Statement from Beth Goetz, officially throwing her hat in the AD ring.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Why does she deserve it?

She's done a good job keeping the department afloat in the midst of the Teague scandal and Kill retirement. She got the athletic's village groundbreaking done in spite of the Teague scandal. No major donors backed out and several new donations were secured. Everyone within the department likes and trusts her. She is experienced, and certainly understands the challenges our department faces better than any outside candidate.

Point taken, but they can only spend 125K

Even so, if they go the search firm route and end up hiring Goetz that would be a ridiculous waste of time and money. They have had ample time to watch her in action and evaluate her performance.

The only thing I have found a little strange is how long she has taken to officially state her interest in the permanent job. When Kill stepped down Claeys was very vocal about wanting to be his replacement. Different situations but I like the way Claeys was vocal from day one that he wanted the job.

Even so, if they go the search firm route and end up hiring Goetz that would be a ridiculous waste of time and money. They have had ample time to watch her in action and evaluate her performance.

The only thing I have found a little strange is how long she has taken to officially state her interest in the permanent job. When Kill stepped down Claeys was very vocal about wanting to be his replacement. Different situations but I like the way Claeys was vocal from day one that he wanted the job.
Different strokes for different folks. Guessing Goetz waited until support for her was at an all time high. I am willing to bet more people are in favor her now than they were a few months back. As for Claeys while he's still the right guy and the right choice in his position he would want be named as soon as possible, just never know what's gonna happen on the field or on the recruiting trail. As for the 125 K I know the passive aggressive Lutheran's who occupy this state don't want to hear it, but it's chump change, if it vindicates Goetz as the best candidate so be it, if we find somebody "better" than it's worth it as well.

If they in true good faith go and secure a search firm to fill the AD position, I would bet a mountain of cash that the selection is not Goetz.

Even so, if they go the search firm route and end up hiring Goetz that would be a ridiculous waste of time and money.

I don't disagree, but this is a CYA society. The backlash for not hiring a search firm, hiring Goetz, and having her fail is far worse than spending $125K for a search firm to endorse her before hiring her. Insulation.

I don't disagree, but this is a CYA society. The backlash for not hiring a search firm, hiring Goetz, and having her fail is far worse than spending $125K for a search firm to endorse her before hiring her. Insulation.

For crying out loud, what is CYA?

GBUAYMT

Regarding FB Coach and AD...Very different situations requiring different strategies

Different strokes for different folks. Guessing Goetz waited until support for her was at an all time high. I am willing to bet more people are in favor her now than they were a few months back. As for Claeys while he's still the right guy and the right choice in his position he would want be named as soon as possible, just never know what's gonna happen on the field or on the recruiting trail. As for the 125 K I know the passive aggressive Lutheran's who occupy this state don't want to hear it, but it's chump change, if it vindicates Goetz as the best candidate so be it, if we find somebody "better" than it's worth it as well.

I think both chose the best strategies to give them the best opportunity to become the permanent person.

This announcement is awkward at best. Within a week of the announcement of reversing the course and going to the search firm she announces she is a candidate. I think the train has left the station. She had plenty of time to make it known she would like the position, and perhaps she did. Was the announcement of the Search Firm approach actually an attempt to squash her. And the announcement a last attempt to be included?

This announcement is awkward at best. Within a week of the announcement of reversing the course and going to the search firm she announces she is a candidate. I think the train has left the station. She had plenty of time to make it known she would like the position, and perhaps she did. Was the announcement of the Search Firm approach actually an attempt to squash her. And the announcement a last attempt to be included?

I don't think so. By virtue of her acting status, I believe she was always going to be considered if she made her interest known. Her declaration is completely irrelevant to whether or not a search firm is used. I don't think she's a slam dunk candidate to the extent that simply announcing her candidacy would cause the hiring process to change. If anything, I think they're erring on the side of thoroughness here. It's a major hire, and it's hard to fault them for taking their time and looking at both external and internal candidates. But of course, they'll be faulted by some regardless of their approach.

I don't think so. By virtue of her acting status, I believe she was always going to be considered if she made her interest known. Her declaration is completely irrelevant to whether or not a search firm is used. I don't think she's a slam dunk candidate to the extent that simply announcing her candidacy would cause the hiring process to change. If anything, I think they're erring on the side of thoroughness here. It's a major hire, and it's hard to fault them for taking their time and looking at both external and internal candidates. But of course, they'll be faulted by some regardless of their approach.

+19

Honestly, I think she was waiting to see how they officially proceeded. Guessing they really have not been hitting it very hard. Now that a clear process has been communicated, she expressed her interest publicly. Wonder if upcoming BBall tourney will slow things down candidate wise.

Just give Goetz the job. She's already doing a good job at cleaning up the mess that was left before her by the drunk party boy.

Just give Goetz the job. She's already doing a good job at cleaning up the mess that was left before her by the drunk party boy.

Let's not put down all drunk party boys as a group just because of one bad apple. Hardly fair to the rest of us drunk party boys.

I think it is possible they have known for awhile that she wants to be considered for the job. She just wanted to wait to make it known publicly.

I think it is possible they have known for awhile that she wants to be considered for the job. She just wanted to wait to make it known publicly.
Its a matter then of timing. She would have known they were changing from a committee to a search firm before it was announced. If they knew, why not make it public before the switch?

Top Bottom