2016 College Basketball Player Transfer Thread

BleedGopher

Reaction score
I imagine the 400+ transfers a year will start to heat up in the next week.

Go Gophers!!

per CBS:

For the last three years, High Point's John Brown has been the best player in the Big South. With Brown graduating this season, it seemed like the void for the best player in the league would be filled by DeSean Murray at Presbyterian, a 6-foot-5 forward who averaged 20.7 points and 7.4 rebounds per game for the Blue Hose with a 31.3 PER.

That won't be the case though, as Murray has decided to transfer.

"I really just want to get some bigger schools and looks," Murray told CBS Sports. "To play better competition and make myself better so that I can reach my full potential."

Murray said that Creighton, Florida Gulf Coast and College of Charleston have already reached out to him, and that many others have reached out to his coaches. He also said that prior to the official decision, he looked at schools in the Big Ten as places that could really utilize him well, pointing to the way Ohio State uses Jae'Sean Tate as an example.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebas...n-big-south-announces-he-is-going-to-transfer

Go Gophers!!

A grad transfer with two years eligibility left. Per ESPN:

New Mexico redshirt sophomore guard Cullen Neal will transfer from the school after playing for his father, Craig Neal, the past two seasons, the Lobos coach told ESPN.com on Sunday night.

Cullen Neal will graduate in the spring and have two seasons of eligibility remaining. Craig Neal said he had no idea where Cullen would play next season; Cullen will be able to play immediately under the graduate transfer rule.

Neal had a difficult time playing for the Lobos, battling multiple injuries, including a ruptured appendix before his freshman year in August 2013 while on a trip to Australia. Neal's erratic play at times led him to be the subject of criticism of the team, to the point that Craig Neal said during a news conference last month that there had been threats made against his son.

Craig Neal said the "death threats" forced Cullen Neal to change his phone number twice and close his Facebook and Twitter pages.

Neal averaged 12.3 points and 3.7 assists per game and shot 35 percent from the field. He had almost as many turnovers (101) as assists (114) this season.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...-mexico-lobos-leaving-coach-father-craig-neal

Go Gophers!!

"death threats"...C'mon kid if you can't handle death threats after playing subpar basketball in college how are you going to handle the real world???

I can't even fathom being in a state of mind where I consider threatening death upon a player on my favorite team. Did I want to kick Joey King in the teeth when he couldn't grab a rebound or get a shot after one of his patented terrible pump-fakes? You bet. Do I want to kick all the UNC guys in the crotch when they decide to blow a game against Duke in the final 5 minutes? Absolutely. But you know what happens? I lay down, I throw on Netflix, and I go to sleep.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Go Gophers!!

Arizona State's Savon Goodman available via graduate transfer

6-6 forward, averaged 9.6 ppg, 6.4 rpg.

Go Gophers!!

How many kids does Rick Barry have? And the age range? Has to be at least 10, and it seems like everyone of his sons is/was a good basketball player.

6-6 forward, averaged 9.6 ppg, 6.4 rpg.

Doesn't look like a guy we would have as high priority. With Murphy and Fitz (and maybe even Coffey), that tweener forward slot looks strong. Bring us a shooting guard or a beefy power forward, please (if we have a scholarship available).

How many kids does Rick Barry have? And the age range? Has to be at least 10, and it seems like everyone of his sons is/was a good basketball player.

He has four sons with his first wife Pam: Scooter, Jon, Brent and Drew, all of whom were professional basketball players. He has one daughter, Shannon. He also has a son named Canyon with his third wife, Lynn Barry. Canyon plays for the College of Charleston Cougars men's basketball team.

Cullen Neal leaving New Mexico, where his dad is head coach

As a Gopher fan, this is a guy who'd interest me. Has some injury history, but he was really good as a freshman. Sounds like a unique situation. Probably a lot of pressure on him being the head coach's son, needs to get away. From the sounds of it he'll graduate in just three years this spring, so he'll be immediately eligible and have two years of eligibility.

Ohio State is interested, apparently.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...-mexico-lobos-leaving-coach-father-craig-neal

As a Gopher fan, this is a guy who'd interest me. Has some injury history, but he was really good as a freshman. Sounds like a unique situation. Probably a lot of pressure on him being the head coach's son, needs to get away. From the sounds of it he'll graduate in just three years this spring, so he'll be immediately eligible and have two years of eligibility.

Ohio State is interested, apparently.

Can he shoot? If so, bring him on. Maybe he's a guy who is better off not handling the ball so much and will be better as an off guard. Buckeye interest has to say something good about him.

Can he shoot? If so, bring him on. Maybe he's a guy who is better off not handling the ball so much and will be better as an off guard. Buckeye interest has to say something good about him.

Believe he's best know for his shooting. Biggest risk is the injury problems. Texas A&M and Ole Miss also interested. Doubtful he'd want to came here, but might be worth Pitino's time to send out a feeler.

<blockquoteclass="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Rutgers freshman Justin Goode will transfer, source told <a href="https://twitter.com/CBSSports">@CBSSports</a>.</p>— Jon Rothstein (@JonRothstein) <a href="https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/status/714848036401360896">March 29, 2016</a></blockquote> <script asyncsrc="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Wow, wonder why Giddens is leaving OSU? I thought he looked tough for a freshmen. Huge athletic kid.

Mitchell and Giddens are behind others in their class. Probably want more PT.

Mitchell and Giddens are behind others in their class. Probably want more PT.

Almost looks like a purge at Ohio State. Does Matta have a lot coming in next year? If nothing else, he'll need some bodies for practice. I suppose when you're a that level, you can afford to have guys take off and the challenge of replacing them is not quite what it would be like for some place like Minnesota, for instance.

I still stay if there is a one year grad transfer who can shoot, we do all we can to legally get him here. Any shooter who can play any defense at all will get loads of PT here. I like our guards, but none of them qualifies as a lights out shooter.

Ohio State has two centers coming in, one is a 4 star (Funderburk, 6'9", 220) and the other is a 3 star (Mitchell, 6'10", 245).

Frosh PG AJ Harris is the latest to transfer out of Ohio State. 3 transfers in two days and that makes 4 freshman transferring out of Columbus this season for those keeping track (Austin Grandstaff earlier in the year). Fishy? Interesting? Not sure what to make of it...

I suppose when you're a that level

They were 11-7 in conference, and 20-13 overall.

Lost in the 2nd round last year, 1st round the year before. Better for a number of years before that, but hardly a blueblood run.

Almost looks like a purge at Ohio State. Does Matta have a lot coming in next year? If nothing else, he'll need some bodies for practice. I suppose when you're a that level, you can afford to have guys take off and the challenge of replacing them is not quite what it would be like for some place like Minnesota, for instance.

I still stay if there is a one year grad transfer who can shoot, we do all we can to legally get him here. Any shooter who can play any defense at all will get loads of PT here. I like our guards, but none of them qualifies as a lights out shooter.

I like the way you think, Holy Man. You watch the NCAA tourney, and it becomes clear how important to success it is to have a deadeye shooter.

They were 11-7 in conference, and 20-13 overall.

Lost in the 2nd round last year, 1st round the year before. Better for a number of years before that, but hardly a blueblood run.

No definitely not blue blood, but OSU and Matta have been up there in the recent past in recruiting classes and talent. This year was way off by their standards on the court. I don't know what the guys who left were rated when they came in, but typically OSU has highly rated recruits. Maybe they misjudged the talent. Maybe the guys had bad chemistry. Maybe the coaches prefer to only coach NBA first rounders. Who knows? But three guys leaving in a couple of days smells like a purge not of the players doing.

No definitely not blue blood, but OSU and Matta have been up there in the recent past in recruiting classes and talent. This year was way off by their standards on the court. I don't know what the guys who left were rated when they came in, but typically OSU has highly rated recruits. Maybe they misjudged the talent. Maybe the guys had bad chemistry. Maybe the coaches prefer to only coach NBA first rounders. Who knows? But three guys leaving in a couple of days smells like a purge not of the players doing.

I don't know.... Matta is going to have to go JUCO or with senior transfers. With his two incoming frosh he is down to a roster of 10 players. He doesn't appear to have a shot with any of the top 150 players- per their offer and visit lists.

Top Bottom