WBB: Gophers v Huskers-B1G Game 12 (2/11)

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score
Down the Stretch:

Last season’s Husker visit to Williams ended with one of the great comebacks in Gopher history. Minnesota, trailing by 17 with 10 minutes remaining, rallied for a 72-69 victory. Following a missed Mullaney free throw, with about 2:00 remaining, Nebraska 6’5” sophomore post, Allie Havers, threw Amanda Zahui to the court for her fourth foul (okay, okay, Amanda provided a little embellishment). On the inbounds, Amanda took it to Havers for a layup cutting the Husker lead to 67-64.

This season, Havers teams up with some impressive inside muscle, B1G Freshman of the Year in waiting, 6’4” Jessica Shepard. Shepard is averaging 21 points and 10 rebounds per B1G game.

The Huskers lost their first three conference games before winning five straight. Their best win is either Purdue or Michigan. Like the Gophers, they split with Rutgers.

Last Sunday, in Bloomington, Nebraska suffered an offensive meltdown. The Hoosiers forced the Huskers into 26 turnovers (10 by Shepard). And Nebraska shot only 2-13 from three (Romeo, one of the B1G’s best three point shooters was 0-7). Indiana focused on frustrating Shepard and Havers and the frustration spread. While the Hoosiers were offensively challenged (2-16 from three and 28% from the field), it was enough.

I assume, to cure the frustration, Connie Yori has shown Havers and Shepard video of Hallie Thome (31 points) and Alex Wittinger (27 points) going off against the Gophers.

NCAA RPI and Strength of Schedule (February 9)

Nebraska (7-5): RPI-73, SOS-153
Minnesota (8-4): RPI-86, SOS-171

Nebraska in the B1G:

B1G Wins: Illinois (73-57), @Penn State (73-57), Rutgers (65-54), Purdue (62-61), @Michigan (93-81), Wisconsin (75-62), Penn State (87-69)

B1G Losses: Iowa (74-68), @Northwestern (85-62), @ Maryland (89-50), @ Rutgers (66-56), @ Indiana (59-47).

Injury Report: Esther Ramacieri has missed several games. Rachel Theriot occasionally shows the effects of her off season foot surgery.

Probable Husker Starters:

F Jessica Shepard: 21 points and 10 rebounds per B1G game.
C Allie Havers: 6.8 rebounds
G Kyndal Clark
G Natalie Romeo: 15.9/B1G game (Romeo has 46 threes and Banham 45)
G Rachel Theriot: 7 assists/B1G game

This team is the type of team that gives the Gophers trouble. The inside presence might be too much for the Gophers.

It is Game 13! Not 12. Sorry about that.

Next year we return to the 16 game conference schedule.

If they dump Nebraska I feel good about them making the tourney. If we weren't in Arizona, we would certainly attend the game.

http://journalstar.com/sports/huske...cle_256787a2-54ab-5c57-8e68-f5b5f5fa53d5.html

Connie Yori talks about guarding Rachel:

Now the tricky part is, the Huskers have to find a way to stop — slow down, really — the player they were so impressed with a few days ago. Nebraska plays at Minnesota on Thursday, with the Huskers very much in need of a win to get back in the NCAA Tournament conversation after losing two of their past three games.

Banham poses a challenge because she will both drive hard to the basket and shoot three-pointers. Yori said several Huskers will be used to defend Banham, and they’ll probably get help from others on the floor.

“We don’t have as much size as we have in the past on her,” Yori said. “Hailie Sample guarded her a lot in the past, and Tear’a Laudermill guarded her some, too. We were able to put size, and then quickness, on her, and mix up who was guarding her. Now we just don’t have much size to do that. She’s incredible. She’s competitive, and she wants the ball in her hands. She wants to make every play, yet she’s willing to give the ball up. She’s really special.”

Are they gonna pay so much attention to Banham that it'll free up Wagner for a big game?

Seems like Wagner gets the tougher defender most of the time, probably because of position gets the taller defender. I think she had Copper on her for most of the Rutgers game. That's no easy task. She also seems to have cut down on the three point shooting. Not sure what to make of that.

Gophers up 89-53........end of 3rd quarter.

Banham 28? pts

FINAL: Gophers win 110-73.

Could have been higher total. Started taking out starters with about 5(?) minutes to play.

Gophers up 89-53........end of 3rd quarter.

Banham 28? pts
Banham finishes with 32 but did not play the last 5-6 minutes of the game. We go to 9-4 and this team is the only bright spot in the TC sports market. Go Gophers!

Banham finishes with 32 but did not play the last 5-6 minutes of the game. We go to 9-4 and this team is the only bright spot in the TC sports market. Go Gophers!

Great win and I agree Gringa! Just think if Rebekah Dahlman was a Gopher, this time would really be balanced.

Anyone know why ESPN refuses to put this team in there weekly braketology bracket?

Ridiculous ESPN doesn't even have them on any sort of bubble.

Great win and I agree Gringa! Just think if Rebekah Dahlman was a Gopher, this time would really be balanced.

Dahlman has been struggling. Chase Coley, who went to Iowa (next Gopher victim), would be a beautiful fit for this team.

Dahlman has been struggling. Chase Coley, who went to Iowa (next Gopher victim), would be a beautiful fit for this team.

Was Chase from Washburn high? She was fun to watch in high school. I thought Dahlman was playing great defense and contributing on offense too.

Nebraska hit the court ready to run the Gophers out of Williams Arena and finished by dragging their tired butts to the halftime locker room. It was 20-19 at the first media time out. Then the Gophers delivered a sometimes electrifying 20-5 second quarter and a knockout punch 38-20 third quarter.

Gophers are now tied with Michigan State (who lost at home to Penn State) for third place. The Hawkeyes (who lost to Ohio State tonight) come to Minneapolis Monday. But, before then, this game should keep the conversation going. Rachel's behind the back assist was just one of a flurry of great inside passing plays that had the Huskers heads spinning. And of course, Rachel punctuated the proceedings by knocking down some ridiculous deep threes.

For those of you getting frustrated with the men's team, the ladies are quite fun to watch. You won't get many more chances to watch Rachel B.

The girls are really getting after it. Put a hurt on Iowa and I think they're girls get to the dance.

In the Gophers best game of the season:

Minnesota out rebounded Nebraska 57-35
Minnesota shot 44-80 from the field (44%) and 10-25 from three (40%)

Starters:

Lamke
Banham
Bailey
Starr
Wagner

Minutes Played (Everyone played):

35 Wagner: 20 points
29 Banham: 32 points
29 Bailey: 11 points
24 Mullaney: 12 points
21 Hedstrom
18 Starr: 11 points
17 Edwards: 8 points and 9 rebounds
16 Barnes: 10 rebounds and 2 nice assists in very good effort
5 Lamke
2 Garven
2 Johnson
2 Buckingham

So Edwards and Barnes both out rebounded the super freshman Shepard in 11 and 12 less minutes respectively. Definitely didn't see that coming.

http://www.dailynebraskan.com/sport...cle_12ec21e2-d13a-11e5-88f6-3f128cd73add.html

Some quotes from Husker head coach Connie Yori: (She didn't enjoy the game as much as the rest of us)

The 110 points ties the highest point total a Nebraska team has given up in school history.

“110 points,” Nebraska coach Connie Yori said. “I’m pretty certain I’ve never given up that many points in my 26 years as a head coach. We obviously have to do a better job defensively, and I think it starts on that end.”

“We were quick on some shots in the second quarter when the game got away from us,” Yori said. “For the most part, we did have good shots, but you have to make them. Minnesota makes a lot of shots, and I’m sure those kids put in a lot of time in the gym. We got to see our kids in the gym more.”

“We just had too many defensive breakdowns,” Yori said. “Credit to Minnesota, they are a great offensive team and it starts with their guards. But we broke down too much. We didn’t handle our ball-screen defense well, particularly early.”

Going hand-in-hand with the ball-screen defense was a lack of rotation resulting in an abundance of scoring for the Gophers.

“We didn’t help the helper today,” Yori said. “And they got a lot of easy baskets around the rim because of the fact we didn’t rotate very well.”

Top Bottom