Chip Scoggins: Expect no shortage of talented candidates in Gophers' search for an AD

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Chip:

Goetz has impressed high-ranking university officials with her handling of a difficult situation, but this job search should not be a charade with Goetz being rubber-stamped.

Other strong candidates with impressive credentials are out there and probably interested. Here are four people the university should pursue in seeking a competitive field of candidates:

1. Craig Thompson, Mountain West Conference commissioner

Thompson would be my first call. He graduated from Minnesota and loves his alma mater. Absolutely loves it.

2. Phil Esten, deputy director of athletics and chief operating officer for intercollegiate athletics at Penn State

3. Sean Frazier, Northern Illinois athletic director

4. Martin Jarmond, executive associate AD at Ohio State

http://www.startribune.com/expect-n...idates-in-gophers-search-for-an-ad/368748361/

Go Gophers!!

I wonder if the search pros will come up with the same candidates. But this list reinforces the speculation that Kaler and the regents want to be insulated in case things go south. Also, any backlash can be easily squelched if the recommendation is to hire somebody other than Goetz. Pretty gutless if you ask me but I can see why they would do it this way.

Always wonder if Goetz being hired by Teague hurts her chances. I would hire Esten tomorrow if given the choice.

Corporate Human Resources departments have become "Legal" Human Resources departments. Universities follow suit. We live in an increasingly very litigious society - a by product of producing too many lawyers...

The US has over 1.22 million attorneys with a population of 320 million... One lawyer per 262 people. Japan has about 35,000 attorneys with a population of 127 million. One lawyer per 3,629 people, and yet their Minitry of Internal Affairs complaint that they have too many lawyers.

I would not be surprised if many HR people now have law degrees.

Corporate Human Resources departments have become "Legal" Human Resources departments. Universities follow suit. We live in an increasingly very litigious society - a by product of producing too many lawyers...

The US has over 1.22 million attorneys with a population of 320 million... One lawyer per 262 people. Japan has about 35,000 attorneys with a population of 127 million. One lawyer per 3,629 people, and yet their Minitry of Internal Affairs complaint that they have too many lawyers.

A by product of too many lawyers...or a by product of a system that too easily allows people to deflect responsibility for anyone or anything?

Always wonder if Goetz being hired by Teague hurts her chances. I would hire Esten tomorrow if given the choice.
He was my choice when the job came open. I'm very intrigued by the OSU guy, but feel this job would just be a springboard for him.

I have no idea if any of those 4 that Chpper mentions would be interested. But all seem much more qualified than Goetz, based on paper, which doesn't always tell the entire story, but I can't see hiring Goetz if one of those are interested.

per Chip:

Goetz has impressed high-ranking university officials with her handling of a difficult situation, but this job search should not be a charade with Goetz being rubber-stamped.

Other strong candidates with impressive credentials are out there and probably interested. Here are four people the university should pursue in seeking a competitive field of candidates:

1. Craig Thompson, Mountain West Conference commissioner

Thompson would be my first call. He graduated from Minnesota and loves his alma mater. Absolutely loves it.

2. Phil Esten, deputy director of athletics and chief operating officer for intercollegiate athletics at Penn State

3. Sean Frazier, Northern Illinois athletic director

4. Martin Jarmond, executive associate AD at Ohio State

http://www.startribune.com/expect-n...idates-in-gophers-search-for-an-ad/368748361/

Go Gophers!!
I agree on Thompson, if he's interested he'd be a great hire.

I agree on Thompson, if he's interested he'd be a great hire.

Ditto. He was pretty solid with the MW conference during his time, heard him interviewed on a number of occasions. Very engaged

Ditto. He was pretty solid with the MW conference during his time, heard him interviewed on a number of occasions. Very engaged

From what I recall when Thompson's name was first pitched as an AD candidate, there was a huge number of fans of MWC teams that were chomping at the bit to get rid of him. I'm not sure that there's ever been a universally-liked commissioner, but it was interesting to see just how many people absolutely loathed him.

From what I recall when Thompson's name was first pitched as an AD candidate, there was a huge number of fans of MWC teams that were chomping at the bit to get rid of him. I'm not sure that there's ever been a universally-liked commissioner, but it was interesting to see just how many people absolutely loathed him.

MW fans want to believe their conference is wayyyyyyy more than it is. They want to be taken seriously, want respect on a national level. I doubt they'll have much respect for any commissioner that can't elevate the conference to the level of the big 5

If I'm connecting the dots correctly, Beth Goetz isn't going to be hired as the AD.
-- If the Title IX review was going poorly, then she'd be hired. Apparently it's going fine so we can hire someone else and announce that we're getting a "clean slate" to clean up the previous mess. This long delay was simply to hold off on making any decisions until the outcome of the Title IX investigation is known.
-- If she was going to be hired, they wouldn't have hired the outside firm. Hiring an outside search firm gives the administration a more valid reason to say no to Goetz -- "person [fill in the blank] is who the search firm recommended so that's who were going with".
-- Goetz realizes this and that's why she went public with her "I'm a candidate for the job" announcement. Of course the administration knows she wants the job, there's no need to go public with a statement other than she wants the Gopher community to support her making it more difficult for the administration to say no to her and yes to someone else.

MW fans want to believe their conference is wayyyyyyy more than it is. They want to be taken seriously, want respect on a national level. I doubt they'll have much respect for any commissioner that can't elevate the conference to the level of the big 5

Or they watched their Commish walk away from ESPN to form his own disastrous TV network - the mtn - which helped push BYU to independence.

That Mountain West dude looks like a solid candidate. Would prefer someone more experienced and established than Goetz.

I find myself struggling to care a whole lot who we hire for AD. I'm confident whoever it is will be vetted far better than NT was.

the thing is - there are all kinds of AD's. It's not a one-size-fits-all situation.

Some AD's are strong administrators, but prefer to work behind the scenes. Some AD's want to be the "face" of the athletic department, and delegate the day-to-day operations to others in the department. Some AD's are strong fund-raisers. Some AD's aren't good at schmoozing, and leave the fund-raising to others.

So, first the U has to decide what type of AD they want - and then they have to go out and find someone who fits that blueprint. But, the key is knowing what you're looking for BEFORE you start looking.

How many of those lawyers are intellectual/ Patent attorneys?

If I'm connecting the dots correctly, Beth Goetz isn't going to be hired as the AD.
-- If the Title IX review was going poorly, then she'd be hired. Apparently it's going fine so we can hire someone else and announce that we're getting a "clean slate" to clean up the previous mess. This long delay was simply to hold off on making any decisions until the outcome of the Title IX investigation is known.
-- If she was going to be hired, they wouldn't have hired the outside firm. Hiring an outside search firm gives the administration a more valid reason to say no to Goetz -- "person [fill in the blank] is who the search firm recommended so that's who were going with".
-- Goetz realizes this and that's why she went public with her "I'm a candidate for the job" announcement. Of course the administration knows she wants the job, there's no need to go public with a statement other than she wants the Gopher community to support her making it more difficult for the administration to say no to her and yes to someone else.

How about - the U just decided to open up the search to include the most amount of applicants to find their best option.

I really don't think there are any conspiracies here.

How about - the U just decided to open up the search to include the most amount of applicants to find their best option.

I really don't think there are any conspiracies here.

All true plus one more. None of the speculated candidates, or other potential candidates who have a decent job now, wants their name out there in case they don't get the job. It's why so many people who don't get a coaching or A.D. job lie and say they weren't offered a job, weren't really interested anyway or that they turned the job down.

Interviews would be pretty hard to hide if Kaler was conducting the search. Using an outside company makes keeping the potential candidates a secret; unless they want to "out" themselves.

Just hire Goetz. Stupid move and a waste of many for the U to employ a search firm. Hire Goetz. It's not like you are hiring a Chemistry or History Professor where you need a national search. In fact most academic hires are done without a search firm.

Just hire Goetz. Stupid move and a waste of many for the U to employ a search firm. Hire Goetz. It's not like you are hiring a Chemistry or History Professor where you need a national search. In fact most academic hires are done without a search firm.

Would Lane Kiffin be a good choice?

This was sarcasm, right?

Not sure you have identified the cause and effect correctly.

I just hope whomever we hire, that said person has a moderately sized tongue.

Top Bottom