Gophers' Rally Falls Just Short on Friday

Reaction score
It looked like the Gophers mounted an incredible comeback late in the third, but a disallowed goal took the air out of Mariucci Arena Friday night. Minnesota was inches from forcing overtime, instead falling to Wisconsin, 4-3.

Close Call

When Wisconsin scored an empty-netter late in Friday’s game, it looked like the Gophers were going to go quietly. Not long after, Tommy Novak scored to put Minnesota within one. With 12 seconds left and trailing by a goal, Hudson Fasching sped into the zone and fed a wide open Novak for what looked like the tying goal with just five seconds on the clock.

“Fasching went down the left side battling and chipped it right to me for the open net,” said Novak.

The refs went to the box to review the tally and ruled that Vinni Lettieri was offside as Fasching entered the zone.

“I give our guys credit for pushing right until the very end,” said Don Lucia. “You think you have that goal to tie it and send it into overtime but it’s kind of the way it’s been for us this year.”

Slow Start

The Gophers had a couple good looks early but struggled to gain momentum in the opening 20 minutes.

“We needed to work a little bit harder at the beginning of the game, especially that first period,” said Novak. “It took us a little bit to get our offense going.”

Lucia isn’t known for his Herb Brooks-like quips, but he had a pretty good one about the Gophers slow start on Friday.

“The first period we couldn’t see the forest through the trees,” said Lucia. “You want the prize but we didn’t play well enough. I don’t know if we were tight to start the game, but we didn’t get much flow going through the first period.”

Ending the Season

Tomorrow marks the last game of the regular season for the Gophers. Unfortunately, the loss on Friday made it almost impossible for Minnesota to make the NCAA Tournament without winning the Big Ten Tournament in a week.

“I felt going in that if we had a good weekend, it might give us a chance,” said Lucia. “I’m sure, for us, we’ll have to win next weekend.”

There’s still plenty to play for on Saturday. If the Gophers win in regulation, they clinch their fifth-straight regular season conference title.

“We have a chance to win it tomorrow so we can come back and make up for it,” said Novak.

By the Numbers

9 Shot differential in the first period as Wisconsin put up 13 to Minnesota’s four.

2 Powerplay opportunities for the Gophers as the Badgers worked to stay out of the box.

18 Blocked shots for Wisconsin who got in shooting lanes all night.

What’s Next

The Gophers will look to split the series and take home a conference title tomorrow evening. Puck drop is set for 7:03 and will be televised on BTN.

What was so confusing to the Gophers about the Badger 1-3-1 power play? And damn that was one strange two minute stretch. Anyway, a few of us got to celebrate like it was last season's Michigan/Minnesota football game before reality slapped back.

It's one thing to lack flow; but can we just stop setting up opposing players for one-on-ones against Schierhorn?

Top Bottom