WBB: Gophers v Iowa-B1G Game 14 (2/15)

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
Speed Kills:

Following the 98-81 home loss to Ohio State, Iowa (5-8) head coach Lisa Bluder pointed out one of the Hawkeye’s problems:

“I don’t mind playing fast if we’re taking the shots we work on every day: open 3s, making lay-ups,” Bluder said. “But you know, we just got so fast that we started losing our mental focus and taking some shots that we don’t really work on.”

Ohio State simply sped up the usually speedy Hawkeyes sending Iowa to its third straight loss and eighth loss in eleven games. I expect Stollings’ arm may get tired waving the Gophers forward.

As the season wore on, Iowa went younger in its starting lineup. It now features a junior (Disterhoft), two sophomores (Coley and Jennings) and two freshmen (Gustafson and Davis). The sophomores are foul prone. Coley has fouled out of five conference contests (including the Ohio State game) and Jennings three. Both have committed 39 fouls in B1G play.

It’s a team of Miss Basketballs. The 5’4” Tania Davis was Michigan Miss Basketball. Whitney Jennings was Indiana Miss basketball. Ally Disterhoft was Iowa Miss Basketball.

After the Gopher game, Iowa finishes with a favorable schedule: Purdue, Indiana, @ Penn State and Illinois.

The Hawkeyes average 71.8 points per B1G game and allow 75.5.

Last Season at Williams Arena: Minnesota entered the game against the #13 Hawkeyes at 9-5 in the B1G. Amanda Zahui’s monster night (39 points and 29 rebounds) pushed the Gophers to their 10th win and ignited national interest. Iowa’s three leading scorers from that match up, Doolittle, Dixon and Logic, graduated. The oft whiney Disterhoft remains.

B1G Wins: Nebraska (74-68), Rutgers (69-65), @Wisconsin (57-54), Michigan (85-69), @ Northwestern (79-74)

B1G Losses: @Michigan (82-75), Maryland (76-56), @Michigan State (80-73), Penn State (82-69), Purdue (90-73), @Indiana (79-74), Michigan State (74-69), Ohio State (98-81)

Probable Starters:

F Chase Coley: 11.8 points/B1G game
C Megan Gustafson: 9.3 points and 6 rebounds
G Ally Disterhoft: 16.6 points and 6 rebounds
G Tania Davis: 9.2 points
G Whitney Jennings: 11.0 points

Iowa was 10th team beaten in conference last year.... 10th team this year too. Too confident?

Iowa was 10th team beaten in conference last year.... 10th team this year too. Too confident?

If we play the way we have the past 2 games this should be our 10th W. It's pink night 4 breast CA awareness . Our last 3 games are all tough so we need this one and then pull the upset on OSU 2 seal the bid 4 the big dance. Go Gophers!

If we play the way we have the past 2 games this should be our 10th W. It's pink night 4 breast CA awareness . Our last 3 games are all tough so we need this one and then pull the upset on OSU 2 seal the bid 4 the big dance. Go Gophers!

Don't forget about Indy, which might not be a cakewalk. Beating OSU (a Final Four worthy team) is asking a lot, so hopefully they can still make it without doing that. Beating MSU might be enough. How can the committee say no to a team that's 12-6 in a P5 conference plus has a player that tied the NCAA record for single game scoring? Hard to imagine.

Don't forget about Indy, which might not be a cakewalk. Beating OSU (a Final Four worthy team) is asking a lot, so hopefully they can still make it without doing that. Beating MSU might be enough. How can the committee say no to a team that's 12-6 in a P5 conference plus has a player that tied the NCAA record for single game scoring? Hard to imagine the NCAA doing something that makes sense.

FIFY. :)

I know Selection Sunday is worried about the RPI, which I think right now is 80. I would.think if we beat Iowa it should come down to around the bubble.

Rough first half for Mullaney and Wagner.

Somebody needs to help Banham.. Also no board help.Edwards is just standing around. Might want to switch to Barns.

Anyone know why Garven isn't playing? She's played in 9 games. Is that too many to redshirt? I assume they were non conference. Does that make a difference?

Somebody needs to help Banham.. Also no board help.Edwards is just standing around. Might want to switch to Barns.

It's pretty amazing how much the girls struggle at fundamental defense and rebounding, just like the mens team. Something in the campus water?

Gotta move their feet on D and box out.

Anyone know why Garven isn't playing? She's played in 9 games. Is that too many to redshirt? I assume they were non conference. Does that make a difference?

Play in even 1 game, no redshirt.

lokked like bales took a good hit to the head

have to get the whole team involved

What an exciting game! The Gophers overcame that huge FT differential with some great 3pt shooting.

Glad I flipped on to watch the second half. Most entertaining WBB game I have watched this year.

Soooo much better to be able to tune into a rivalry game with a great crowd making some noise.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

espn bracket guy

Just read the opening post of the thread by Ingatious with this quote

The oft whiney Disterhoft remains.

True this, the man knows his opposing players. :)

Top Bottom