WBB: Gophers v. Northwestern-B1G Tourney Game 1

Edwards not physical enough. No post players whatsoever. Maybe that will change next year.

Sure hope not, but hard to argue with the thought. This team should have been better.

Agree. In the last two seasons with 3 out-of-the-ordinary talents (Banham this year, Wagner both years, Zahui B last year), they've got 1 NCAA tourney appearance and no NCAA wins to show for it. Not sure I want to see what Stollings will do with lesser talented players because players of that ilk won't fall into her lap every year.

Too bad Banham has to end it like this, not even sniffing the NCAA with another game vs. Indiana and/or Maryland.

Yep....What bothered me.is she looked dumb founded on the sidelines with the double team on Banham. She kept calling for the high screen at the top of the key for Banham with the double team on her. All it did was restrict Banham from driving the lane so she forced up the 3 shot. They should have moved her to the 2 spot and had Mullaney at the point. That would have released the double team and Banham could have worked off ball screens at the wing. Also they had that 5'4 guard on her. Why not slide Banham in the post and let her creat inside?

Didn't get to watch any of the game today but really the result isn't surprising to me at all. The Gophers struggled with Northwestern in both games during the season and without seeing the game I'd bet that Northwestern's advantage inside was a big part of them winning. Really feel bad for Banham would have been nice to see here close her career in the NCAA tournament.

Didn't get to watch any of the game today but really the result isn't surprising to me at all. The Gophers struggled with Northwestern in both games during the season and without seeing the game I'd bet that Northwestern's advantage inside was a big part of them winning. Really feel bad for Banham would have been nice to see here close her career in the NCAA tournament.

You're correct sir. The last 4 minutes you would've pulled your hair out.

Banham needs to give up the ball when she is doubled teamed. Other players are capable of scoring.

Wagner, Mullaney, Hedstrom and Bailey can all shoot.

No post game at all.

It was a proper denouement, it truly was. With the Gophers trailing 72-68, Rachel missed a three with 2:52 remaining. Northwestern grabbed the rebound and played keep away until Kunaiyi- Akpanah was fouled at the 1:16 mark. It was simple, run the clock rebound the miss then repeat. Coffey had one rebound, Kunaiyi-Akpanah two and Deary contributed a steal. All the while the Northwestern bench grew more and more excited about getting into the WNIT and the Gophers less excited about dropping into the WNIT.

Minutes Played

39 Wagner: 18 points
34 Banham: 26 points
27 Mullaney
24 Hedstrom
23 Edwards 12
22 Bailey
16 Starr
15 Barnes

I'll go on record saying 2014-15 was the best it'll ever get under Stollings.

They'll be more balanced next year with transfer Fernstrom wanting to return home.

I don't have a lot of hope for Stollings' recruits up to this point.

If Stollings can land Carr in 2018, you could be eating your words.

They'll be more balanced next year with transfer Fernstrom wanting to return home.

Agree Shades...They do have Bell next year and she's a"player"

I don't think she can, or maybe doesn't want to coach defense. You don't have to have great talent to have a decent defense if you're willing to work and put some effort into it, and this team showed little inclination to do more than play that weak-a** zone.

The Gophers are now 8-22 all-time in the Big Ten Tournament. The only program worse is Northwestern who is now 7-21.

The Gophers are now 8-22 all-time in the Big Ten Tournament. The only program worse is Northwestern who is now 7-21.

Thanks for looking that up. The only good run was the McCarville/Broback team which lost to MSU in the Championship Game 55-49. In the semifinals they beat Ohio State in OT.

Comments from other sites. The Gophers looked.slow and unathletic . Play horrible soft defense and looked like they played scared. Compliments from my buddy who is on Gopher Illustrated.

Too early to say that, SS. But if the emphasis on defense isn't changed then yes.

Yes, I would acknowledge I'm probably being too tough on her. Just don't like what I see out of her teams defensively. Philosophy seems to be don't bother with it, and I'm skeptical that's going to change even as she gets her own recruits in the program.

Yes, I would acknowledge I'm probably being too tough on her. Just don't like what I see out of her teams defensively. Philosophy seems to be don't bother with it, and I'm skeptical that's going to change even as she gets her own recruits in the program.

I'm with you on the defensive opinion. I'll cut some slack based on what I see coming in on transfers and recruits for next year.

Top Bottom