ST: Tubby Smith's Texas Tech team knocks off another Top 25 opponent

Texas Tech is giving OU all it can handle. This would be a huge upset for TT.

Up 1, 1:20 to go. How can you not cheer for Tubby?? Plus Spangler is a spaz.

Another good win for them. Did anyone else notice it looked like the guy with the ball started celebrating too early and traveled with about a second left?

Tubby now a lock for NCAA's in year 3. Will we be 1-17 or 2-16? Sigh.

Congrats to Tubby and the Raiders. I hold no animosity towards Tubby, despite the fact that I agreed with his firing. I am glad to see him doing well at TT. It seems his firing, fired him up. TT is a fun team to watch and they certainly appear to be on the upswing.

What's interesting is he has more conference wins (regular season and conference tourney) in February and March with Texas Tech in a little less than 3 years than he did at MN in his last three years. Now has 10 for TT and only had 8 conference wins total in February and March in his last three seasons at MN.

Better recruits down in texas.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Huh....pretty sure I said Iowa was way over rated a couple of days ago....and now Texas Tech just beat Oklahoma for their 3rd win in a row against a top 25 teams. But I hear the Gophers are looking really good in practice according to everyone who knows anything about basketball...or serious basketball fans. I'm pretty sure Pitino has had higher rated recruiting classes the last three years than Tubby also...but I'm not sure if that's coming from anyone who has watched our practices.

Yeah, for whatever reason, some people think that his struggles in year 2 (in a dumpster fire of a program), diminishes what is happening now. Tubby has done a good job and been a better hire for Texas Tech than Pitino has been for us (at least so far).

Huh....pretty sure I said Iowa was way over rated a couple of days ago....

Cool, give yourself a pat on the back.

and now Texas Tech just beat Oklahoma for their 3rd win in a row against a top 25 teams.

He's doing a great job down there right now. What Tubby does now doesn't change anything he did at MN. He's got his team playing very well right now late in the season, something he couldn't do at MN his last three seasons.

But I hear the Gophers are looking really good in practice according to everyone who knows anything about basketball...or serious basketball fans. I'm pretty sure Pitino has had higher rated recruiting classes the last three years than Tubby also...but I'm not sure if that's coming from anyone who has watched our practices.

I'm not really sure what you're even talking about here. Are you referring to the two transfers who can't play and how some are excited about them next year?

Cool, give yourself a pat on the back.

He's doing a great job down there right now. What Tubby does now doesn't change anything he did at MN. He's got his team playing very well right now late in the season, something he couldn't do at MN his last three seasons.

I'm not really sure what you're even talking about here. Are you referring to the two transfers who can't play and how some are excited about them next year?

In Tubby's last year he beat Wisconsin (when they were ranked in the top 20) in the middle of February, the number 1 team in the country (Indiana) at the end of February and an NCAA Tournament game against UCLA, who I believe was also a top 25 team when we beat them.

Hey, I was just stating the facts about our morale victory against Iowa Sunday. Sorry if that upsets you. Iowa was beaten by Augustana earlier this season.....Augustana plays in the Northern Sun....they are a very good Division 2 school with Lakeville South's Alex Richter on their team....but they are still a Division 2 school. Oh....by the way....they lost to Penn State tonight...and they aren't close to as good as our 97 squad.

So - Texas Tech beats third straight top 25 team for first time in school history. Is the U and many in the media allowed to say they were wrong about Tubby yet? I would take him back at this point.

So - Texas Tech beats third straight top 25 team for first time in school history. Is the U and many in the media allowed to say they were wrong about Tubby yet? I would take him back at this point.

I wouldn't take Tubby back now....we need a younger coach....and he wouldn't come back anyway. Plus what is past is past. That doesn't mean that I think we made the right decision. I go back and forth on that...and would have given him another year. It's hard for a program with our history to fire a coach after winning a game in the NCAA Tournament. What bothers me is how anyone who at the time was critical of Tubby would somehow think what is happening now is somehow acceptable. We wouldn't even be .500 counting morale victories....

I wouldn't take Tubby back now....we need a younger coach....and he wouldn't come back anyway. Plus what is past is past. That doesn't mean that I think we made the right decision. I go back and forth on that...and would have given him another year. It's hard for a program with our history to fire a coach after winning a game in the NCAA Tournament. What bothers me is how anyone who at the time was critical of Tubby would somehow think what is happening now is somehow acceptable. We wouldn't even be .500 counting morale victories....

You realize being critical of Tubby and agreeing with his firing is not the same as thinking that what is happening now is acceptable?

Remember GW's quote that he kept repeating over and over? Something along the lines of "'bout to get real, real ugly down there in Lubbock." Ha, what a dipsh1t.

You realize being critical of Tubby and agreeing with his firing is not the same as thinking that what is happening now is acceptable?

+1. No they don't realize or understand this. This statement not being understood is what causes 90% of the talk about Tubby.

In Tubby's last year he beat Wisconsin (when they were ranked in the top 20) in the middle of February, the number 1 team in the country (Indiana) at the end of February and an NCAA Tournament game against UCLA, who I believe was also a top 25 team when we beat them.

Hey, I was just stating the facts about our morale victory against Iowa Sunday. Sorry if that upsets you. Iowa was beaten by Augustana earlier this season.....Augustana plays in the Northern Sun....they are a very good Division 2 school with Lakeville South's Alex Richter on their team....but they are still a Division 2 school. Oh....by the way....they lost to Penn State tonight...and they aren't close to as good as our 97 squad.

Not sure how you got that this upset me. I just didn't know what that had to do with what are talking about. You just seem to like to pat yourself on the back a lot.

Yeah, him and others seem to not understand that. I've been critical of Pitino and have even said I would be fine if he gets fired at this point. For whatever reason, some people believe you can only have one of two stances: hate Tubby and love Pitino or love Tubby and hate Pitino. It is possible to think letting Tubby go was the right move and at the same time not be very optimistic about Pitino.

. ... For whatever reason, some people believe you can only have one of two stances: hate Tubby and love Pitino or love Tubby and hate Pitino. It is possible to think letting Tubby go was the right move and at the same time not be very optimistic about Pitino.

Well said.

I understood why Megatongue let Previous Coach go, it didn't surprise me, nor was I outraged, but at the same time I've seen very little in the last two seasons that leads me to believe the Gophers will be sniffing .500 in the B1G or the NCAA tourney until at least Year 5. Hopefully my outlook brightens next season after I've seen the Gophers beat a couple good teams (if we play a few) during the non-conference part of the schedule.

Beat Maryland.

Yeah, him and others seem to not understand that. I've been critical of Pitino and have even said I would be fine if he gets fired at this point. For whatever reason, some people believe you can only have one of two stances: hate Tubby and love Pitino or love Tubby and hate Pitino. It is possible to think letting Tubby go was the right move and at the same time not be very optimistic about Pitino.

I also enjoy the narrative that if Tubby were still here he'd be getting the exact same results as he is at TT. Not factoring in how the firing impacted him, how he may have changed his coaching somewhat, the Texas recruiting pool, and most of all an admin, by all accounts, that is far ahead of the crap fest that appears to be the UMN athletic department. My point isn't that MN is bad, but it's the same argument as "oh my NBA team averages 100 points per game. And we signed a guy who scored 20/game. Now we will score 120!!!!!" There are layers here beyond oh if Tubby were still here we'd be beating 3 ranked teams in a row! It's not that simple.

I am thrilled to see Tubby have success though. Sometimes situations don't work out for whatever reason and Tubby has used the problems here and firing and turned it into a really successful campaign at TT. Happy for the guy and wish him tons of success.

Now, hopefully the U can get an AD. the Gophers can win a couple games and Pitino can be successful as well.

Well said.

I understood why Megatongue let Previous Coach go, it didn't surprise me, nor was I outraged, but at the same time I've seen very little in the last two seasons that leads me to believe the Gophers will be sniffing .500 in the B1G or the NCAA tourney until at least Year 5. Hopefully my outlook brightens next season after I've seen the Gophers beat a couple good teams (if we play a few) during the non-conference part of the schedule.

Beat Maryland.

I'm in the same boat but a bit higher on Pitino.

At a minimum, I personally don't like compounding mistakes. So if one believes that we fired Tubby too soon, fine, let's learn from that and not repeat it.

Same goes for if Mega Hired Pitino too soon (he needed seasoning) that's fine too but let us not fire him too soon and let someone else benefit from the on the job training that he received in Minnesota. I think he's got the skillset and mindset to be a good coach, I see strategic moves and basketball thoughts that make sense out of him. He's made mistakes, lots of them. Let's give him some more time to figure it out and not make another mistake after the (arguably) mistake of hiring him this early in his career.

I'm in the same boat but a bit higher on Pitino.

At a minimum, I personally don't like compounding mistakes. So if one believes that we fired Tubby too soon, fine, let's learn from that and not repeat it.

Same goes for if Mega Hired Pitino too soon (he needed seasoning) that's fine too but let us not fire him too soon and let someone else benefit from the on the job training that he received in Minnesota. I think he's got the skillset and mindset to be a good coach, I see strategic moves and basketball thoughts that make sense out of him. He's made mistakes, lots of them. Let's give him some more time to figure it out and not make another mistake after the (arguably) mistake of hiring him this early in his career.

Also well said. I have no problem seeing what Pitino can do with next season's roster. There are some pieces in place (Mason, McBrayer, Murphy, Dorsey) if they're all here next season. Can't lose any of those guys, especially the first three.

I propose we ban this asshole will mods do it if enough people second the motion. thought this was a site for gopher fans, people have been banned for less on here

Top Bottom