WBB: NCAA Tournament 2016

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/tournament/bracket

B1G teams in the tournament:

Maryland (2), Ohio State (3), Michigan State (4), Indiana (9), Purdue (11): I congratulate the committee for choosing the Bonnies over the Hawkeyes.

Maryland and Ohio State will host first and second rounds. Michigan State, because of scheduling conflict, cannot host and must travel to Starksville, Mississippi.

In the Lexington Regional (Notre Dame with the 1 seed).

(2) Maryland (hosting) plays (15) Iona. The winner plays either (7) Washington or (10) Penn.
(11) Purdue plays (6) Oklahoma. The winner plays either (3) Kentucky (hosting) or (14) UNC Asheville.
(9) Indiana plays (8) Georgia. The winner plays either (1) Notre Dame (hosting) or (16) U North Carolina A&T.

In the Sioux Falls Regional (South Carolina with the 1 seed)

(3) Ohio State (hosting) plays (14) Buffalo (coached by former Hoosier coach, Felisha Legette-Jack). The winner plays either (6) West Virginia or (11) Princeton.

In the Bridgeport Regional (UConn with the 1 seed).

(4) Michigan State plays (13) Belmont. The winner players either (5) Mississippi State (hosting) or (12) Chattanooga.

So Michigan State got the short end of the stick this year. No chance for the Final 4. In UConn's bracket.

That's gotta' suck every year for the other 15 teams in UConn's bracket. They know they have no chance for the Final 4 before the tournament even starts.

So Michigan State got the short end of the stick this year. No chance for the Final 4. In UConn's bracket.

That's gotta' suck every year for the other 15 teams in UConn's bracket. They know they have no chance for the Final 4 before the tournament even starts.

Reminds me of the UCLA reign under Wooton

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-b...-florida-gators-game-ends-wrong-score-mistake

To pull off the 61-59 upset, 12 seed Albany not only had to defeat the Florida Gators the Great Danes had to overcome some terribly sloppy scorekeeping.

The NCAA issued a statement after the game.

The final official score of the Albany-Florida game remains 61-59 based on the final progressive team totals of the official scorebook, even though final statistics indicate 61-58," the statement said. "The mistake was made by the official scorer in awarding a free throw to Florida that did not occur. 2016-17 NCAA Women's Basketball Rules (Rule 2, Section 9, Article 12) states that "referee shall accept the record of the official scorebook, unless the referee has knowledge that permits another decision. When the discrepancy is in the score and the error is not resolved, the referee shall accept the progressive team totals of the official scorebook.

"The score remains 61-59 because Rule 2-4.3 states: "When all three officials leave the visual confines of the playing area at the end of the game, the officials' jurisdiction has ended and the score has been approved."

Albany coach Katie Abrahamson-Henderson told The Associated Press following the game that her coaches raised questions at halftime over whether Florida was given an extra point.

"We were saying it, and then nobody ever listens," Abrahamson-Henderson said. "It doesn't matter, we won."

SDSU With the upset over 5 seed Miami. Plenty of Minnesotans on the roster.

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-b...-florida-gators-game-ends-wrong-score-mistake

To pull off the 61-59 upset, 12 seed Albany not only had to defeat the Florida Gators the Great Danes had to overcome some terribly sloppy scorekeeping.

The NCAA issued a statement after the game.

The final official score of the Albany-Florida game remains 61-59 based on the final progressive team totals of the official scorebook, even though final statistics indicate 61-58," the statement said. "The mistake was made by the official scorer in awarding a free throw to Florida that did not occur. 2016-17 NCAA Women's Basketball Rules (Rule 2, Section 9, Article 12) states that "referee shall accept the record of the official scorebook, unless the referee has knowledge that permits another decision. When the discrepancy is in the score and the error is not resolved, the referee shall accept the progressive team totals of the official scorebook.

"The score remains 61-59 because Rule 2-4.3 states: "When all three officials leave the visual confines of the playing area at the end of the game, the officials' jurisdiction has ended and the score has been approved."

Albany coach Katie Abrahamson-Henderson told The Associated Press following the game that her coaches raised questions at halftime over whether Florida was given an extra point.

"We were saying it, and then nobody ever listens," Abrahamson-Henderson said. "It doesn't matter, we won."

Another 12 seed falls as SDSU beats Miami. I wish we would have landed Madison Guebert as she would have been a great compliment to Wagner. Anyone know how hard Stollings went after her ? We need to lock down our borders and keep these talented players home.

Another 12 seed falls as SDSU beats Miami. I wish we would have landed Madison Guebert as she would have been a great compliment to Wagner. Anyone know how hard Stollings went after her ? We need to lock down our borders and keep these talented players home.

According to this article Guebert committed in June 2014. That would be shortly after Stollings was hired.

http://espn.go.com/espnw/news-comme...meet-madison-guebert-sweet-shooter-sour-taste

SDSU tried to give the game away with 22 turnovers and 16-27 free throw shooting; but their offense kept Miami off balance most of the game.

Eastview's Guebert, 2015 Miss Minnesota Basketball, had a great game -- 19 points.. I heard one of the announcers comment that SDSU's turnovers -- typically not a problem for the Jackrabbits -- may be a tourney record for a winning team. The Jacks were clearly a better team than Miami but we tried hard to keep them in the game by handing them the ball a lot. There are 6 Minnesotans on the SDSU roster plus one transfer who will play next year (compared to four South Dakotans on this year's squad).

A decent first round for the B1G:
Purdue was the only team which couldn't get out of it's way falling 61-45 to 6 seed Oklahoma.

On Friday, Michigan State battled past Belmont 74-60 and Ohio State made quick work of Buffalo 88-69.

Today, Maryland eased by Iona 74-58 and Indiana emerged with a physical win over Georgia. Tyra Buss scored 23 and collected her usual assortment of bumps and bruises.

Ohio State is on to the Sweet 16 after beating West Virginia 88-81. Kelsey Mitchell had 45 points - 4th most in an NCAA Tourney game. They'll meet the winner of tonight's Tennessee/Arizona State game in Sioux Falls on Friday.

Meanwhile, Michigan State really wishes they hadn't double-booked their arena. They just barely lost on lower-seeded Mississippi State's home floor. Aerial Powers is eligible to declare for the WNBA draft, so it could be her last game as a Spartan.

And then only the Buckeyes remained.

Indiana put up a fight into the fourth quarter but went down at Notre Dame 87-70.

2 seed Maryland lost at home to Kelsey Plum's 7th seeded Washington Huskies 74-65. The Huskies play six players including 6'2" Chantel Osahor who controlled the paint. Osahor's wide range of talents (rebounding and passing) include a trademark set shot unseen in basketballs many decades (I think I'm only slightly exaggerating). Anyway, the Terp's quickly exited stage right leaving Washington to celebrate an East Coast win.

I do not feel too bad for Brenda and the Terrapins. She spends most of the game yelling at the refs and the rest of it yelling at her players. Rebecca Lobos comment " Osahor is very effective even though she does not leave the floor on her shot. I mean she literally does not jump" Also, Washington only plays 6 and they managed to play good defense. Really bothers me we beat OSU and did not make the big dance.

In Maples, on a three point play with 8 seconds remaining, Stanford finally wrested the lead away from South Dakota State. The Cardinal withstood a final Jackrabbit flurry to win 66-65. Stanford's 10-22 foul shooting allowed the Jacks to open an 8 point lead with four minutes remaining before Stanford staggered back to the Sweet Sixteen.

In the Sioux Falls Regional, at T Denny's place, Ohio State will face Tennessee without the services of starter Cait Craft:

Senior guard Cait Craft suffered a broken left hand in practice Tuesday, which ended her Ohio State women’s basketball career before the team’s NCAA Tournament game against Tennessee on Friday in Sioux Falls, South Dakota.

“Freak thing,” coach Kevin McGuff said. “I really feel badly for her. She is such a great kid, and as a senior she’s put so much into getting us to this point it’s really disappointing for her that she can’t play."

http://buckeyextra.dispatch.com/content/stories/2016/03/25/0325-cait-craft-out-of-ncaa-tourney.html

The winner faces the winner of #1 seed South Carolina versus #4 seed Syracuse.

Well the oft-predictable women's tournament is anything but tonight. The first 2 Sweet 16 games were upsets and the two in progress now have the under dog leading.

#7 Washington won at #3 Kentucky 85-72.
#4 Stanford is up on #1 Notre Dame 50-39 at halftime.

#4 Syracuse shocked #1 South Carolina 80-72 in Sioux Falls for their first ever Elite 8 berth.
#7 Tennessee is up on #3 Ohio State 43-35 at halftime.

Well the oft-predictable women's tournament is anything but tonight. The first 2 Sweet 16 games were upsets and the two in progress now have the under dog leading.

#7 Washington won at #3 Kentucky 85-72.
#4 Stanford is up on #1 Notre Dame 50-39 at halftime.

#4 Syracuse shocked #1 South Carolina 80-72 in Sioux Falls for their first ever Elite 8 berth.
#7 Tennessee is up on #3 Ohio State 43-35 at halftime.

This has been a fun night. Washington was fun to watch with the bonus of seeing Kentucky lose. The Buckeyes look lost.

Unlike the men's chalk fest (no teams in dark jerseys won on Thursday or Friday), 4 upsets on Friday.

Who would love to see the impossible today, a UConn loss!!!!

Who would love to see the impossible today, a UConn loss!!!!

Me!!! Today, however, even though it was close at the half (UConn led 61-12), the Huskies pulled it out in record breaking fashion, 98-38. When I first checked in, it was 30-4. So maybe next game.

Me!!! Today, however, even though it was close at the half (UConn led 61-12), the Huskies pulled it out in record breaking fashion, 98-38. When I first checked in, it was 30-4. So maybe next game.

I also would love to see UConn lose but it will take a perfect game by their opponent in addition to a poor performance by them. That is why I did not buy tickets this year because it is not very interesting when the outcome is predictable. Sadly, Geno is right when he says if they play their game nobody can beat them. Baylor is looking good today but I do not think they have the depth to beat UConn.

I also would love to see UConn lose but it will take a perfect game by their opponent in addition to a poor performance by them. That is why I did not buy tickets this year because it is not very interesting when the outcome is predictable. Sadly, Geno is right when he says if they play their game nobody can beat them. Baylor is looking good today but I do not think they have the depth to beat UConn.

Is it time to shuffle the scholarships for women's sports?

Maybe move 2 scholarships from basketball to another sport?

Sadly, Geno is right when he says if they play their game nobody can beat them. Baylor is looking good today but I do not think they have the depth to beat UConn.

I have to admit; if it's Geno versus Kim Mulkey-I want Geno to win.

Is it time to shuffle the scholarships for women's sports?

Maybe move 2 scholarships from basketball to another sport?

It's been much suggested; but I'm not sure how that helps anyone. (In fact, I assume it makes basketball less attractive to dedicated players). And, it's not as if UConn piles up talent. Geno has a pretty short bench and I think, usually, a fairly small roster. He just simply recruits the best player in the country and develops her game.

It's been much suggested; but I'm not sure how that helps anyone. (In fact, I assume it makes basketball less attractive to dedicated players). And, it's not as if UConn piles up talent. Geno has a pretty short bench and I think, usually, a fairly small roster. He just simply recruits the best player in the country and develops her game.
You don't think he piles up talent? Four of his five starters were high school All-Americans and the other would have been one if she weren't Canadian. And he has two more All-Americans who mostly ride the bench.

You don't think he piles up talent? Four of his five starters were high school All-Americans and the other would have been one if she weren't Canadian. And he has two more All-Americans who mostly ride the bench.

Two points (thinly sourced I admit):

1) Reducing scholarships from 15 to 13: I didn’t explain this well. But, I doubt the reduction of scholarships would impact Geno or do much to aid talent distribution. This year, UConn had 12 players (they had 13 until Boykin’s mid-season transfer). I remember UConn’s 2014 championship team having 11 players-two of whom were walk-ons.

In Val Ackerman’s screed proposing to change basketball to something unrecognizable (a slight exaggeration), the proposed basketball scholarship reduction was simply a practical one. It acknowledged that some teams don’t award all the scholarships. However, the scholarships must be added to another women’s sport. Doing so would obviously reduce basketball opportunities while adding some (possibly) unwanted expenses to another sport.

2) Stockpiling talent: I don’t think the talent on the UConn bench is keeping Baylor, South Carolina, Notre Dame, Maryland et al. from winning national championships. I admit to not being knowledgeable about high school All-Americans. However, UConn players do transfer and we can judge their post UConn performance. They aren’t all Breanna Stewarts.

Michala Johnson played two years at UConn before transferring to the Badgers. Johnson was a very solid performer with the Badgers but not a game changer.

Brianna Banks, a McDonald’s All-American, played three years at UConn before finishing this year with Penn State (the same school UConn’s De’Janae Boykin transferred to this season). Banks had a very good season; but it wasn’t as good as Banham or Mitchell.

Lauren Engelin played two years at UConn with Michala Johnson before transferring to Boston College. Again, a solid player but not a game changer.

Sadie Edwards, a McDonald’s All-American played one year at UConn and scored 5 points. She transferred to Southern Cal last season so we don’t know how she’ll play when eligible.

Washington defeats Stanford 85-76 and advances to the final four. Washington is the lowest seed to advance to the finals since Minnesota in 2004. Like the Huskies, the Gophers were also a 7 seed.

Washington defeats Stanford 85-76 and advances to the final four. Washington is the lowest seed to advance to the finals since Minnesota in 2004. Like the Huskies, the Gophers were also a 7 seed.

Have to agree that Kim Mulkey is like an angry Chihuahua and never saw a fair foul called against her team. She just threw her jacket, again, and they should kick her out for the non-stop complaining. However Geno is arrogant, defensive and compared his teams dominance to Tiger Woods. The differences are obvious and many, team vs individual, pro vs amateur, Tiger lost more tourneys and majors and he did not always blow out his opponents. Geno relishes being a big fish in a small pond and until there is more parity it will detract from the game.

Have to agree that Kim Mulkey is like an angry Chihuahua and never saw a fair foul called against her team. She just threw her jacket, again, and they should kick her out for the non-stop complaining.

Perfect ending for a fun elite 8 weekend (excepting that Geno fella). Thanks to Syracuse, Washington and especially to Oregon State for prodding out Mulkey's crazed obnoxious antics and sending them back to Waco.

Top Bottom