ST: Tubby Smith's Texas Tech team knocks off another Top 25 opponent

Except the Gophers can still get to 3 conference wins this year, which would match what Tubby did last year.

Say what you will about Tubby's tenure here but at least TT fans do not have to put up with an Ofer conference slate..:rolleyes:

http://www.startribune.com/tubby-smith-s-texas-tech-team-knocks-off-another-top-25-opponent/368847531/

In the past several years Tubby has become the Leroy Hoard of coaching. You need 2 yards- he'll get you 2 yards. You need 5 yards- he'll still get you 2 yards. If you like breathing on the .500 mark as a long term plan- Tubby is the man. He was a great coach back in the day - and he still can coach- but you need to have the energy to recruit.

In the past several years Tubby has become the Leroy Hoard of coaching. You need 2 yards- he'll get you 2 yards. You need 5 yards- he'll still get you 2 yards. If you like breathing on the .500 mark as a long term plan- Tubby is the man. He was a great coach back in the day - and he still can coach- but you need to have the energy to recruit.

I would take an 8-10 conference record and a bubble team this year over going 1-17.....Even if the transfers work out and Coffey is good and Mason and the youngsters get better...I am still not convinced Ricky can coach and/or is able to create an identity for his players....No way they are better than 6/7 wins next year in the B10.

+1. Looking at TT's recruiting classes vs MN the last three years and it would be hard to see TT going anywhere but flat or down whereas MN could be around .500 and a top-6 conference contender the next two seasons.

I would take an 8-10 conference record and a bubble team this year over going 1-17.....Even if the transfers work out and Coffey is good and Mason and the youngsters get better...I am still not convinced Ricky can coach and/or is able to create an identity for his players....No way they are better than 6/7 wins next year in the B10.

We get it. You don't like Pitino and wish he was gone. Nothing wrong with that. Your opinion.

+1. Looking at TT's recruiting classes vs MN the last three years and it would be hard to see TT going anywhere but flat or down whereas MN could be around .500 and a top-6 conference contender the next two seasons.

Well say what you will, but Tubby has a nice group of sophomores on his squad. I've watched them play a few times this year and they are actually entertaining. You know, most of you who are bashing Tubby in this post would have guaranteed the Gophers were going to beat Texas Tech this year if we ended up playing each other. We got smoked! Tubby came into a much worse situation than Pitino three years ago and at this point, Texas Tech is about 200 spots higher in the RPI. Enough said.

cmon....After this ridiculous season....He will get another season by default because we have no AD.....The fan base will not put up with another tourney-less season next year and the pressure will be put on the new AD to pull the trigger.

If the team has at least 7 conference wins next season, Pitino's job is safe IMO. They get an NIT bid if that happens. 5 or 6 and its 50-50. Less than 5 and he's probably on the way out. I can't see less than 5 but if it happens he deserves to be let go.We'll wait and see.

Who cares about last year......WHAT HAVE U DONE FOR ME LATELY?....the article is about what is going on THIS year....TT RPI 32....Gophers 234.....nuff said

RPI is a joke. What did Tubby do his first two years? Nothing. Keep trolling though...

Well say what you will, but Tubby has a nice group of sophomores on his squad. I've watched them play a few times this year and they are actually entertaining. You know, most of you who are bashing Tubby in this post would have guaranteed the Gophers were going to beat Texas Tech this year if we ended up playing each other. We got smoked! Tubby came into a much worse situation than Pitino three years ago and at this point, Texas Tech is about 200 spots higher in the RPI. Enough said.

I believe Tubby had one or two nice group of Sophs here also. Did it take the team to the next level? I think we know the answer to that.

Props on the Leroy Hoard analogy. But getting Texas Tech to the NCAA's, if he does, is not Leroy Hoard type work. The question becomes, if you can recruit that level of talent to Lubbock, what were you doing your last 2 years in MN?

I won't get drawn into this, I won't get drawn into this, I won't get drawn into this...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We should start a thread that compares and contrasts Tubby and Pitino's careers as well as their successes/failures over the past 3 years. Would really add to this board.

3??? haha .....they MIGHT beat Rutgers home and away

Remember when you said this before the Michigan game?

They are going to get blown out every game the rest of the season except for Rutgers at home

at Rutgers would be the only game i would worry about with that bet.

It took all of one game for you to be wrong. So what do I win for that bet? http://www.forums.gopherhole.com/boards/showthread.php?67019-Pitino-on-last-game-against-Northwestern-I-did-a-horrible-job-of-preparing-the-guys/page2

The one thing you're really good at is hyperbole. Good job.

Just because people don't feel the same way as you doesn't mean they are bashing him. I fail to see where people are doing what you say they are doing. And Tubby has done a better job than Pitino through three years. Very few will argue that. I'm not surprised at all. He did the same thing at MN. Brought the program from being bad to being a solid program in a couple of years.

This idea that the Gophers have a ceiling of 6-7 conference wins next season is ludicrous to me. This season the Gophers trailed at home to Michigan State by 2 with 2 minutes to play, the next game they choked away a win at Penn State, home against Indiana was a 4 point game with a minute left and a 3 point game with 20 seconds left, home against Illinois was the patented Gopher epic choke job, home against Purdue was a 2 point game with a minute left, at Indiana the Gophers led by a point with 2 minutes left, at Iowa was a 3 point game with 2 minutes left.

That is 7 conference games this season that were very much in doubt in the waning minutes and the Gophers have lost all of them. Let's say the Gophers simply beat Penn State and Illinois and then go on to win both Rutgers games. In that hypothetical scenario they finish this year at 4-14 in the conference and have a terrible (instead of an unreal 0-7) 2-5 record in games decided down the stretch.

I am personally down on Pitino now (not out, but down) and don't share in many of the "good effort" posts especially when they get down by 19 on their home floor to an ok Michigan team then rally to make it competitive. I am skeptical of the transfers actually being impact guys as Pitino also hyped Zach Lofton at one time and the Gopher program has a long history of transfers ability not matching the hype they get in the season in which they sit out. That said, assuming the talent on this team is significantly better next year the ceiling has to be higher than 6-7 wins. I think there's a good case to be made (IF the Gophers beat Rutgers twice and lose the rest) that this years team had a ceiling of 5-6 wins-with the benefit of hindsight. Reality is they won't get there and will likely finish with 0-3 conference wins.

I wish Tubby the best at the Texas Tech. If at this time next year it is apparent that Minnesota made a mistake, that mistake will be hiring Richard Pitino and not firing Tubby Smith.

If the team has at least 7 conference wins next season, Pitino's job is safe IMO. They get an NIT bid if that happens. 5 or 6 and its 50-50. Less than 5 and he's probably on the way out. I can't see less than 5 but if it happens he deserves to be let go.We'll wait and see.

So assuming we beat Rutgers twice this year and go 2-16....and then win 7 games next year you think Pitino should be safe after next year? So 23-49 after 4 years is acceptable to you? Wow thanks for setting the bar so high. Besides that, interest in the Gophers is at an all time low....except for the 20 guys on here puckering up their lips to Pitinos rear end. Great...we almost beat Iowa....guess what....Augustana beat them. Just like their football team...their basketball team is way overrated.

Have the Gophers improved this year...yeah definitely....it's hard not to when you were down over 40 to Nebraska....lost by a combined 49 to Northwestern....and got beat at home to South Dakota, South Dakota State and Wisconsin-Milwaukee. Some of you have the bar set so low for Pitino and I have no idea why. Yeah 4 years, zero NCAA appearances and a 23-49 B1G record....that should be acceptable. There is not ONE person on this board who would have felt that was acceptable after 4 seasons when Pitino was hired.

This may come as a shock to some of you, but there are many of us that still would not trade Pitino for Tubby even given the current records. Tubby was a great coach,but he had a ceiling based upon the effort he put into coaching and recruiting. He was never going to compete for the conference title. It looks like he may have gotten a second wind with the U hurting his ego. As has been discussed many, many times before, Pitino gives us hope for a higher level of competition. Of course he has made some coaching mistakes and he has missed on some recruits, but it is evident that he is improving and that his players are improving. If he isn't successful then we will take another shot at the next coach. It is much better than the status quo with a disinterested bottom of the pack HOF coach.

This idea that the Gophers have a ceiling of 6-7 conference wins next season is ludicrous to me. This season the Gophers trailed at home to Michigan State by 2 with 2 minutes to play, the next game they choked away a win at Penn State, home against Indiana was a 4 point game with a minute left and a 3 point game with 20 seconds left, home against Illinois was the patented Gopher epic choke job, home against Purdue was a 2 point game with a minute left, at Indiana the Gophers led by a point with 2 minutes left, at Iowa was a 3 point game with 2 minutes left.

That is 7 conference games this season that were very much in doubt in the waning minutes and the Gophers have lost all of them. Let's say the Gophers simply beat Penn State and Illinois and then go on to win both Rutgers games. In that hypothetical scenario they finish this year at 4-14 in the conference and have a terrible (instead of an unreal 0-7) 2-5 record in games decided down the stretch.

I am personally down on Pitino now (not out, but down) and don't share in many of the "good effort" posts especially when they get down by 19 on their home floor to an ok Michigan team then rally to make it competitive. I am skeptical of the transfers actually being impact guys as Pitino also hyped Zach Lofton at one time and the Gopher program has a long history of transfers ability not matching the hype they get in the season in which they sit out. That said, assuming the talent on this team is significantly better next year the ceiling has to be higher than 6-7 wins. I think there's a good case to be made (IF the Gophers beat Rutgers twice and lose the rest) that this years team had a ceiling of 5-6 wins-with the benefit of hindsight. Reality is they won't get there and will likely finish with 0-3 conference wins.

I wish Tubby the best at the Texas Tech. If at this time next year it is apparent that Minnesota made a mistake, that mistake will be hiring Richard Pitino and not firing Tubby Smith.

Well I agree and disagree with you. I disagree about Tubby being a bad coach for the U....but admit I was disappointed in the way his team's finished the season. His two bad seasons I felt ended the way they did because of injuries...to Nolen one year and Mbakwe the next. If I would have had my choice...I would have kept him around another year. It would have been a lot easier to let him go after a 6 or 7 win season than a year when they won an NCAA Tournament game.

That being said....if the Gophers were doing well...or Tubby's team wasn't doing so well....I would be way over it. But now we have some guy saying that Pitino should be safe if we get to 7 wins next year....I'm just in shock!!! This has nothing to do with Tubby...it's about the state of the program.

This may come as a shock to some of you, but there are many of us that still would not trade Pitino for Tubby even given the current records. Tubby was a great coach,but he had a ceiling based upon the effort he put into coaching and recruiting. He was never going to compete for the conference title. It looks like he may have gotten a second wind with the U hurting his ego. As has been discussed many, many times before, Pitino gives us hope for a higher level of competition. Of course he has made some coaching mistakes and he has missed on some recruits, but it is evident that he is improving and that his players are improving. If he isn't successful then we will take another shot at the next coach. It is much better than the status quo with a disinterested bottom of the pack HOF coach.

We haven't won a game this year in the B1G. We probably would go winless in the B1G...except for the fact the B1G decided a few years ago to let Rutgers join the conference. We have gotten worse each of the past three years. We have been anything but consistent this year....except for losing games consistently. How does Pitino make you feel we have a shot of competing at the top of the B1G?

Maybe being fired here was a wake up call for Tubby.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Maybe being fired here was a wake up call for Tubby.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Maybe he never should have been fired?

In truth I have no problem with him being fired but you don't replace him with Pitino.....unless it's his dad.

Keep in mind the AD did whatever he could to run talent out the door or keep it from playing.

Top Bottom