WBB: Gophers v. Northwestern-B1G Tourney Game 1

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
Northwestern defeated a hapless Wisconsin 76-72 in overtime and will face Minnesota for the third time. The last Gopher/Wildcat match-up produced a theatrical performance for the ages.

An enthusiastic Maggie Lyon, who sat on the bench with a boot on her left foot today, may be able to play tomorrow. Nia Coffey played 33 minutes and scored 18 points before fouling out. Inman scored 18 and Deary 16. Needless to say, for these two teams the scout should be easy.

Game will be 25 minutes after completion of first game....which is at 11 am central.

Game should start around 1:30 on BTN

Very nervous about this game. NW did not look like a 4-14 team when I've seen them, including the close losses to the Gophs. Plus there's the old saw about the difficulty of beating a team three times in a year. If Lyon is hurt that obviously makes a big difference.

I've noticed in some previous games that Northwestern prefers not to lean on its bench. Well, the Gophers like to run and Northwestern played a game yesterday, so that's not a good combination for them. I'm actually hoping for an early thumping similar to our Nebraska game so we can rest key players for the all-important Indiana game. Indiana was unbeaten at home this season, and this is sort of a home court advantage for them.

I've noticed in some previous games that Northwestern prefers not to lean on its bench. Well, the Gophers like to run and Northwestern played a game yesterday, so that's not a good combination for them. I'm actually hoping for an early thumping similar to our Nebraska game so we can rest key players for the all-important Indiana game. Indiana was unbeaten at home this season, and this is sort of a home court advantage for them.

Good points Shades. Here's hoping it plays out that way.

Fatigue shouldn't be a problem for Gophers because they rest on the other end of the court. Yes, they like to run, but the flip side is with that lazy zone they don't exert much energy on the defensive end.

Fatigue shouldn't be a problem for Gophers because they rest on the other end of the court. Yes, they like to run, but the flip side is with that lazy zone they don't exert much energy on the defensive end.

When I said "that's not a good combination for them", I was talking about Northwestern. Sorry the confusion. I'm hoping the Gophers can run NW ragged leading to an easy win.

Maggie Lyon is out again for NW. NW is up 11-8 at the first timeout.

Updates Please?

As much as Gopher fans don't want to hear it, the ladies just don't look like the tournament team nor do they have the make-up of a tournament caliber team outside of Banham, who just might be the best gopher player (mens or womens) ever.

21-11 NW after 1. Agree this is a WNIT team. Next year without Banham will be interesting.

The zone's just a horrid defensive scheme for this team. Leaves wide open shooters every possession, and they wonder why they get 80-90-100 points dropped on them every night.

The use the match up zone.because they lack quickness. I think they should go to a 1-3-1 with Mullaney the chaser

Amazing how sieve-like the Gophers are on defense. Knife through butter almost every time down the floor for the opponent. Good at watching drivers drive right by them and flailing their arms at wide-open 3-point shooters.

A rare poor game from Banham today. Couldn't have come at a worse time.

Agree SS. They also play very flat-footed a lot of times on defense. With Banham having a bad game you would think they would play defense like their hair is on fire.

Agree SS. They also play very flat-footed a lot of times on defense. With Banham having a bad game you would think they would play defense like their hair is on fire.

I don't fault the players. I just don't think Stollings cares one lick about defense, and I don't think that will change when she (presumably) has more talent at her disposal.

Not playing very smart today either. Poor passing decisions. Poor ball movement. Lazy passes. Banham needs to get other players involved early in games. They have other scorers.

They need to keep it close so Banham can pull out some more magic!

That was a terrible sequence there. Northwestern simply wanted it more and worked harder, so they deserve this win. At least Banham can keep climbing up the scoring charts in the WNIT. Has a chance to get anywhere from 3-10 on the all time list.

That Gopher performance is what they call in the business "laying a golden tird".

Top Bottom