2016 College Basketball Player Transfer Thread

Tweet by Pitino: "Today is a good day #Gophers"

Per Jeff Goodman of ESPN

@GoodmanESPN
Milwaukee grad transfer Akeem Springs (@SpringsAkeem) has committed to Minnesota, he told ESPN. Immediately eligible for 16-17.

Frosh PG AJ Harris is the latest to transfer out of Ohio State. 3 transfers in two days and that makes 4 freshman transferring out of Columbus this season for those keeping track (Austin Grandstaff earlier in the year). Fishy? Interesting? Not sure what to make of it...

Well, you see the list of college basketball transfers? It's not a short one. Probably 500 transfers among college basketball players this season. I think in a sense that OSU has been trying to recruit based on glitz and glamour (having coached many guys in the NBA, saying that they are able to help these guys can make it there if they're good enough) and clearly some of the guys they have ended up with are a lot more committed to themselves than OSU. Grandstaff was a flake, I mean the kid barely puts on a jersey before he decides OSU is not for him, his dad/high school coach also advised Elijah Thomas to transfer in November. His dad (who mind you is a coach) complained that his son was taken out of a game because he gave up a baseline drive on defense, that his minutes varied from game to game, and that he was only asked to shoot and not do other things on offense. These days some advisors pressure kids to transfer immediately when they aren't getting everything they want. I can understand Mitchell transferring, he wasn't very good and was going to have no larger role moving forward because of that, plus he was a long way from home, so his departure makes a lot of sense. Giddens is an odd transfer, he was playing a lot and would have played more if he learned how to not foul every other minute he was on the court - apparently he felt he was going to play the 4 and his advisor from high school got in his ear and influenced his decision to transfer based on him feeling like he was not playing the role he was supposed to have, even though he has limited ball skills. There aren't many places that have a traditional 4 man anymore, most have some variation of the stretch 4, so there aren't a lot of systems that are a good fit for what he really seems to want. Harris is the puzzling one. He was playing a lot, and was close to home. I guess he was upset about not starting and felt that they were going to recruit over him, even though they didn't have anybody lined up to come in at guard for next year at the time he decided to transfer, they were recruiting guards for future classes. Altogether, none of these guys were starting or playing 30 minutes on average, if they were, they would probably stick around - same could be said for almost every transfer out there.

Well, you see the list of college basketball transfers? It's not a short one. Probably 500 transfers among college basketball players this season. I think in a sense that OSU has been trying to recruit based on glitz and glamour (having coached many guys in the NBA, saying that they are able to help these guys can make it there if they're good enough) and clearly some of the guys they have ended up with are a lot more committed to themselves than OSU. Grandstaff was a flake, I mean the kid barely puts on a jersey before he decides OSU is not for him, his dad/high school coach also advised Elijah Thomas to transfer in November. His dad (who mind you is a coach) complained that his son was taken out of a game because he gave up a baseline drive on defense, that his minutes varied from game to game, and that he was only asked to shoot and not do other things on offense. These days some advisors pressure kids to transfer immediately when they aren't getting everything they want. I can understand Mitchell transferring, he wasn't very good and was going to have no larger role moving forward because of that, plus he was a long way from home, so his departure makes a lot of sense. Giddens is an odd transfer, he was playing a lot and would have played more if he learned how to not foul every other minute he was on the court - apparently he felt he was going to play the 4 and his advisor from high school got in his ear and influenced his decision to transfer based on him feeling like he was not playing the role he was supposed to have, even though he has limited ball skills. There aren't many places that have a traditional 4 man anymore, most have some variation of the stretch 4, so there aren't a lot of systems that are a good fit for what he really seems to want. Harris is the puzzling one. He was playing a lot, and was close to home. I guess he was upset about not starting and felt that they were going to recruit over him, even though they didn't have anybody lined up to come in at guard for next year at the time he decided to transfer, they were recruiting guards for future classes. Altogether, none of these guys were starting or playing 30 minutes on average, if they were, they would probably stick around - same could be said for almost every transfer out there.
I didn't have the time nor motivation to read that.

Sounds like it is getting as bad as hockey. Tough being a coach these days.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Michigan's Kam Chatman will tansfer

He's the guy that hit the buzzer-beating corner-3 to beat Indiana at the B1G Tournament. That win probably got Michigan into the NCAA tourney.

UNLV's Ben Carter commits to Michigan State

Immediately eligible.

I was looking at available grad transfer centers, and the list doesn't look very promising. The only guy that seems to be worth a look is Valentine Izundu, formerly of Washington State. Doesn't look like much of an offensive threat, but his 2.2 blocks in 14.9 minutes per game is intriguing. He also was an all-academic Pac-12 student as well, so that is a plus. He is looking to visit UNLV, San Diego State, and Fresno State this month.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/valentine-izundu-1.html

I was looking at available grad transfer centers, and the list doesn't look very promising. The only guy that seems to be worth a look is Valentine Izundu, formerly of Washington State. Doesn't look like much of an offensive threat, but his 2.2 blocks in 14.9 minutes per game is intriguing. He also was an all-academic Pac-12 student as well, so that is a plus. He is looking to visit UNLV, San Diego State, and Fresno State this month.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/valentine-izundu-1.html

Works for me. If he's good for five hard fouls a game sign him up

Top Bottom