ESPN: Coaching changes recap: B1G West Division (MN: So much for stability.)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per ESPN:

Wow, what an offseason we've experienced so far in the Big Ten. The dust has cleared from signing day, so we figure it's safe to offer a rundown of coaching changes in the league, starting with the West Division.

We're treating the changes at Illinois and Minnesota, where interim coaches were elevated, as new hires, because, well, they are. So you'll see the holdovers listed, too.

MINNESOTA

Who’s out?

Jerry Kill, head coach

Matt Limegrover, offensive coordinator

Jim Zebrowski, quarterbacks

Who’s in?

Jay Johnson, offensive coordinator

Bart Miller, offensive line

Promoted:

Tracy Claeys, head coach

Jay Sawvel, defensive coordinator

Retained:

Brian Anderson, wide receivers

Rob Reeves, H-backs and tight ends

Pat Poore, running backs and co-special teams coordinator

Mike Sherels, linebackers

Dan O’Brien, assistant defensive backs and co-special teams coordinator

Jeff Phelps, defensive line

Notes: So much for stability. The Gophers avoided a complete reset with the removal of Claeys’ interim tag amid his six-game stretch as head coach after the October resignation of Kill for health reasons. Kill, of course, was renowned for the longevity of his staff. Claeys showed right away that he’ll do this his way, firing Limegrover -- who had been with Kill and Claeys since 1999 and landed at Penn State. Sawvel got a promotion but will still work with the secondary. Johnson most recently ran the Louisiana-Lafayette offense, and Miller, a former Wisconsin assistant, comes from Florida Atlantic.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/130624/coaching-changes-recap-b1g-west-division-2

Go Gophers!!

The only mistake I see is putting Dan O'Brien in the retained part as opposed to the new part. Not sure i would call this piece of work incompetent.

I think Sherman is assuming the football team will go back to struggling by saying 'so much for stability'. Rubbed me the wrong way I guess.

Delete. Wrong Thread. Damn Beer.

Top Bottom