and 1990's.

It doesn't matter what you say and how often you say it. There are a larger number of Gopher fans who were very happy when Mason was fired. Along with his team's substandard performance and getting worse by the year recruiting (even by Mason's standards) in 2004, 2005, and 2006, he had alienated students, alumni, season ticket holders, high school coaches and even his own bosses. It was extremely clear to most fans that Mason no longer believed (if he ever did) that the Gophers would ever be able to compete for a Big 10 Championship. It was high time for him to go and there is absolutely no reason to bring back him or anyone else who has reached retirement age.

What would make Tony a good AD. Great coach but does he have skills to be an AD. I doubt that those of us on this site have any idea what an AD's job is all about. We need a young person with great administrative skills that can form a strong team.
Is said I'd like Dungy to be HC, never AD. I don't have any idea if he'd be a good AD.

I doubt that those of us on this site have any idea what an AD's job is all about. We need a young person with great administrative skills that can form a strong team.

I love that you say those of us on this site don't know what the ADs job is about, and then in the very next sentence tell us what it is all about.

We need an aggressive schmoozer who can coax donations from rich people and get the administration to put more funding and easier admittance to the athletic department.

Bernie Madoff would be perfect.

I love that you say those of us on this site don't know what the ADs job is about, and then in the very next sentence tell us what it is all about.

Perhaps he was thinking of you who seems to need to comment on every thing.:rolleyes:

We need an aggressive schmoozer who can coax donations from rich people and get the administration to put more funding and easier admittance to the athletic department.

Bernie Madoff would be perfect.
What's Jordan Belfort doing these days?

I make about ten comments a month. Sorry if that to much. I will try to cut back to once or twice a month. Thanks for your suggestion.

Perhaps he was thinking of you who seems to need to comment on every thing.:rolleyes:

Pot meet kettle. And the real shocker you follow your post with the same emoji you use for virtually every post.

It doesn't matter what you say and how often you say it. There are a larger number of Gopher fans who were very happy when Mason was fired. Along with his team's substandard performance and getting worse by the year recruiting (even by Mason's standards) in 2004, 2005, and 2006, he had alienated students, alumni, season ticket holders, high school coaches and even his own bosses. It was extremely clear to most fans that Mason no longer believed (if he ever did) that the Gophers would ever be able to compete for a Big 10 Championship. It was high time for him to go and there is absolutely no reason to bring back him or anyone else who has reached retirement age.

And how did that work out for us?

People often make this mistake. Just because Brewster was a terrible hire, that doesn't mean firing Mason was wrong. Firing Mason was right. Hiring Brewster was wrong. That simple.

People often make this mistake. Just because Brewster was a terrible hire, that doesn't mean firing Mason was wrong. Firing Mason was right. Hiring Brewster was wrong. That simple.

So much this. Firing the Patron Saint of Mediocrity was the right thing to do. This thread can now be closed.

So if you're an employer, you hang on to bad employees because there is a chance the replacement hire could be even worse?

"Well Joe, you're late for work about once a week but we're going to hang onto you because there is a chance the guy we would replace you with could average being late twice a week."

Yes, and our football program has elevated way above what Mason gave us. We were all just giddy to play in Detroit this past winter.

Yes, and our football program has elevated way above what Mason gave us. We were all just giddy to play in Detroit this past winter.

Again, how does what has happened since impact whether firing Mason was right/wrong?

If you want to go that way, why not talk Jan 1 game instead of Detroit? Truth is that neither is a indictment on the Mason firing. Brewster's (lack of) success does not make firing Mason wrong - it just means hiring Brewster was wrong. Not that hard.

Did Mason have the institutional support necessary to be a consistently above average team? The casual observers (former P5 and NFL head coaches) I'm acquaintances with did not seem to think so. These conversations happened around 2006-2008 during the transition years) What has changed to make Minnesota capable of being aconsistently above average team and help the coaches out? (Rhetorical question). How can MN attract and keep top talent?

If the premise is Kill didn't elevate the program way above Mase, then at worst, their results were equal. So it's like we never fired Mason (what would Mase's salary be entering season 20?)

Top Bottom