STrib: Gophers basketball transfers get better together

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Amelia:

Hours before the Gophers men’s basketball team plays a game on the road, there’s often another battle going down back home on the University of Minnesota campus.

On an otherwise deserted Bierman Building practice court, 6-9 Reggie Lynch and 6-8 Davonte Fitzgerald will square off in a lopsided game of 1-on-1.

“He always wants to start on the perimeter — I try to start inside,” Lynch said. The center doesn’t have Fitzgerald’s shooting touch and range, but he does have 55 pounds on his counterpart, and baseball mitts for hands. He grinned.

“I’ve won most of them.”

Fitzgerald chuckled but couldn’t argue.

“He’s a handful in the post,” the wing said. “But that’s why I like going against him. He’s a man amongst boys down there.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-basketball-transfers-get-better-together/368261381/

Go Gophers!!

per Amelia:

Hours before the Gophers men’s basketball team plays a game on the road, there’s often another battle going down back home on the University of Minnesota campus.

On an otherwise deserted Bierman Building practice court, 6-9 Reggie Lynch and 6-8 Davonte Fitzgerald will square off in a lopsided game of 1-on-1.

“He always wants to start on the perimeter — I try to start inside,” Lynch said. The center doesn’t have Fitzgerald’s shooting touch and range, but he does have 55 pounds on his counterpart, and baseball mitts for hands. He grinned.

“I’ve won most of them.”

Fitzgerald chuckled but couldn’t argue.

“He’s a handful in the post,” the wing said. “But that’s why I like going against him. He’s a man amongst boys down there.”

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-basketball-transfers-get-better-together/368261381/

Go Gophers!!

Does Murohy have a chance of starting with these two in next years mix? If not is he a risk to transfer?

Does Murohy have a chance of starting with these two in next years mix? If not is he a risk to transfer?

Lynch will be battling Konate for starting at Center so that shouldn't cause any effect on Murphy. Fitzgerald is really an unknown at this point, outside of practice. He averaged 7 and 2 back in the 13-14 season and 3 and 2 last year. From what Murphy has shown this year he will be one of our best players next year so I can't see him not starting. If I'm wrong (and I hope I am) it means we will be in very good shape talent wise for the next few years.

LOL. Of course. He starts. Gets a couple quick fouls. Fitz plays the rest of the 1st half.
These two are being held up as saviors, so be prepared to be disappointed.

It is true with pretty much any fan base that the guys no one has seen play (in a uniform, in game action) are always really good players. It's the back-up QB syndrome, especially when your favorite team is having a historically bad season.

It is true with pretty much any fan base that the guys no one has seen play (in a uniform, in game action) are always really good players. It's the back-up QB syndrome, especially when your favorite team is having a historically bad season.

Lynch will almost certainly be a definite upgrade. Fitzgerald - we'll see.

Lynch will almost certainly be a definite upgrade. Fitzgerald - we'll see.

Agree that Lynch should be an upgrade but the way many on GH talk about the guy there will be disappointment if he doesn't put up Mo Walker offensive stats and Mbakwe defensive stats.

Agree that Lynch should be an upgrade but the way many on GH talk about the guy there will be disappointment if he doesn't put up Mo Walker offensive stats and Mbakwe defensive stats.

Disagree with the former, agree with the latter. No one really pumps up Lynch's offensive game here, all he really needs to do on that side of the ball is be able to catch and make passes and get put backs. That in itself will open things up for the guards and wings

LOL. Of course. He starts. Gets a couple quick fouls. Fitz plays the rest of the 1st half.

Saying they will help improve the team and talent doesn't mean people are calling them saviors.

Amelia is getting played with all these transfer articles. It gives her something to write about so she is a willing participant but it is no coincidence that the two Gophers who cannot play in an 0-11 season keep getting stories written about them.

I agree with Selection Sunday, I will wait until they play to get hyped up.

I chuckle with your comment as well. Especially getting quick fouls. No I don't anticipate them saviors either, just going on what I read I get a sense Lynch may be a rebound machine like Murphy but more developed. Guess I then got excited hearing Fitz can handle Lynch one on one regularly.

Fitz is a step up and will make a difference because he adds he depth we are missing at his position. Lynch will be a big improvement for Konate. Team will get so much better with five new players and we don't lose much talent. Plus the freshman gain strength and experience. Plus maybe Coffey will be all we think he can be.

Lynch will be battling Konate for starting at Center so that shouldn't cause any effect on Murphy. Fitzgerald is really an unknown at this point, outside of practice. He averaged 7 and 2 back in the 13-14 season and 3 and 2 last year. From what Murphy has shown this year he will be one of our best players next year so I can't see him not starting. If I'm wrong (and I hope I am) it means we will be in very good shape talent wise for the next few years.

Nate Mason, Amir Coffey, Devante Fitzgerald/Buggs, Jordan Murphy, Reggie Lynch. Starting lineup for 2017 round of 64.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I chuckle with your comment as well. Especially getting quick fouls. No I don't anticipate them saviors either, just going on what I read I get a sense Lynch may be a rebound machine like Murphy but more developed. Guess I then got excited hearing Fitz can handle Lynch one on one regularly.

I'll be shocked if Murphy doesn't start, and there's absolutely no reason to even think about him transferring right now. Also, you may have read that article wrong. Lynch is the one who supposedly wins most of their games of 1-on-1.

Top Bottom