5 keys to the 2016 schedule

pk2

Reaction score
From College Football News. Not a lot of meat to this, but worth a glance, I suppose.

http://collegefootballnews.com/2016/minnesota-football-schedule-2016-5-keys-for-the-golden-gophers

5 Keys to the Schedule

– There’s no TCU-like superpower to start the season like last year with a more manageable non-conference slate. Oregon State, Indiana State, and Colorado State – who almost tagged the Gophers last season – have to come to TCF Bank.

– It’s going to be hard to find a groove in Big Ten play. After not leaving Minneapolis in September, the Gophers alternate road and home games the rest of the way – there aren’t two home games in a row.

– Missing Ohio State, Michigan State and Michigan from the East is a huge break. Going to Penn State is hard, but facing Maryland and Rutgers is nice.

– Iowa and Northwestern are at home, but the showdowns against Nebraska and Wisconsin are on the road late in the season. Having to go away for those two games in late November is an issue.

– WATCH OUT FOR … the road trip to Illinois. It comes during a relatively easy stretch in the middle of the season after a trip to Maryland, a home game against Rutgers, and with a home game against Purdue next. There’s a chance to go on a big run as long as there isn’t a misfire in Champaign.

Another reason to like this year's schedule -- unlike last year, this year no one has an off-week the week before playing us.

We can't overlook anyone, but the keys are:

Iowa

Nebraska

Wisconsin

Northwestern

Win the games we're supposed to win. That's step one. Defend home field is step 2. Use the NC schedule to work the kinks out on defense is 3. Stay healthy is 4. Don't blow your opportunities is 5

It’s going to be hard to find a groove in Big Ten play. After not leaving Minneapolis in September, the Gophers alternate road and home games the rest of the way – there aren’t two home games in a row.

So, there aren't two road games in a row? Sounds more like a positive than negative to me.

So, there aren't two road games in a row? Sounds more like a positive than negative to me.

Agreed, article was glass half empty, with 'there aren't two home games in a row' translated to me that there wasn't two road games in a row. I'd take that...

They should have 8+ wins with this schedule. If they can't make that hope they don't stick to the plan of doubling "Seat Licenses" aka "Scholarship Donation" for 2017 season tickets. That would turn out to be a ugly move!

They should have 8+ wins with this schedule. If they can't make that hope they don't stick to the plan of doubling "Seat Licenses" aka "Scholarship Donation" for 2017 season tickets. That would turn out to be a ugly move!

Eight wins should be the minimum expectation. There has been much talk about how this schedule is so much easier, and it is. You replace TCU, Ohio State and Michigan with Oregon State, Maryland and Rutgers. IF we win those three games and IF everything else goes the same as in 2015 (both big ifs), that gets us to eight wins. That means we lose again to Wisconsin, Nebraska, Iowa and Northwestern. If we win beat one of those and still finish with eight wins, we stumbled somewhere else along the way.

Frankly, I'll be disappointed with eight wins.

We can't overlook anyone, but the keys are:

Iowa

Nebraska

Wisconsin

Northwestern
I'd throw in Penn State we want to set the tone opening weekend. A win in Happy Valley would send a message to the league, a lot like what the win in Ann Arbor did two years ago

I think nine wins is a reasonable expectation next year, eight should be enough too keep Claeys job, anything less all bets are off

I'd throw in Penn State we want to set the tone opening weekend. A win in Happy Valley would send a message to the league, a lot like what the win in Ann Arbor did two years ago

I agree, I would include them with the "not overlook anyone" they might be on the list but Penn St is hard to figure out. Franklin might have just been a flash in the pan and it is possible they could outright fold as much as they could be successful.

I can't see a loss next year until maybe the B1G Championship game. Anything less will be a disappointment to me.

I seem to recall that you b!tched in another thread that this was anti-Gopher sentiment when I b!tched about the same thing. Anyway, I agree that the eight is the minimum and they probably need nine or more wins to keep butts in the seats at those prices.

Expectations are tricky - because there are a lot of variables no one can predict. Injuries - turnovers - penalties - all can change the course of a game or the season.

So, I can't just throw out one number and say that is my expectation.

Here's how I see it:
worst-case scenario: injuries, bad breaks, poor play - team wins less than 6 games and misses a bowl game.
average scenario: team plays OK, but not great - loses some close games - finishes with 6-7 wins and gets a low-level ball game.
better scenario: team avoids injuries, plays well - new players and coaches make difference - team wins 8-9 games and gets a better
bowl game
best-case scenario: everything goes right - team gets all the breaks - Gophs post 10+ wins - Claeys is B1G coach of the year.

One of those scenarios will turn out to be accurate. Which One? I don't have a clue..............

Expectations are tricky - because there are a lot of variables no one can predict. Injuries - turnovers - penalties - all can change the course of a game or the season.

So, I can't just throw out one number and say that is my expectation.

Here's how I see it:
worst-case scenario: injuries, bad breaks, poor play - team wins less than 6 games and misses a bowl game.
average scenario: team plays OK, but not great - loses some close games - finishes with 6-7 wins and gets a low-level ball game.
better scenario: team avoids injuries, plays well - new players and coaches make difference - team wins 8-9 games and gets a better
bowl game
best-case scenario: everything goes right - team gets all the breaks - Gophs post 10+ wins - Claeys is B1G coach of the year.

One of those scenarios will turn out to be accurate. Which One? I don't have a clue..............

I see zero reason the Gophers can't be this year's Iowa (gross to say that). Schedule is favorable, veteran QB, athletes just keep getting better on both sides of the ball. It might be ugly at times, but this team could/should be able to string together a ton of wins next year

I seem to recall that you b!tched in another thread that this was anti-Gopher sentiment when I b!tched about the same thing. Anyway, I agree that the eight is the minimum and they probably need nine or more wins to keep butts in the seats at those prices.

No that was not me. We do agree though.

I see zero reason the Gophers can't be this year's Iowa (gross to say that). Schedule is favorable, veteran QB, athletes just keep getting better on both sides of the ball. It might be ugly at times, but this team could/should be able to string together a ton of wins next year

Well, all but the performance part at the Rose Bowl.

upnorthkid;1178332[B said:
]Win the games we're supposed to win[/B]. That's step one. Defend home field is step 2. Use the NC schedule to work the kinks out on defense is 3. Stay healthy is 4. Don't blow your opportunities is 5

This statement always concerns me. Which games are we supposed to win?????

Maybe categorizing games as which games "we could win" would be a better way to put it. The Gophers aren't in any position to assume winning any game. Last season is a very good example of that.

Definitely an easier schedule in 2016. I would anticipate we will be favored in 7-8 games next fall (Northwestern @ home will likely depend on how each of our seasons unfold). I don't think we will walk into any game as a 10+ point underdog, so it does set up for some magical potentials if we are vastly improved/healthier than 2015. This is still the Gophers, though, so anything over 7 wins I will consider a successful campaign.

This statement always concerns me. Which games are we supposed to win?????

Maybe categorizing games as which games "we could win" would be a better way to put it. The Gophers aren't in any position to assume winning any game. Last season is a very good example of that.

Win the games they will be favored...but point well taken.

Definitely an easier schedule in 2016. I would anticipate we will be favored in 7-8 games next fall (Northwestern @ home will likely depend on how each of our seasons unfold). I don't think we will walk into any game as a 10+ point underdog, so it does set up for some magical potentials if we are vastly improved/healthier than 2015. This is still the Gophers, though, so anything over 7 wins I will consider a successful campaign.

Eight wins for me. No reason they can't. Healthier and faster team in 2016. They will surprise some people.

It all depends on the OL, as always. They never preformed to potential under limey. Can they now? Does the "new offense" get untracked the first year? 2 new coaches in critical positions. Feeling pretty good about the D.

It all depends on the OL, as always. They never preformed to potential under limey. Can they now? Does the "new offense" get untracked the first year? 2 new coaches in critical positions. Feeling pretty good about the D.

Based on last year, they won't have to improve much on the OL to be better. Looking forward to newer faces getting playing time.

Top Bottom