WBB: Gophers @ Michigan State-B1G Game 16 (2/21)

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
It’s Showtime:

Two of basketballs best players, Aerial Powers and Rachel Banham face off in a high stakes, late season show-down in East Lansing on BTN. It doesn’t get more fun than this. Michigan State, Minnesota and Indiana are tied for third at 10-5. Powers is striving to lead the Spartans back to the NCAA tournament after missing it last season and Banham is working toward her first appearance.

The numbers:

Banham leads the B1G with 29.1 points/game. In the B1G Rachel has hit 56 threes, 58 free throws and grabbed 6.0 rebounds/game. The Big Ten all-time scoring record is within reach.

Powers is tied for third in the B1G (22.9/game). Aerial has hit 24 threes, 79 free throws and grabbed 9.6 rebounds/game.

Last time out: the Spartans outscored Rutgers 29-17 in the fourth quarter for a 70-67 road win. Michigan State spent almost the entire game overcoming a dismal 4 point first quarter. Rutgers had the game in hand leading for 36 minutes. However, for MSU, leading for :57 seconds was enough
http://statenews.com/article/2016/02/msu-earns-come-from-behind-victory-against-rutgers

The Spartans have struggled offensively as of late, with key players like Jankoska (10 points and seven rebounds) and Agee (12 points, six rebounds) struggling from the floor. In their last three games, the two have combined for 20-for-71 shooting, a .282 shooting percentage. Luckily for the Spartans, bench contributions from sophomore guard Lexi Gussert (eight points, one rebound) and sophomore forward Kennedy Johnson (11 points and five rebounds) helped propel MSU past Rutgers.
The win on Thursday against Rutgers snapped MSU’s season-high two game losing streak. The Spartans are now in the midst of a three place tie for third in the Big Ten, with Minnesota and Indiana also in the thick of things.

Michigan States Remaining Schedule: At Illinois (2-13) and hosting Ohio State (14-1)
Indiana's Remaining Schedule: @ Iowa, @ Nebraska, Penn State

Last season in Minneapolis: The Gophers pulled away from the depleted Spartans in the second half for an 86-79 victory. Several of this season’s Spartans played key roles (Powers: 31 points, 9 rebounds; Jankoska: 21 points, 8 rebounds; and Lexi Gussert: 20 points (4 three pointers). Carlie Wagner was Minnesota’s leading scorer with 25 points.

MSU B1G Wins: Wisconsin (77-67), @Penn State (71-55), Northwestern (74-51), Iowa (80-73), Rutgers (59-48), Purdue (68-56), @ Wisconsin (77-54), Michigan (85-54), @ Iowa (74-69), @ Rutgers (70-67)

MSU B1G Losses: @ Ohio State (85-80), @ Indiana (81-65), @ Maryland (85-76), Penn State (65-61), @ Nebraska (73-66)

Probable Starters

F Aerial Powers: 22.9 points, 9.6 rebounds
F Akyah Taylor
C Jasmine Hines
G Tori Jankoska: 12.9 points (leads the B1G in free throw % (90.4%)
G Branndais Agee: 12.6 points (49.1% from three)

http://btn.com/2016/02/18/watch-live-btn2go-offers-rachel-banham-camera-for-sundays-game/

Rachel Cam for Michigan State game.

When Minnesota’s women’s basketball team plays at Michigan State this Sunday at 1 p.m. ET on BTN/BTN2Go, fans will be able to watch Minnesota’s Rachel Banham much more closely than usual. The game airs on BTN/BTN2Go as scheduled and BTN2Go will also offer a live dedicated camera tracking Banham for the entire game - See more at: http://btn.com/2016/02/18/watch-liv...camera-for-sundays-game/#sthash.wjWMrfIo.dpuf

http://btn.com/2016/02/18/watch-live-btn2go-offers-rachel-banham-camera-for-sundays-game/

Rachel Cam for Michigan State game.

When Minnesota’s women’s basketball team plays at Michigan State this Sunday at 1 p.m. ET on BTN/BTN2Go, fans will be able to watch Minnesota’s Rachel Banham much more closely than usual. The game airs on BTN/BTN2Go as scheduled and BTN2Go will also offer a live dedicated camera tracking Banham for the entire game - See more at: http://btn.com/2016/02/18/watch-liv...camera-for-sundays-game/#sthash.wjWMrfIo.dpuf

I'm not sure I like this. It could get into her head and cause her to lose focus.

Other attempts at dedicated cams have never been well received by the viewing audience. I suppose if it's an option instead of forced it might be okay.

Please note that Powers is a contender with Iowa's Ally Disterhoft on the All-Whine team (I'd argue she's significantly whinier, in fact).

Please note that Powers is a contender with Iowa's Ally Disterhoft on the All-Whine team (I'd argue she's significantly whinier, in fact).

Agreed.They are both hard to watch and their coaches should sit them down until they stop whining. I am so glad you rarely see Banham do that in a game. Of course, Bluder loves to complain and Merchant much less. We need this W.

There should be only one camera for a basketball game....mid court.

endzone cams and ankle cams suck!

Why must they show views from the cheap seats?

Agreed.They are both hard to watch and their coaches should sit them down until they stop whining. I am so glad you rarely see Banham do that in a game. Of course, Bluder loves to complain and Merchant much less. We need this W.

Actually, I understand some complaining about missed, obvious fouls -- which Banham, as noted, occasionally does, too -- but, with Powers, in particular, it seems like a way bigger issue, which is maybe part of why she ends up getting so many dumb fouls in bunches late in games. Her whining is often directed at her own teammates (and maybe at herself?), in addition to the refs. To this observer, she has this "It's not my fault" thing going on virtually all of the time.

-- but, with Powers, in particular, it seems like a way bigger issue, which is maybe part of why she ends up getting so many dumb fouls in bunches late in games. Her whining is often directed at her own teammates (and maybe at herself?), in addition to the refs. To this observer, she has this "It's not my fault" thing going on virtually all of the time.

Yep, she a freelance whiner and complainer; but a hell of a player when she gets fired up. Against Rutgers the other night she put away a game changing three and later dove into the paint out fighting two or three Scarlet Knight's for a key offensive rebound.

An absolute must win after the Indiana debacle....I do not see them beating either OSU or Maryland....Get the game tomorrow and a couple in the B10 tourney and they gotta chance.

An absolute must win after the Indiana debacle....I do not see them beating either OSU or Maryland....Get the game tomorrow and a couple in the B10 tourney and they gotta chance.

"Debacle" is strong language. There's probably good reason Indy is undefeated at home.

Banham with a half court heave to end the 1st quarter but Michigan State scored 37 points already. 37-21 end of 1.

From 19 down now to just 2! 48-46 MSU with 1:37 left in the half. Banham has 20 and Powers 19.

54-52 MSU at halftime. Banham has 26. Hedstrom has been a spark off the bench with 7.

Two horrible calls on Banham

now on the bench with 3 fouls

Those fouls on Banham really changed the game. Marlene should've just kept her in.

The record may very well fall today.

they can still make the tourney

This is a hell of a game.....too bad to those not watching.

Banham needs 4 more pts to tie the all-time Big Ten scoring record.

No chance....They will not beat Ohio State or Maryland and their SOS and RPI will be really bad at the end of the year.

I think they can definitely beat OSU with Banham on fire again. Maryland not so much because they have great posts.

Top Bottom