3 STRAIGHT BIG TEN TITLES!!!

Stan

Reaction score
5 STRAIGHT CONFERENCE TITLES!!! Only second team in college hockey to win 5 straight conference titles. Lucia gets results.

I have stood behind the Don from day one! This team is young and they will be a team to reckon with next year!

Can the Gophers please wear their gold uniforms again for both games next weekend? They always seem to win when they wear those. Also right after a score is the most dangerous time and other teams usually seem to score a lot after a team scores a goal. It would be sweet if the Gophers win next weekend and play Nodak in this first round of the NCAA tournament. Please read this Don and use the Gold uniforms. Great job tonight Gophers!

Can the Gophers please wear their gold uniforms again for both games next weekend? They always seem to win when they wear those. Also right after a score is the most dangerous time and other teams usually seem to score a lot after a team scores a goal. It would be sweet if the Gophers win next weekend and play Nodak in this first round of the NCAA tournament. Please read this Don and use the Gold uniforms. Great job tonight Gophers!
Plus, the gold ones look sharp.

One banner going up. Better focus boys because you have another one to hang if you wanna get to the NCAA's. Couldn't have picked a better game to go to for the first time in quite a while. Gophers came out of the locker room and played like their hair was on fire. If they can play like that in St. Paul, I think they have a very good shot at beating Michigan, assuming we play them.

Since Stan already started this fantastic thread, I'll just post some quotes and notes in here.

Don Lucia
“Nothing comes easy for us and that’s just the way it is. There was a little more sellout tonight. Like last year, it came down to the final game and we got it done. When the year began, who would have thought we’d be sitting here today with another Big Ten title. It’s hard to do. It’s hard to win the regular-season title so for our guys to do it again, the first three times in the Big Ten, I’m awfully proud and happy for our kids.”

On what five-straight conference titles means to him:
“It’s a consistency factor, when it’s all said and done. It’s not a weekend tournament. It’s not a two-week tournament. It’s over the course of a long season. Every year it’s come down to the final weekend. It’s only fitting the way the year has gone for us; we have a chance on Friday and we don’t capitalize. With this group, it’s seems like every time our backs are against the wall they find a way. Our best players we’re our best players tonight, that’s what has to happen this time of year.”

Leon Bristedt

On winning another Big Ten title:
“Every year you want to win one. You can never get enough of it. It’s what we’re here for. It’s what this program is about. Every time, it’s a great feeling.”

Hudson Fasching
On winning another Big Ten title:
“It’s awesome. It’s tremendous. It’s a goal we set every year. It wasn’t necessarily for certain this year, we had our ups and downs, we battled hard. It feels that much better because we worked so hard for it.”

By the Numbers
5 Straight regular-season conference titles for the Gophers, including three in the Big Ten. Minnesota is only the second school to accomplish that feat, Boston University is the other.

19 Wins on the season for goalie Eric Schierhorn, which leads the nation for a freshman. After allowing an early breakaway goal, Schierhon shut the door the rest of the way stopping 34 of 35 shots.

3 Seniors played their final home game in the maroon and gold: A.J. Michaelson, Ryan Reilly, and Ryan Coyne. Thanks, seniors!

14 Conference wins for the Gophers, which ties the Big Ten record they set last season.

Three Stars
3 – Hudson Fasching scored his 20th goal of the season and assisted on another. He accounted for nine total shots on goal.

2 – Leon Bristedt scored goals 18 and 19 on the season. The Swede also notched an assist.

1 – Justin Kloos scored a goal and added two assists.

What’s Next
The Gophers head to Xcel Energy Center for the Big Ten tournament. Minnesota will open play on Friday at 7:30 p.m. against the winner of Thursday’s quarterfinal game between Michigan State and Ohio State.

5 STRAIGHT CONFERENCE TITLES!!! Only second team in college hockey to win 5 straight conference titles. Lucia gets results.

It's always fun seeing Nate Schmidt's game winner on the video screen-even if TV didn't fully capture the play's lightening bolt brilliance. Fortunately some fan's handheld cameras did.

It's always fun seeing Nate Schmidt's game winner on the video screen-even if TV didn't fully capture the play's lightening bolt brilliance. Fortunately some fan's handheld cameras did.

I was lucky enough to be at that game. Absolutely incredible play that still gives me goosebumps when I see a replay.

I was lucky enough to be at that game. Absolutely incredible play that still gives me goosebumps when I see a replay.

Ditto the goosebumps both at Mariucci and in replay. It was one of my favorite Badger/Gopher endings.

For me, it was a Badger/Gopher finish perhaps only topped by a game at the old Mariucci. With 10 seconds remaining in a (then) 10 minute overtime, Cory Millen, following a shot from inside the blue line, raced to the net and poked the puck from under goalie’s Mike Richter’s (?) glove into the goal. Referee Medo Martinello signaled good and all hell broke loose.

About half the irate Badgers immediately backed Medo into the corner against the glass for a one sided discussion on the puck being frozen. The other Badgers freelanced around the rink breaking sticks on the cross bar and the boards much to the delight of the Gopher fans. The goal added insult to injury as Pat Micheletti's tying goal came on a hotly disputed power play with 42 seconds left in regulation.

Thanks for the quotes Travis. Good stuff.

Lucia took a lot of heat but he got his 5th banner in a row.

Ditto the goosebumps both at Mariucci and in replay. It was one of my favorite Badger/Gopher endings.

For me, it was a Badger/Gopher finish perhaps only topped by a game at the old Mariucci. With 10 seconds remaining in a (then) 10 minute overtime, Cory Millen, following a shot from inside the blue line, raced to the net and poked the puck from under goalie’s Mike Richter’s (?) glove into the goal. Referee Medo Martinello signaled good and all hell broke loose.

About half the irate Badgers immediately backed Medo into the corner against the glass for a one sided discussion on the puck being frozen. The other Badgers freelanced around the rink breaking sticks on the cross bar and the boards much to the delight of the Gopher fans. The goal added insult to injury as Pat Micheletti's tying goal came on a hotly disputed power play with 42 seconds left in regulation.

Me and my brother, to the day, still pick on Martinello. He was the worst reef ever to do hockey. The way he raised his arm only halfway up on a penalty call to all the students holding 20 dollar bills over the glass for him. Good times. And one last time: NE!

I feel like only the first 2 and the last 1 count. Should we really be struggling to win the B1G Hockey title?

I feel like only the first 2 and the last 1 count. Should we really be struggling to win the B1G Hockey title?

Couldn't agree more. Have we really lowered the bar on Gopher hockey expectations?

With the tradition programs like Minnesota, Wisconsin, Sparty and Michigan have and the resources Penn State seems to be putting into having a quality program, a Big Ten title should mean more. We just won a regular were still fighting for our post season lives this weekend. With the resources these schools have this should be a three bid league, not one

Wisky is terrible. What happened to them?

I mean Michigan is a pretty good program historically and should've dominated the B10 this year as they're clearly the best team. IF they'd ever figure out to play some semblance of defense, they would have won the B10 running away with it. Instead the Gophers got it done. The bar should be making the NCAA tourney every year. Missing, to me, is really not acceptable at a place like the U. Adding banners is just extra icing if you make the tourney.

Top Bottom