WBB: Gophers v. Ohio State-B1G Game 17 (2/24) Senior Day

Was that article from before or after the pipe broke in the Pavillion, and the crowds showed up to The Barn in force? And there must not have been that much money involved, the Womens Athletic Band formed the next year, and it isn't affiliated with the marching band.

From what I've noticed, crowds at women's games are much louder and more enthusiastic on a per-person basis than corresponding crowds at men's games.

The article was post pipe break. The water damage occurred on 22 January forcing Minnesota to relocate the 27 January Indiana game from the Pavilion to Williams. Brenda Frese made it very clear she had no interest in returning to the Ms Arena.

http://www.gophersports.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/012702aaa.html

In front of a record setting crowd of 11,389, the No. 23/25 University of Minnesota women's basketball team downed the Indiana Hoosiers, 75-60 Sunday afternoon in Williams Arena. The win upped the Golden Gophers to 15-4 overall and 5-3 in the Big Ten Conference, while Indiana dropped to 9-11, 3-6 in the league.

"What a great moment for Golden Gopher women's basketball," Minnesota head coach Brenda Oldfield said. "The players deserve to play in that kind of atmosphere. The crowd definitely made a difference for us in the second half."

The previous attendance record to view a Golden Gopher women's basketball game was 6,746 in an 80-70 victory over Indiana on Jan. 24, 1993. Lindsey Whalen Whalen scored a team-high 22 points, along with five assists and five rebounds. Whalen scored 18 points in the second half.

"Lindsay Whalen is the best point guard in the Big Ten Conference," Indiana head coach Kathi Bennett said.

What was really fun was to see the U students so into the game. They really added a lot to the atmosphere and we haven't seen that traditionally with the women's teams over the years--even in the Whalen years I always felt the student section was lacking in numbers and in making noise. Also, fun to see the young girls in larger numbers. That was what was maybe the neatest thing about Whalen's time here. Banham has said she was a great influence on her and I'd guess Shayne and Mikayla would say the same. Pretty sure a lot of young girls at the game Wednesday will be/are saying the same thing about Rachel.

On a side note, Ruesse, whom I have accused of mailing it in, really revealed himself yesterday. He was interviewing Carlie and trying to sound like he really follows the women when he's not busy taking cheap shots at Pitino, Kill, Goetz, Lucia, etc. So he asks Carlie who she was usually assigned to guard ... um ... you know the best wing player ... are you to stay with them? Carlie sort of hesitated and told Ruesse that they play a zone. And, I think it was unintentional, but she started to explain that was where you were responsible for an area instead of a player before she was cut off by the Fraud from Fulda.

On a side note, Ruesse, whom I have accused of mailing it in, really revealed himself yesterday. He was interviewing Carlie and trying to sound like he really follows the women when he's not busy taking cheap shots at Pitino, Kill, Goetz, Lucia, etc. So he asks Carlie who she was usually assigned to guard ... um ... you know the best wing player ... are you to stay with them? Carlie sort of hesitated and told Ruesse that they play a zone. And, I think it was unintentional, but she started to explain that was where you were responsible for an area instead of a player before she was cut off by the Fraud from Fulda.

Thanks for mentioning the interview. I listened on demand and really appreciated Pat awarding the Gophers a NCAA bid.:rolleyes:

I did enjoy Carlie talking about her freshman summer practices impressing on her how serious Stollings was about high paced offense. Carlie also mentioned she enjoys the switch to quarters.

Thanks for mentioning the interview. I listened on demand and really appreciated Pat awarding the Gophers a NCAA bid.:rolleyes:

I did enjoy Carlie talking about her freshman summer practices impressing on her how serious Stollings was about high paced offense. Carlie also mentioned she enjoys the switch to quarters.

Came across very well. Will be interesting to see how she'll handle the extra focus of the defense next year without Rachel. She will have Fernstrom for the BIG season so that should certainly help.

How good is Fernstrom?

Since she's from my area I've paid attention. Not a ZB but should be a nice player for us. 6'5" at least. Can move and does have an outside shot. Should make the biggest impact right away on defense and on the boards. One college game I saw was her against Texas. Played very well. If you look like you belong as a freshman against Texas you're the type of player who'll help right away. Bothers me a little that she bailed during the season but it's a different world I guess.

The article was post pipe break. The water damage occurred on 22 January forcing Minnesota to relocate the 27 January Indiana game from the Pavilion to Williams. Brenda Frese made it very clear she had no interest in returning to the Ms Arena.

Gotcha. I couldn't remember when during the year the pipe broke. February 7 sounded about that time of the season. Plus the crowds that kept showing up en masse wouldn't let them go back to the Pavillion.

The loudest I've ever heard The Barn was the 2004 NCAA Round of 32, where Lindsay, Janel, and Co. systematically tore Kansas State limb from limb.

Gotcha. I couldn't remember when during the year the pipe broke. February 7 sounded about that time of the season. Plus the crowds that kept showing up en masse wouldn't let them go back to the Pavillion.

The loudest I've ever heard The Barn was the 2004 NCAA Round of 32, where Lindsay, Janel, and Co. systematically tore Kansas State limb from limb.
I will never forget McCarville making Nicole Ohlde look like a Little Chipper in that game. (I'd have said UCLA a couple nights earlier was louder but I must have just been in a very loud section in the upper deck. I see there were 1200 more people there for Kansas State.)

Yep...we were there. Didn't think there would be that many fans in attendance, so I bought tickets out front. We sat in the first row directly behind the basket in the second deck. I think there were at least.12 or 13,000 in the stands. Kansas State had a real good center that came in with a lot of hype and Mac. beat the snot out of her. She also set some screens at mid court and twice the K State guard ran right into her because nobody called it out. Poor girl just got hammered. You knew K State was going to get torched. During warmup Whalen just glared at the K State players.

Yep...we were there. Didn't think there would be that many fans in attendance, so I bought tickets out front. We sat in the first row directly behind the basket in the second deck. I think there were at least.12 or 13,000 in the stands. Kansas State had a real good center that came in with a lot of hype and Mac. beat the snot out of her. She also set some screens at mid court and twice the K State guard ran right into her because nobody called it out. Poor girl just got hammered. You knew K State was going to get torched. During warmup Whalen just glared at the K State players.

Is that the time when the player went down and started crying?

I actually met one of the KSU players a few years back. When I asked her about that game she described the gophers level of play and the atmosphere as overwhelming and that they were in shock to get so far behind so fast.

Top Bottom