Lincoln Journal Star: Was Jerry Kill on Nebraska's radar?

And every NFL team from the start of time has gotten the guy they really wanted in the NFL draft. To believe Riley was their first and ONLY choice is naive, IMO. Kinda like believing Kill would NEVER have left MN for another coaching job because he said it.

I think it is more naive to believe that after a thorough search with a lot of interviews (that never happened) Nebraska picks ... Riley 4 days after firing Bo and they make up a story about how he was their guy all along... If he wasn't their guy they had plenty of time to hunt around, but didn't.

As for Kill I don't have an opinion on that not sure why that matters as far as Riely being hired.

Kill's seizure disorder could have killed him.
By his own statements it is clear that the medicines that controlled his seizures made him less alert and with less energy. So do his job as he wished to he did not take his meds as prescribed with the inevitable return of recurrent seizures.
He knows he is unemployable until his seizures are controlled and the side affects of the medicines tolerable.

Kill's seizure disorder could have killed him.
By his own statements it is clear that the medicines that controlled his seizures made him less alert and with less energy. So do his job as he wished to he did not take his meds as prescribed with the inevitable return of recurrent seizures.
He knows he is unemployable until his seizures are controlled and the side affects of the medicines tolerable.

The ol possum is jus playing dead.....he'll be back.

Well he was hired only 4 days after Pelini was fired so there wasn't much time in between to bring in a number of candidates. Riley was obviously at the top of Eichorst's list.

You are probably right but there is no way to know how much work Eichorst did prior to pulling the plug on Pelini. They did move very fast in hiring Reilly but it could have been in the works for some time prior behind the scenes prior to anything becoming official.

I think it is more naive to believe that after a thorough search with a lot of interviews (that never happened) Nebraska picks ... Riley 4 days after firing Bo and they make up a story about how he was their guy all along... If he wasn't their guy they had plenty of time to hunt around, but didn't.

As for Kill I don't have an opinion on that not sure why that matters as far as Riely being hired.

Well, I never said they did an exhaustive search and interviewed a lot of folks as that would just be wrong. Let's not change the scope of this discussion. I disputed your claim that Riley was their one and only consideration simply because the AD said so. You are welcome to think that and disagree with me. I would appreciate you not putting words in my mouth tho.

Well, I never said they did an exhaustive search and interviewed a lot of folks as that would just be wrong. Let's not change the scope of this discussion. I disputed your claim that Riley was their one and only consideration simply because the AD said so. You are welcome to think that and disagree with me. I would appreciate you not putting words in my mouth tho.

I didn't say you did. I mentioned it because it backs up what the AD said.

I mean there is healthy skepticism and ... straight up not knowing anything about the topic.

I didn't say you did. I mentioned it because it backs up what the AD said.

<b>I mean there is healthy skepticism and ... straight up not knowing anything about the topic.</b>

I haven't held the fact you know nothing about the topic against you.

I truly can't believe folks are buying this (Nebraska?)

While there is no doubt Jerry did a adequate job coaching at the U, he was a far better manipulator (for the lack of a better worded). Do not believe for one second any major football school would hire Kill. His illness would limit or down right prevent him from recruiting top tier recruits and possible the school from terminating him. I'm not saying it's right, I'm just saying it is what it is.

What does annoy me is the constant.......never mind. Let's just say he left when it became apparent the stepping stone wasn't going to lift him up any higher.....IMO.

Being a coach at the U limited his ability to recruit top tier recruits. Unfortunately, it's just who we are. As far as improving recruiting, he did that here. He was a good recruiter. It's really difficult to argue against that notion.

How did it become apparent that the stepping stone wasn't going to lift him up any higher? Kill was aware what our 2016 schedule would look like. If Kill was really just laying low and being a snack in the grass, he would have at least went through the 2016 season. We have a very good chance of winning 9-10 games. If he was really employing the tactics that you seem to be accusing him of, he was smart enough to at least wait and see how 2016 worked out.

Well he was hired only 4 days after Pelini was fired so there wasn't much time in between to bring in a number of candidates. Riley was obviously at the top of Eichorst's list.

You should know better to question Spoofin. I once pointed out what he had claimed to had said was just the opposite of what he actually said. He had predicted that the first TCU game would be an easy win for us after I suggested that they were going to be a VERY good team. Then he backed tracked and said that he always picks the Gophers to win. I don't know if that is true but he sure sounds like he would be perfect for the presidential debates to me.

Being a coach at the U limited his ability to recruit top tier recruits. Unfortunately, it's just who we are. As far as improving recruiting, he did that here. He was a good recruiter. It's really difficult to argue against that notion.

How did it become apparent that the stepping stone wasn't going to lift him up any higher? Kill was aware what our 2016 schedule would look like. If Kill was really just laying low and being a snack in the grass, he would have at least went through the 2016 season. We have a very good chance of winning 9-10 games. If he was really employing the tactics that you seem to be accusing him of, he was smart enough to at least wait and see how 2016 worked out.

Top tier recruits? Where did this ever happen at? Kill as never ever recruited top tier recruits.

Good recruiter? Absolutely, while coaches at similar schools chased stars he recruited who he believed fit his system regardless of stars or lack there of.

2016? If he finished the season, 2015 would have left him with a career sub 500 record with the gophers and 2016 would have made it worst.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top tier recruits? Where did this ever happen at? Kill as never ever recruited top tier recruits.

Good recruiter? Absolutely, while coaches at similar schools chased stars he recruited who he believed fit his system regardless of stars or lack there of.

2016? If he finished the season, 2015 would have left him with a career sub 500 record with the gophers and 2016 would have made it worst.

There is no way any coach who thinks they are good enough to coach at the next level program (which you have implied) would believe for a second that they wouldn't win 8+ games in 2016 (which would put Coach Kill at or over .500 had they finished 2015 with the same record). You may not believe they will (that's up to you), but they have the most favorable schedule situation in many years and Coach Kill knew it. Do you really think Iowa was a top 5 team? No, they were a beneficiary of an easy schedule and they had essentially the same schedule the Gophers have this year.

If this team does go below .500 this year (which is implied by 2016 making Coach Kill's record worse), Coach Claeys will be sent packing as would Coach Kill, if he was still here. There is no excuse with the schedule they have this year.

There is no way any coach who thinks they are good enough to coach at the next level program (which you have implied) would believe for a second that they wouldn't win 8+ games in 2016 (which would put Coach Kill at or over .500 had they finished 2015 with the same record). You may not believe they will (that's up to you), but they have the most favorable schedule situation in many years and Coach Kill knew it. Do you really think Iowa was a top 5 team? No, they were a beneficiary of an easy schedule and they had essentially the same schedule the Gophers have this year.

If this team does go below .500 this year (which is implied by 2016 making Coach Kill's record worse), Coach Claeys will be sent packing as would Coach Kill, if he was still here. There is no excuse with the schedule they have this year.

First off let me clearly state; I don't presume to be right or know everything. It is just an opinion.

I'm operating from the position and belief the gophers benefited from a very down Big Ten the previous two seasons prior to last season. I didn't believe the Gophers would have a good season last year and believe the same applies for next season. In addition I believe Kill knew this and in Jesse the body fashion retired (Jesse believed he wouldn't win re-election and knew he worth was greater choosing not run vs losing).

I have no hard proven facts to offer up and this is only based on MY perception of the man. I whole heartedly admit I could be completely wrong, I'm just sharing my honest opinion.

FYI; coach Claey's will and should get more than 2016. Coach Kill would not have and should not have....IMO. We hired a first time head coach, let him grow into the position.

The ol possum is jus playing dead.....he'll be back.

I strongly believe that Jerry Kill will never be a head coach again. Never is a long time, but I can't see any situation that would change that. His medical situation is very, very severe and prognosis is too heavily weighted toward sudden death....and I'm a JK believer.

Top Bottom