Leidner ranked #5 QB by CBS, #8 by Walter Football 2017 NFL draft

Big, strong kid with decent wheels for someone his size. His mechanics are a little inconsistent and he doesn't check down that well, but the checking down part may be due to the Pop Warner passing game employed under Limegrover and endorsed by Kill. Claeys seemed to open things up a little and Leidner did a lot better. Lord knows with all the drama the kid has encountered since suiting up at the U, it says a lot about his composure.

I rarely rip on Mitch and I am not one of those people who has argued for Perra, Croft, Streveler, or Green to be the starting QB HOWEVER Mitch is what he is. He is a decent college QB. He has good size, average athleticism, he isn't particularly accurate and he doesn't have the strongest arm.

I do like Mitch. He's tough, he's been nothing but a class act since the moment he stepped foot on campus and I think he'll lead us to successful season (and he's had a successful career).

I really hope I'm wrong, but I haven't seen anything to make me believe Mitch can play in the NFL.

I'm not sure what is more strange. wait!what?'s obsession with Leidner. Or your obsession with wait!what?

I have to admit I do have a real problem with so called fans that goes after a relatively young player who is doing giving his all to help his team win the game. Especially if that QB has a bad offensive line and is getting beat up.

I predict Mitch will get drafted, make a practice squad, then some delusional fan will wonder why him and Fruechte aren't included in an all-time top 10 Minnesota Tandem list ("I mean they were both NFL players").

All I can say to this dribble, which I do after drinking 15 beers every time I watch Mitch play, is if these rankings are anywhere close to being accurate than the Gophers are a top 10 team next year.

Hopefully he's still ranked this high at the end of the season!

Agree. If he is a top 5 QB in next year's draft, that means we were B1G West Division Champs (crossing fingers).

It wouldn't surprise me at all if he got drafted in the late rounds. I hope he has a great year and turns some heads.

These preseason lists mean almost nothing. Beathard will be a high draft pick. Im high on Mitch but unless he has a great year he wont go to the combine. I do think thats possible because the lightbulb seemed to go on a little bit in the latter part of the season.

I believe it was CBS that had Cockran rated the #9 DE this time last year. These rankings seem to be heavily biased by measurables, rather than any sort of film study.

Remember, Leidner has been playing with a bad foot for the last year or year-and-a-half. If he is 100% healthy, his 40-time and quickness could see an improvement this season - and presumably when the Gophs do their Pro Day in 2017. (or if he gets invited to the Combine. I'm a big Leidner fan, but I think a Combine invite is a long shot, unless Leidner really has a big year.)

What's more amazing is he's getting coaching from a former QB who was average to below average when he was playing for the U.

What's more amazing is he's getting coaching from a former QB who was average to below average when he was playing for the U.

Often times average/below average and role players make the best coaches. Thought you would have known that.

This is dumb and not even accurate. Mitch DOES NOT have a faster 40 time than Beathard or Dobbs.

Josh Dobbs, QB, Tennessee
Height: 6-4. Weight: 220.
Projected 40 Time: 4.74.
Projected Round (2016): 3-5.

Mitch Leidner, QB, Minnesota
Height: 6-4. Weight: 236.
Projected 40 Time: 4.70.
Projected Round (2017): 3-5.

C.J. Beathard, QB, Iowa
Height: 6-2. Weight: 209.
Projected 40 Time: 4.80.
Projected Round (2017): 5-7.

Don't know about Dobbs, but Leidner having a faster 40 than Beathard wouldn't surprise me. In a 40 I'd bet on Leidner to beat the Lorax. If they raced 10 times, I'd be willing to bet Mitch on healthy wheels would beat the Lorax a majority of the time.

Often times average/below average and role players make the best coaches. Thought you would have known that.

I wonder how someone who could barely throw the ball near his receiver could make someone else more accurate though? :confused:

I wonder how someone who could barely throw the ball near his receiver could make someone else more accurate though? :confused:

You do know our HC never played CFB at all right? I find it adorable that you think him being a Grad Assistant proves anything about his performance when he was in college. Simply adorable.

Also, not sure how you have deducted that AW8 made ML7 more accurate? Cute.

You seem to be in love with Weber so I'll throw you a bone. When ML7 misses, he typically misses high. AW8 skipped more balls to receivers than any QB since 1912. Maybe working together is a good idea. If so, however, it still means nothing about his performance at the U or about your original argument that Weber/Decker were a top 10 MN combo. That statement should still be sent to Common Man for consideration.

Well, everyone is spilling over this Carson Wentz from NDSU, i've seen him play quite a bit and he reminds me A LOT of Leidner,
and I truly feel if ML7 had a consistent offensive line as Wentz had, Leidner would be opening up more eyes than he has.
When he has protection, he's a completely different player than when he has a guy in his face as he turns around from a 3 step
drop, and made HUGE progression throughout the year. That ball to Woli in Detroit.....sigh, woli......

Well, everyone is spilling over this Carson Wentz from NDSU, i've seen him play quite a bit and he reminds me A LOT of Leidner,
and I truly feel if ML7 had a consistent offensive line as Wentz had, Leidner would be opening up more eyes than he has.
When he has protection, he's a completely different player than when he has a guy in his face as he turns around from a 3 step
drop, and made HUGE progression throughout the year. That ball to Woli in Detroit.....sigh, woli......

NDSU has a better o-line only based on competition. The Gophers o-line is better than NDSU and would look pretty good playing the same schedule. That being said, Wentz is the better prospect - obviously. I mean, some projections have him as the first QB taken in this draft and there is zero chance of Leidner being in that spot next year. I have my doubts on these Leidner projections, but if nothing else this proves that Leidner is a D1 level QB that you would expect from a school like Minnesota.

Proof that scouts literally don't watch the games.

Proof that scouts literally don't watch the games.

We should ask the CFP committee who the best prospects are since they watch the games.

(Sarcasm).

Or Athlons, ESPN, Dienhart, Iowa fans, or any other a myriad sources of uninformed opinion.

I rarely rip on Mitch and I am not one of those people who has argued for Perra, Croft, Streveler, or Green to be the starting QB HOWEVER Mitch is what he is. He is a decent college QB. He has good size, average athleticism, he isn't particularly accurate and he doesn't have the strongest arm.

I do like Mitch. He's tough, he's been nothing but a class act since the moment he stepped foot on campus and I think he'll lead us to successful season (and he's had a successful career).

I really hope I'm wrong, but I haven't seen anything to make me believe Mitch can play in the NFL.

I don't know either. I just think on measureables, he'll get a look. He needs to work through his mechanics, but he does have a big arm and good size. That usually merits a look. What he does with that look is anyone's guess. If Tolzien can hold a clipboard for a few seasons, I don't see why Mitch can't.

If Tolzien can hold a clipboard for a few seasons, I don't see why Mitch can't.

That's a strange parallel to draw. Tolzien was a hyper-accurate, supremely efficient college QB on the smallish side. Other than them both being white male QBs in the Big Ten, it would be difficult for them to be more dissimilar.

That's a strange parallel to draw. Tolzien was a hyper-accurate, supremely efficient college QB on the smallish side. Other than them both being white male QBs in the Big Ten, it would be difficult for them to be more dissimilar.

And all Tolzien did for three seasons was turn around and hand off to a top drawer running back.

My point is that they are both developmental guys.

I think Minnesota fans have just been snake bitten too many times. Both Leidner and Bridgewater are much more talented than the respective fan bases give them credit for. Both teams emphasize the run first, which limits some of their statistical output, but both are capable of putting up big numbers of their system and talent level around them were better. Better yet, both of them are capable of leading their teams to victory. I think both teams are positioned for sustained levels of success that haven't been seen for some time!

Craig Curry, John Hankinson, Bobby Cox drafted too.

BTW - It seems like Walter Football is becoming a big deal.

Top Bottom