PiPress: When Jerry Kill retired, Gophers QB Jacques Perra took the sign

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Gordon:

Caruso recruited Perra during a senior season in which he was named the 2013 Pioneer Press East Metro and Minnesota Gatorade player of the year. So did Missouri Valley Conference schools North Dakota, South Dakota, Northern Iowa and Drake.

Perra, however, couldn’t bypass a chance to play for Gophers coach Jerry Kill, who offered him a spot on the roster as a non-scholarship player.

“I just thought that was a better opportunity than taking an offer to a smaller D-I school like the Missouri Valley,” Perra said.

“I learned a lot … I got to play against two of best cornerbacks in the country in Eric Murray and [Briean] Boddy-[Calhoun] … It was nice being able to practice against them and do stuff with the best athletes in the nation.”

But Kill’s retirement in October prompted Perra to consider transferring. He said the atmosphere of the Gophers’ program changed when defensive coordinator Tracy Claeys took over, and he admitted “coach Kill was one of the main reasons I was there.

“When coach Claeys came, I didn’t really have a relationship with him,” Perra said. “I just felt like it wasn’t really the place for me to be anymore.”

http://www.twincities.com/2016/02/10/when-jerry-kill-retired-gophers-qb-jacques-perra-took-the-sign/

Go Gophers!!

so he transferred because he didn't have a relationship with the previous defensive coordinator? Was that a shock to him or something?

so he transferred because he didn't have a relationship with the previous defensive coordinator? Was that a shock to him or something?

If he would have said the inverse of that, I doubt you would have had a problem with it.

If Kill never retired and Perra said "Part of the reason I stayed is because of my strong relationship with Coach Kill", none of us would have had any issue with that. He wasn't recruited by Claeys, he didn't rip on Claeys, he just said that close relationship does not exist anymore. Made sense to me.

Other than the fact winter sports in this town suck, what's the point of the article? Oh that's right slow news quarter...

unless you're in the room when a player is being recruited, you don't know what was said. What promises the coach may - or may not - have made, or implied. And, people being human, sometimes things are misinterpreted. Perra may have thought Kill promised him something, and didn't know or believe that Claeys would honor that promise.

Or - he decided he was never going to crack the depth chart and went looking for greener pastures.........

If he would have said the inverse of that, I doubt you would have had a problem with it.

If Kill never retired and Perra said "Part of the reason I stayed is because of my strong relationship with Coach Kill", none of us would have had any issue with that. He wasn't recruited by Claeys, he didn't rip on Claeys, he just said that close relationship does not exist anymore. Made sense to me.

Who said I have a problem with it? Just saying why would a 3rd or 4th string QB have a relationship with the DC?

Who said I have a problem with it? Just saying why would a 3rd or 4th string QB have a relationship with the DC?

Ok. Well then to answer your question, he never said it was a shock to him that he didn't have a relationship with Claeys.

They run the scout team, so he should have had the best relationship with the DC.

They run the scout team, so he should have had the best relationship with the DC.

If the DC is interacting much with the scout team QB its a weird setup. I don't know specifically how MN runs it but my guess is its a grad assistant or quality control type that is working with the scout team while the defensive coaches are, ya know, coaching the defensive players

Elsewhere it said he made the decision because he didn't play last year (kind of a big expectation...).

I figure any coaching change and this is likely to happen.

per Gordon:

Caruso recruited Perra during a senior season in which he was named the 2013 Pioneer Press East Metro and Minnesota Gatorade player of the year. So did Missouri Valley Conference schools North Dakota, South Dakota, Northern Iowa and Drake.

!

The writer should have done a little research - North Dakota and Drake are not in the Valley.

If the DC is interacting much with the scout team QB its a weird setup. I don't know specifically how MN runs it but my guess is its a grad assistant or quality control type that is working with the scout team while the defensive coaches are, ya know, coaching the defensive players

Typically it's the defensive grad assistant coaches that work with the offensive scout team. They know what look the defensive coaches are trying get during scout team work.

Other than the fact winter sports in this town suck, what's the point of the article? Oh that's right slow news quarter...

He transferred to St. Thomas. That makes it relevant. Also, that thing in minneapolis that people use to wrap dead fish in or line their bird cages with believes that every Minnesota boy is above average and the U should be starting him ahead of the other Minnesota boys on the roster.....ummm, wait. Maybe if Clemson had been smart enough to recruit Parra they would have beaten Alabama?

The favorite player in GH history: Jacques Perra

He would have been an All-American if the coaches would have just given him a chance....

The favorite player in GH history: Jacques Perra

He would have been an All-American if the coaches would have just given him a chance....

Oh, I don't know if he is the favorite in GH history. Max Shortell was pretty damn popular when he transferred out. I also recall a tremendous amount of love for DCT when he quit. The latter is my personal fav for this board ("imagine what we could do if DCT was still here").

No big deal here.

TC is not Jerry and the program will change. I'm sure there are many other players who came to the UM because of Coach Kill and it appears that most are still hanging around.

so I am not sure the Coach retiring was his clue but the fact that we pulled the red shirt off a kid with potential instead of giving Perra a few snaps at Northwestern was the sign for me.

I thought after that game Perra was gone and i don't blame him if he wants to play and not just ride the bench

if a coach didn't give you a shot there (since we know now that the rest of the year Croft got little PT and that one season of eligibility was wasted on several 3 and outs in Northwestern) he will never give you a real chance to play

Some of you guys are such ****** bags on this forum.

Okay, people. Hey, the kid is gone. We have plenty of QB's like him. Don't hate on him. Who cares?

Some PEOPLE on here are ****** bags.

Okay, people. Hey, the kid is gone. We have plenty of QB's like him. Don't hate on him. Who cares?

Some PEOPLE on here are ****** bags.

It's kind of like betting horses. You love "your horse" until the moment you realize it won't win. At that moment you start rooting against your horse - rather having him finish last than 2nd. Folks loved Perra, but as soon as he leaves the U the same folks would rather he fail then be any good elsewhere. He was "their horse".

That's hilarious, but in a strange way, I do understand.

It's kind of like betting horses. You love "your horse" until the moment you realize it won't win. At that moment you start rooting against your horse - rather having him finish last than 2nd. Folks loved Perra, but as soon as he leaves the U the same folks would rather he fail then be any good elsewhere. He was "their horse".

When he goes on to become a D-3 all-american, people will say he wasn't utilized properly at the U.

so I am not sure the Coach retiring was his clue but the fact that we pulled the red shirt off a kid with potential instead of giving Perra a few snaps at Northwestern was the sign for me.

I thought after that game Perra was gone and i don't blame him if he wants to play and not just ride the bench

if a coach didn't give you a shot there (since we know now that the rest of the year Croft got little PT and that one season of eligibility was wasted on several 3 and outs in Northwestern) he will never give you a real chance to play

You nailed it. That was a sure sign he would never see the field. Hope he does great at St Thomas.

Top Bottom