WBB: Gophers left out of latest Bracketology

Otis

Reaction score
The guy who writes this has 5 Big Ten teams in and none are from Minnesota.

Ohio State
Maryland
Michigan State
Purdue
Indiana

Iowa is one of the last four out along with Rutgers. Minnesota is not mentioned despite being 10-4, in third place in the conference and possessing the hottest shooting player in the country.

I know their SOS is weak, but this seems pretty unusual.

RPI is 76
No games played all season against anyone in the RPI top 40
2-2 against the RPI top 50.
5-4 against RPI 50-100
11-1 against the RPI 100+
Lost to RPI #186 New Mexico
1-5 road/neutral record vs. the RPI top 100
Pretty simple to see why they're not in the field.

RPI is 76
No games played all season against anyone in the RPI top 40
2-2 against the RPI top 50.
5-4 against RPI 50-100
11-1 against the RPI 100+
Lost to RPI #186 New Mexico
1-5 road/neutral record vs. the RPI top 100
Pretty simple to see why they're not in the field.

Spot on.

Because of that weak schedule, Gophers must do their heavy lifting at the very end. The final four regular-season games and/or the B1G Tournament presents them with multiple opportunities to fix this.

Yep SS. A sad state of affairs to say the least. I thought the Iowa win would move them into the low 70's.

How many Power 5 + teams have finished 11-5 or better in conference and not made the tournament? For the men, I'd be surprised if it's happened more than once or twice since 1985...

How many Power 5 + teams have finished 11-5 or better in conference and not made the tournament? For the men, I'd be surprised if it's happened more than once or twice since 1985...

Grossly unbalanced schedules are going make analysis like that a thing of history. I can easily see 11-5 teams not making it because they had a really soft in conference schedule. The women had a bad NC schedule and don't play the two top teams in the league until the very end. Tough but also makes their schedule weak up to now. I sure want to see them in. Every extra minute of Rachel playing will be a gift, but they need to beat a couple really good teams to make it happen.

Yep SS. A sad state of affairs to say the least. I thought the Iowa win would move them into the low 70's.

Indeed. I get that a certain amount of scheduling is not in the control of the scheduler -- Duke (also currently below the bubble) should have helped the RPI more, at least one of the 300+ RPI teams has racked up a fair number of wins in the past, the Gophers should have beaten Auburn and NM --but such decisions as, for instance, playing two bad teams in the Atlantic Sun were obviously awful the minute those teams were booked.

Top Bottom